About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Bored And Scare ...    General Chit-Chat

Started Apr-4 by JerseyDee; 518 views.
JerseyDee

Apr-4

I am bored.  Who's out there and wants to chit chat?  Also just ran into neighbor above me whom I share stair landing with and he told me he doesn't want to stand to close to me as he is working on a project with a lot of guys from NYC and Newark right and then he coughed.  Scared the poop out of me .. I backed up a couple of feet from him .. and now my chest feels tight .. I know i am probably being paranoid ... the virus doesn't move *that* quickly.  

But back to other matters at hand .. I am so bored right now .. I feel like this little guy ..

Cute Little Baby Boy Bored Picture

DebraAnne60

Apr-4

Wow, doesn't want to stand to close then coughs.  Good thing he wasn't too close.  Stay out of  that area of the landing for a few hours and dont touch anything for three days.

We are working on making masks.  We also need to gather up latex gloves.  Have you managed to gather up mask and gloves.  I wouldn't go out without them.   Do you sew or knit or crochet?   I am looking for alternatives for heppa filters to put into the masks.  Do you have any ideas.

Here is a pic of what some are doing with crochet which are really cute:No photo description available.No photo description available.

We are expanding on these . 

SusanK1960

Apr-4

Would a coffee filter be an alternative to a hepa filter?  I have also read that blue shop towels work well.  I have read don’t use vacuum hepa filters as they contain ground glass, like insulation.

DebraAnne60

Apr-4

Coffee Filters are very versatile so I am sure they would be helpful as a filter.  Thanks Susan, I am going to give them a go for now until I can find something better.  Maybe if we fold them (pleats).   

Blue shop towels might be good too but they have a lot of chemicals in them.  I was wondering about using heppa filters for furnaces and AC units.  Has anyone heard of this?

JerseyDee

Apr-4

They are adorable.  I just actually bought two on eBay .. just double layer cotton .. from a woman who is hand making/sewing them and selling them on eBay. I am not crafty at all like that so can't make my own, have to buy someone else's. 

You should list them on eBay and etsy and sell them.  Super cute.

PS: About that neighbor .. I know .. what a goof. I backed and clear and fast and came in and washed my hands then after he was gone went back out and disinfected our shared landing and the door handle .. inside and out.  He is a a mason and job is considered essential .. who knows if anyone he is currently working with is a carrier or asymptomatic, etc.  Cripes

Loreficent

Apr-4

Hi DebraAnne

I crochet! Am quite good at it. Do you know of a link for the patterns?

Also...now don’t you ladies laugh, but disposable feminine hygiene pads could make a good liner. Mmmmhm.

I’m past any other use for those. Wonder how long till they are as hard to get as TP?? Lord I hope not!!

Loreficent

Apr-4

No, not that quickly. Channel your inner calmness and thank your body for doing a good job of keeping you healthy. 
Have you checked out the Deepak/Oprah 21 day free meditation called “Hope In Uncertain Times”?
Even the first couple of minutes where she speaks and then Deepak speaks for a couple of minutes are likely to bring you some nice calm. Then the meditation part starts, total about 20 minutes a day. Has had a huge positive impact on me. I highly recommend it Dee!

Quick Google search and you should find it easily. I did have to register with my email and get an email daily for the link but have not gotten one other solicitation or spam from the site.

It is sooo good!

Amicahomi

Apr-5

Great ideas from you two.  I'd like to try a crochet mask w/filter also.  One of the many very useful skills for today which I learned from relatives back in the iron age.  This would be easy to custom fit - and we don't need mouth access anymore since we don't smoke, right?

Loreficent

Apr-5

Now that is a hilarious vision! A face mask to prevent COVID19 with a hole for cigarettes??? Oh my word. Only an EX smoker would come up with that! 
It is really sad to think of the lengths I used to go to rationalize smoking. I’ve often said that smokers are the BEST at rationalization. Now this visual will be a tool for me to keep me strong in some strange way. 
Anyway... I need some humor and this fit the bill!

Eve1973

Apr-6

Lol.....i actually have seen them with the hole.