About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day One of my forever    Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Apr-4 by Tam75; 1188 views.
Tam75

Apr-4

Good morning All,

My name is Tammy and I’ve been a smoker on and off for over 20 years (last 3 years more on than off). I’ve made the decision to quit for good TODAY. I’m even going to tell my children so I have someone to be accountable to.  I’m so glad I stumbled upon this forum to help in this journey. 

• Edited April 4, 2020 8:28 am  by  Tam75
Msg 5753.2 deleted
In reply toRe: msg 1

Hi there Tam,

Welcome aboard.  Quitting smoking is about the best thing you could do for yourself.  Hope you will make this forum a critical part of your day.

Check out the April quitters thread link.  Try to begin at the beginning and read everything you can and get to know your quit buddy's.  The light is always on here and most often there is someone who will reply to your post.

One day at a time you can do this.

JerseyDee

Apr-4

Good Morning Tammy.  Good for you in making this life altering and saving decision.  It is not easy but it IS doable.  

The first few days can be challenging but you are right when you say you are happy to have stumbled on this forum .. it has a very helpful tool in my arsenal.

Lots of great, supportive people here.  We are all in this together and we do keep each other in check with lots of support.

Read up and keep posting.  Welcome to this community!  .. And your lungs thank you already!

- Deana

3/5/20 -- Found the path to freedom

Tam75

Apr-4

Thank you  

Loreficent

Apr-4

Good morning Tammy,

Congrats on your decision and step towards health!

Telling your children is an excellent idea. It does help to have someone you feel accountable toward. This forum fills a big role in that for me as well. Bottom line is, you truly have to figure out that first and foremost to be accountable to yourself. Your wise mind is on board and wants to and will succeed as long as you keep the junkie thinking at bay. I do believe it is important to make that distinction and to be able to recognize the addict voice inside. It sure can be hard at first to separate the two and keep the junkie thoughts the addict part is voicing under control. Good news is it can be done! Just do it. Stay centered and focused on just one moment when needed. Sticking close to here is a tremendous source of support. There are so many folks here that have been where we are, dealt with what we are dealing with and getting each other through hard moments. Promise yourself right now that if your addict is calling strongly you will get on here and post an SOS under Quit Support and wait. Put SOS in the title and someone will jump in with a lifeline. We are all over the globe so it may take a bit of time but stay true to yourself and wait. Keep busy with one of the things off the list the MODs have of 100 things to do instead of smoke in the interim. Distraction is key. Learning to “surf and ride the waves “ is key. This Forum and ALL the amazing folks here are key. Together we are truly stronger. I’m grateful for my Forum Family every day and happy to have a new sibling!

Tam75

Apr-4

Thank you so much for the awesome advice! 

Jatchat

Apr-4

Hi Tam,

Congratulations on making that decision to quit, there is plenty of helpful advice here the hub of a non smoking community, read and post is a helpful way of approaching your quit with this site, though I am sure your busy with your children most of the time, I am assuming they are young,

Take care

Anthony 

Tam75

Apr-4

Thank you Anthony!! Yes I’ve been reading through the post and have gotten  some really great advice.   My children are 23 and 18, so they’re self sufficient, so I have a lot of time to focus on me and my new journey.

John1508

Apr-5

Hi Tammy,

Welcome to this forum where you will get lots of help and support from like minded people who want to quit their addiction.

I went cold turkey over a month ago and doing great.

Do visit this forum daily and read the posts and that will get you motivated to give up smoking.

wish you all the best in your quest to be smoke free.

Regards 

John