About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cravings   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Mar-29 by JeanSody; 386 views.
JeanSody

Mar-29

Quit date 03/20/2020.  Support from 20 yr old daughter.  
I feel like I waste so much time thinking about the cravings.  It s not fun. 

DebraAnne60

Mar-29

The cravings with disappear as soon as you stop thinking about them.   Distract yourself with something else.  Drink some cold water or have a popsicle, go for a walk  or tour the internet.  There are tons of ideas on this forum to help you with distractions.    Check out the library and read the posts of others on this forum.  The longer your are away from the smoking, the easier it becomes but it does take time.   You have made the hardest choice,  you have chosen to quite.  Now, you get to decide what you are going to do with yourself instead of smoke.  What would you like to do.  Maybe learn to knit, maybe learn to paint, maybe write, maybe get more exercise, maybe plant a garden, maybe write some letters  to friends and family that you cannot visit right now - so many other things that you can do instead of smoke.  

Write on this forum.  we re only to happy to read and write back.  You can do this if you want to.

Cheers

JerseyDee

Mar-29

Hi and welcome. Congrats on getting to day 4 .. you can do this.  I promise it does get easier after you get through the first week and easier than that after you get to the next week.  I am new into this and everyday it gets a little eaiser.

Cravings eventually get less frequent ... but we are quitting at a time when everything is a little topsy tury in the world right now giving us more free time to just dwell on cravings ..

That said .. do something, anything to fill up that time and recondition your brain during the time a craving comes on.  Some people swear by drinking cold water through a straw.  DebraAnne on this forum has found eating an orange then can be very helpful.

I try turn to this board to write away when I have a craving.  I also find a piece of dark chocolate helps.  Popping in a piece of nicotene gum a couple times a day helps.  And .. I have been taking lots of dog walks and cleaning .. lots of cleaning projects .. last weekend I tackled every closet in my apartment .. and there a quite a few of them here!

Just do something to get your mind off the craving.  Eventually you will find that it does get easier .. I promise.  You are just in what is known as 'hell week' right now.  

Read through this forum and keep posting.  You are in the right place.  Hang in there.

- Deana

3/5/20 ... Stop polluting myself 

JerseyDee

Mar-29

You beat me by a minute DebraAnne and our posts were very similar!  .. I didn't see yours first I promise .. but we both had virtually the same comments .. distract yourself! .. It does work and it does get easier.  It is working for me .. and this board has been a big help for me as well.  Halfway into week 4 now .. hard to believe the time is just cruising by!  

DebraAnne60

Mar-29

Isnt that funny eh, we were doing the same thing at the same time.  You are doing great.  Almost a month - I knew once you got started you would  go all the way.  Keep your guard up though, the threat of a relapse is ever present.   Posting on the forum helps alot as I am sure you are well aware.  What a lovely day it is outside today.  18  degrees.  Great day to be outside.

Cheers Dee!

JerseyDee

Mar-29

Yes .. I keep my guard up on that monster.  I know I feel like I am winning right now but know at any time that beast can strike.  The gum is a big help right now and so is walking.  Tomorrow I have some errands to run like picking up some RX refills and grocery shopping ... don't love the idea of being out in the community but am going to wear gloves ..

On the other hand it will be nice to get out of this lock down for a little while.  In the meantime I am going to go take the dog for a walk now. It is NOT 18* here .. cripes that's cold! .. I don't know what it is here .. haven't looked but maybe close to about 50* .. clouds and gray gloom but at least no rain.

Am chewing a piece of gum right now and it has taken the edge off.  I need this gum and I am no longer beating myself up for it .. but I think it's so great that you were able to do it without NRT's .. that's some tough stuff!  Good on you! ..

And yes, I can not believe on Wed night I can say it's been precisely 4 weeks since last puff.  I am saving my lungs and saving my bank account.  And saving my perfume lasting ability and my skin and on and on and on.  It's just such a win, win, win .. the week before my last puff I really didn't think I was going to be able to do this .. your encouragement meant and means a lot .. thank you!

DebraAnne60

Mar-29

You can do this.  I have no doubts.  I should have mention that we (Canada) are on celsius so 18 degrees is warm. About  64F.  Springtime.

Cheers!

JerseyDee

Mar-29

Oh .. I get it ; ) .. I thought you were just making a joke as it was really cold by you.  Makes sense.  Weather sounds really nice.  I do not think we are up that high today.  Sorta a dark and gloomy day on this end .. no sunshine to be found today.

JeanSody

Mar-29

Thanks! 
Today I also stopped using nicotine gum...because I felt like it made me want to smoke even more. 
So far so good ... today is day #9 after almost 40 years!

JeanSody

Mar-29

Thank you...

I had read a post from a young women in Italy who was suffering from Covid19.... she had said...”if you smoke, put them down...you will need your #$*&+@# Lungs for this one!”

so today is day #9 without...

I will try the water trick.