About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

YOU GOT THIS   Quit Support

Started Apr-3 by HTHeather; 372 views.
HTHeather

Apr-3

Hey y'all,

Almost 14 years ago, I used this forum to help me quit smoking. And I have been smoke-free, not one puff, since my 40th birthday. I dropped in today just to tell you that YOU CAN DO THIS. You ARE doing this. And I promise, pinky-swear, that you are making the best decision of your life. I can barely remember the pain of quitting now—but I thank myself every damn day that I did. Freedom is so sweet.

So, keep it on the road. Make some herbal tea. Drink water or go for a walk or grab that cinnamon stick—whatever it takes.

13-years-from-today you will thank today you so much for the perseverance you are putting in right now.

You got this.

Love to all,

Heather

JerseyDee

Apr-3

Thanks for dropping in Heather.   Your post was very inspirational and motivational.   14 yrs .. just can not imagine .. must feel like you smoked a whole other lifetime ago now.  I am 1 month into this .. it's a long and challenging road at times but *most* of the time I am muddling through and keeping myself distracted despite being in lock down here.

I simply can not wait until the day .. one day .. when I can look back at my smoking days in away that it is just a fading memory.  Tell me .. how far down the road until the cravings finally stop altogether?  I hope you will say that you never, ever even remotely think of a cigarette and haven't in a decade+.

Thanks. - Deana

3/5/20 - Found the path to freedom

HTHeather

Apr-3

Hey Deana,

It's been so long I honestly can't remember how long it took until my cravings went away. So I can't offer a lot of good info on how it will be for you—plus everyone is different.

What I CAN offer is the great news that the cravings WILL go away. Every second you accumulate between that last cigarette and where you sit in the present moment is helping to get you over the hump. A month in is fantastic. You're already over the three day and three week marks that some find to be difficult. It's all a head game from here on out, and your brain is smarter than any cigarette. :-)

I can also say this. I never dream of smoking, I don't miss it, I hate it. I never want one, and the smell of smoke is disgusting. Even when times are stressful—like now?—I don't yearn for a cigarette and I don't think there is any amount of money that would send me back into the habit. I never, even remotely, want to smoke. Ever.

The cravings will pass and they will pass 1000%. That I CAN promise.

Keep it on the road, lady. You're doing great.

JeanSody

Apr-3

Thank you Heather for the encouragement.  Also congratulations on your success!

I am at the two week mark as of today....what is bothering me the most (in addition to a few cravings)...is that I lack total motivation.  I feel like if I could smoke in my life I would be more productive.  And then the mind games begin.  How can I break from this “sloth” mood...smoking use to be my reward and motivator.   I can’t walk as I also broke my ankle just prior to quitting....

just need a little help now    

Jean

JerseyDee

Apr-3

Jean .. I will await to hear what Heather has to say in an answer to your question .. but I get that whole reward thing.  Smoking used to be my reward to .. reward for everything just in getting through my day.  From morning to night .. reward for getting up and starting coffee, reward for doing my yoga in the morning, reward to getting out the shower, reward for getting my hair and makeup on and done for the day, and on and on for the rest of the entire day .. it is so twisted and sick.

I have worked really hard to change my cue and response system over this past month and have been rather effective with it thus far.  I no longer look to that reward for just getting through the things in my day.

Right now my biggest challenge is boredom.  It is particularly hard as we are on total lock down here .. no gym, no work, no errands, dr appts, etc .. and I live by myself so that starts to get really old after awhile.  When things go back to normal and life resumes it should get easier .. but right now that is my biggest obstacle.

Sorry to hear about your ankle : ( .. I hope it is a speedy recovery.

HTHeather

Apr-3

Hey Jean,

See if you can switch your priorities for a little while. Make not smoking more important than being productive. Make it your most important priority right now.

I do remember the way I used smoking as a reward. Some one called it "punctuation" while I was actively quitting, and that sounded right to me. Smokers use any event as a reason to feed the habit. It's part of the addiction—that each action we take must be accompanied by pulling out a cigarette.

But it's JUST NOT TRUE. Getting in the car, finishing the dishes or a phone call—all of the little routine tasks we do each day do not require a cigarette. 

Go easy on yourself right now. You're learning not only not to smoke, but a whole new way of living. You're going to save a lot of time in addition to your health!

The only only only thing you have to do right now is not smoke. That's it. There will be plenty of time to be productive later—and you'll have a lot more good years to enjoy it, too.

Be well,

Heather

HTHeather

Apr-3

Deana,

You're getting it. There were times during my quit when I just needed a ritual or something for my hands to do. I replaced smoking with making a cup of nice herbal tea. I suppose this could be good for boredom, too. :-)

You're doing great.

Heather

JerseyDee

Apr-3

Thanks Heather.  That's a good idea.  I actually do have some herbal tea here as a matter of fact .. I should do that when I just need something to do with my hands.  Will give that a try.

JeanSody

Apr-3

Thank you Heather for the wonderful help today...I reread your note multiple times today for encouragement!

thanks again...stay well!

Jean

Loreficent

Apr-3

Thank you Heather for dropping in with your post!

It is always helpful to hear from folks like you out of the blue. That little nudge coming intermittently from you folks “on the other side” is wonderful encouragement!