About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Time to quit   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Apr-3 by John1508; 1290 views.
John1508

Apr-3

Hi All

My name is John and I am trying to quit smoking.

I had my last smoke over a month ago.

I am feeling really good about it .This time something clicked  and I decided to stop for health reasons.I tried e few times in the past but it did not work.

I went cold turkey this time.

I have read so many articles and stories  on this forum about ex smokers that gave me the encouragement to give it up.

i have been smoking for over 30 years and I hope to give it up for good this time.

DebraAnne60

Apr-3

You will find lots of support and information on this forum.  I am also cold turkey and now three months in.  We are here to support you however we can.  Congratulations on your one month quite.  Best decision for your life.

Cheers

John1508

Apr-3

Thank you for the encouragement and support.

Congrats on your three  month’s without smoking,

Yes we need to stay strong and help one another on this journey to stay smoke free.

Hi John,

Welcome and congratulations on over a month free from cigarettes.   My best advice is to read and post as much as you can here.  The more you know about nicotine addiction, the better your chance of success.  

I included a link to the March Ex-Smokers thread but feel free to drop in anywhere you like and get to know some of your quit buddy's.  For me, my quit buddy group was a life line and yrs later we are all still very close.  Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I ever did but worth every minute  of discomfort.  Take it one day at a time.  You can do this.

John1508

Apr-3

Thank you Marge for your support and good wishes.

I come on this forum daily and read a lot as there is so much information and that is what is keeping me going from strength to strength and of course the will power and motivation to give it up and gain more from life.

JerseyDee

Apr-3

Good Morning John -- we are walking a similar course.  I also quit a month ago and had been smoking for 30 yrs.

You have found  great resource in finding this forum.  It has been a very helpful tool in my arsenal in this quit.  There are some very helpful and empowering people here and I think they/it will also help you in your quest.

Please come back and read and write often.  I am interested in being quit buddies and keeping each on other accountable and check as we are on such similar tracks.

We CAN do this.  We are doing this!  Bop and Weave and get it done!

Have a pleasant Friday morning.  Look forward to reading your next post.  - Deana

3/5/20 -- Found the path to freedom

Loreficent

Apr-3

Hi John,

I see you said “trying to quit “  and smoked your last cigarette a month ago. Woohoo!!! I would say that you did quit! A month is a huge leap forward. Embrace the present fact that you are a non smoker. You will forever be a non smoker now unless you light up again. That is wonderful! Celebrate now as you deserve it. Yes, remain vigilant and yes it still takes leaning into some cravings and caving. Still though, give yourself the recognition you’ve earned. It is so good!!

Glad you stopped in! Keep us posted and don’t hesitate to reach out here for support and understanding. It is a unique thing to go through that everyone here understands.

John1508

Apr-3

Hi Deanna,

Thank you for your lovely messsage.

Yes , we are both going down the same road with similar smoking habits  and WE WILL DO IT THIS TIME AROUND .

I am amazed at this forum with the amount of information.I read daily all the issues  we ex smokers have battling this addiction.

I am also interested in being quit buddies.

Looking forward to your next message.

John1508

Apr-3

Thank you for your post and really appreciate all of you for replying and supporting me and helping me to quit.

Will stay in touch.

Regards

John

JerseyDee

Apr-3

Yes ... It is amazing just what a strangelhold this addiction really had on us. As they say here often iflt truly is junkie thinking ... Our drug just happened to have bern tobacco/nicotene.

Good for you in doing it cold turkey ... I am chewing 2-3 pieces of gum a day.

Are you in lock down where you are? Working? Do you have more time than usual on your hands right now where you have to work hard to distract yourself from thinking about it?

How much did you used to some?