About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Handling Stress Without A Craving ...    General Chit-Chat

Started Mar-29 by JerseyDee; 147 views.
JerseyDee

Mar-29

Have to share a triumph .. just handled a little life stresser without the knee-jerk reaction for a smoke because of it.

The arm of my favorite pair of reading glasses just broke off.  They are not expensive .. just pick them up at the dollar store but need them now when on computer or read.  So it is not the expense that bothers me and i have a few pairs of other ones .. however, I just love the frames on these and I might not be able to find them again ..

I call all but guarentee this bothersome situation would have made me want to light up a month ago.  Now .. annoyed me but not for a second did it even occur to me to light up because of it. 

Making a lot of progress and felt the need to share.  Please share your stories as such .. where/when did you feel you were overcoming this addiction?  When did you notice such a triumph?  Be it little or big?

DebraAnne60

Mar-29

Have you ever watched one of Tom Cruise mission impossible movies.  Talk about stress.  The whole movie, 2 plus hours of intense stress.  I mean, its just......

I was barely hanging on.....just like Cruise in the movies.

Even though I thought about it several times, I did not light up.  Makes me smile how I teased myself all afternoon.  hahaha, I win

Cheers

JerseyDee

Mar-29

No .. I have actually never seen those movies but it sounds like you do win!

Itvstarted to drizzle here now so no walk .. Missed my window of opportunity forvwalk today.

Spent some time on phone to pass the tines but actually quite bored at tge moment. Have some things to take care of tomorrow but the test of the week might be VERY long.

Are you also shut down on a lock out in Ontario as well? Are you still working? Are companies open?

DebraAnne60

Mar-30

Hiya Dee, 

Only non-essential services are shut down.  Many of us are still working but we go straight to work and straight back home again.  Have taken a few walks, lots of walking around the garden.  Still not quite warm enough to start any gardening.  Although yesterday was a really nice day, it chilly and rainy today.  Hoping the warm weather comes back.  Do you have a garden you can work in during the spring and summer?

Have you thought anymore about writing those tales of your grandfather's settlement.  I thought that would be a very interesting project.  

My hometown has built a whole website on "you know you grew up in St. Thomas when" and there are many people interested in the settlements.  Just a thought.

Have you been able to keep in touch with your family over all of this?

Hang in there, things will get better - and we will emerge as non-smokers in the new world.  Cheers!

JerseyDee

Mar-30

Good Morning.  The spring and summer garden sound nice.  I think there some in some public parks not far from here .. I will have to google to that out when the weather starts to get a little warmer.  Thanks for the suggestion.

As far as starting to get a plan going to writing that book I am swirling it around in my mind and have even talked to friends and family about  it ... all encouraging me to do so. The stumbling block right now is ALL the research that will be involved this ... I would have to know very speciifcs of what 1930's rural Kansas was like and the very precise climate of Boston and Harvard at that the time as well .. I would need to know a lot of information as  a back drop to writing ..

i mean tons and tons of information would need to be gathered as it is really also a time piece.  That would take me a lot of time and I feel a bit overwhelmed when I think of that daunting task.  But I still am swirling it around in mind.

Just getting back from some errands.  I was very surprised to see just how many people are still going about their business on the roads and in the stores.   Now I have a few hours to kill .. guess I will get some cleaning done .. but do plan to take the dog for a walk later this afternoon.

You are so right we will come out the other end of this as non-smokers.  At 3 months you are essentially there already!

Thanks for all your encouragement.  Enjoy what's left of this Monday morning.