About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

It's 3 rd day since I stopped    Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Apr-2 by Jedxviv; 618 views.
Jedxviv

Apr-2

Hey guys 

It's successful 3 rd day , I was smoker I never missed a single day in past 12 years , suddenly due to lockdown, cigarette were not available easily,  I decided this is right time , and now I m happy to know I can live without smoking , feeling energised ,

But still I am using vape 3 mg to stay away from cigarette , please suggest some additional measure to stick to plan .

JerseyDee

Apr-2

Hello Jed. I don't know anything about vaping personally but can tell you that two weeks before I put on my last cigarette on 3/4 I cut back from 30 smokes a day to a few a day then one a day and then felt ready to let go of the saftey blanket andbeent down to 0.

It was scary to take that final plunge but so glad I did. Now my lungs feel better already ... And .. We nerd strong lungs to fight off this virus.  Now is the time to put down that vape too.

Dig deep and come up with your quit plan and just do it. It is scary atvfirst but I know you can.

Read through this forum ... You will find it empowering. We are here for you.

- Deans

3/5/20 ... Finally stopped killing myself

Hi Jed,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on quitting smoking.   Checkout the April Ex-Smokers thread below especially the articles.   

Keep coming back.

Practical Tips for Your First Smoke-Free Week

Updated November 19, 2015. You may feel like you're on a roller coaster during the first couple of weeks of smoking cessation. Whether you use a quit aid of some sort or go cold turkey, you're going to feel some discomforts due to nicotine withdrawal.

Jedxviv

Apr-3

Glad you started your journey , vaping has same throut hit and small amount of nicotine which fools brain that you smoke , but it is 95 %less harmful , from day one after using it I don't feel like to go back to my bad habbit ,wish you best wishes

JerseyDee

Apr-3

Not for me.   Vaping is addictive as well and I have seen many stories of lots of people who have died from it.  Still a dangerous addiction it seems.  You are better off just putting that thing down and quitting nicotene altogether.

I haven't stuck any form of thing to smoke or suck into my mouth for a month now I am happy to say.  You will be in better health if you can stop with that vaping habit.  I wish you luck in getting to that point .. I hope you are able to.

Loreficent

Apr-3

Hi Jed,

So good you are choosing to not smoke. I am also not someone who vapes, but am using nicotine gum. It is quite helpful. 
There has been some recent issues with vaping of which I’m not completely familiar. 
We are here for you either way. Might be interesting to experiment a little and see if gum or patches combined with “smoking a straw” might be helpful for you too. 
Whatever you do, keep doing it without cigarettes for sure. There is a ton of stuff on this forum and on the bottom tab under Library that is good for insight into the addiction overall and overcoming it.

Good luck! Stop back in and let us know how things are going!

Jatchat

Apr-4

Hi Jed,

Congratulations on putting the cigarettes down, there are some very helpful post on this board that can help you maintain your quit, I started with quite a lot of NRT and am now down to just a couple of lozenges a day, they do help, I encourage you to read and post as often as you like, we are all here for you.

Kind regards

Anthony

Jedxviv

Apr-4

Thank you very much for your valuable inputs , may I know what is NRT 

Loreficent

Apr-4

Hi Jed,

NRT stands for nicotine replacement therapy. It can be in the for of nicotine gum, nicotine patch worn on the skin, or a nicotine lozenges that is melted in the mouth like a cough drop would be.

They are designed to help with smoking cessation by replacing the nicotine to some extent when someone stops cigarettes. The idea is over time the dose of nicotine is gradually reduced and eventually you stop the NRT altogether.

Msg 5746.10 deleted