About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 105560 views.
Eve1973

Mar-13

Aww, Lore, 

I am so very very sorry to hear about Calvin. I know this has been a difficult and an extremely emotional roller coaster for you and the family. Today smile and know He is out of pain and playfully playing above. My heart goes out to you. 

I hope that brings you a small bit of comfort and that you and your daughter can look back and reminisce about all the funny things that Calvin did and also how he brought joy to you! 

One thing Covid has taught us is.....Life can change at any moment. So treasure the good times! And don’t take for granted the time we do have with our loved ones! 

Hugs to you Lore and the family!

Loreficent

Mar-13

Oh, thank you Eve....yes, your hugs and thoughts and love sent do help. So many memories with that Boy. Such a beautiful prince he was. Maine Coon so loved playing in water. Was still trying to get up on the sink yesterday. Loved playing in his drinking fountain too and I was constantly mopping up around it. Never occurred to me to put a little rug under it until just now writing this. I have a beautiful painting that a local artist did, very whimsical, life size Sweetums dancing with a woman under the moon. It has some of Sweetums ashes in his paint. Oh, Sweetums was Calvin’s brother. Calvin is in the painting too, but not his ashes of course, so I may contact her to do another one for me. I know...lots of folks likely think this is eccentric, but...yes...I am. Always have been and my creatures have always accepted that unconditionally. Which is why we love them so. 
I will say again, they will all go at home with me when it is their time. It makes the last memory much more bearable for us, and their last moments much more gentle for them.

Funny I didn’t think about smoking in the several hours waiting for the appointment but I sure did when I woke up and remembered he was gone. It has mostly passed too...like a quiet receding wave.

Thank you Eve.

SusanK1960

Mar-13

Lore, I am so sorry for the empty feeling you are experiencing! We love them while are together and miss them when we aren’t. I love the idea of having Sweetums and now, possibly Calvin, a part of art. What a grand way to honor them.

Wishing you comfort and peace during this trying time and may the memories of Calvin and Sweetums together again warm your heart and ease your mind.

I am with you in spirit, like a weighted blanket...

Loreficent

Mar-13

Oh Susan...

Thank you so much. First night he hasn’t been on my pillow in so many years. He would be on my pillow and Sweetums spooned with me. They were absolutely inseparable in their life here, and now I do hope their is some awareness of togetherness for them again. My heart is sad. And grateful. They were truly a once in a lifetime treasure and I’m so very glad I was at the vet that morning in Atlanta with my dog when this elderly woman brought them in as their mother was killed and she didn’t know how to care for them. The vet, so kind, had just taken in a litter of 5 that didn’t have eyes open yet and was feeling overwhelmed. So I said “Well Max, I’ve raised plenty of kittens and squirrels and rabbits and I’d be happy to help if you promise you will help me find homes when they are ready”. He said of course, and of course...he didn’t need to. I kept the two boys and my neighbor took the girl who also very lovely when she was old enough. I knew the second I got them home and my stepson helped me bathe them and feed them they were with me for life. I’m so happy to have had him so long. 
Yes...I’ve already emailed the Artist to ask for when his ashes are ready. She is 80 now but still painting her heart out last we spoke a month or so ago. We made good friends over the work on Sweetums and it brought her joy to do it. She said she had never incorporated ashes into a painting before and wished she had thought of that for some of her fur babies. Not sure what made me ask her to, but I’m glad I did as it makes me happy every time I look at it. 
Thank you Susan. Maybe I will make the Ocean next week and heal some. 

Came back to let you know...the Artist just replied and is happy to do it! That already makes me feel better. Not all the way, but some....

euknight

Mar-13

Ah my sweet Lore, Mama to Calvin,

My heartfelt condolences in this loss.  Memories forever alive.  What an amazing gift to have him in your life for so many years.  The musical purr!!  I never got to hear it but know the sound can not be duplicated.  He left his mark on many family members and friends.  Even some like me who never met him.

Over the rainbow bridge you go precious one!!  Over to the field of flowers full of your friends and family that have passed to greet you!!  My Shepherd Sweetie is there and all my other beloveds that have passed.  Say hello for me, precious one?

I know the days will still pass.  Even tho it seems they shud not because he has gone.  Still hearing his purr and crackly meow.  Feeling the bed move where he use to jump and seeing him in his favorite spots.  I am so sorry.  I love that the vet came to your place and you could hold him.  Such a blessing they have that program.

You did the right thing.  A single act of great love.  You will heal and never forget.  No nicotine necessary.  We are all here for you.

Love

Peggy

5-8-20

boylant22

Mar-14

I’m so sorry to hear this. Thinking of you and your daughter too. 

Loreficent

Mar-14

Thank you for the kindness. It’s funny how words and thoughts from others in a moment of grief soothe. Though we’ve not met, the reaching out still touches....I love the power humans have to help each other. Just as pain and suffering are Universal, so can be kindness. 

Loreficent

Mar-14

Oh, Peggy Love...yes...he says hello. My heart hurts. I was thinking in bed last night how he’s been there a third of my life. Through so many adult changes and growth and celebration and sadness and fear and excitement and...all of it. One of the ones that no matter what, brought me his music. His gentle head butting and nibbles and urging. His kneading and rubbing. How his voice changed with age, and his music remained. Always the song of love returning. His passing is hitting especially deep for his time in space he occupied was at times so tumultuous and so precious. Watching my daughter grow up with him, the joy and comfort he brought her and my Stepson. He was a small boy of 8 with blonde hair when the the babies came home with me and now he is a strapping and strong young man soon to be 27 when Calvin would have been 19. How I learned very quickly that night owl Daughter would wake happy and smiling early in the mornings when I needed to wake her for preschool if I brought Calvin with me to wake her, and if I didn’t it changed her whole moment. How gentle my Stepson was as a young boy helping me bathe them. How as my belly grew taught with Daughter growing inside the kittens would lay on me and fall asleep purring on my mound of a tummy...a sound she probably heard and grew to know just as she did my beating heart before she came out into the world. And when she was an infant nursing, one of them was always in my lap right underneath her. How one night when she was a few weeks old and I had woke in the night to nurse her, Atlanta was hit with a 4.0 Earthquake and the suddenly the babies were all on my chest. It was brief and did no damage but we all felt the power in that moment of Nature reminding us how small we are. Ahhhh...so many many memories, all ripped silently open to the wind that carries them now. I can’t help myself...I’ll share a picture of an older thinner Calvin with you, still a beautiful Prince...then I’m gonna go walk and see John for the first time since he passed and if John is there, share a memory.

Loreficent

Mar-14

Right after the Vet left, Daughter went to her room and came out sobbing as her last rat, Cedar, was dying. I wasn’t closely bonded with her rats as they stayed in her room, but she was. She was up most of the night after Calvin passing holding Cedar. She came and got me at 6am to tell me she was still breathing and that she couldn’t keep watching her though she didn’t seem to be in pain. Off to the Vet we went with Cedar when they opened and they eased her way over the Rainbow Bridge too. Double whammy for Daughter. Poor sweet, kind, sensitive girl is so sad. 
Yes...no nicotine necessary. Thank you for allowing me to write it all out.