About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 112771 views.
xvaper

Jul-7

Oh I did not imply that you preach at all!!! I was referring to the ex smokers who go around proclaiming their hate of cigarette smoke and odour and putting down smokers like they are horrible people that litter their whole environment and lecture to everybody. I know people like that.  I can only imagine it comes from an insecurity in their own quit. 
I am in Brooklyn, New York and it’s hot as hell right now. It’s basically living in the tropics for the past three weeks or so. 

Eve1973

Jul-7

I wasn’t implying that you were implying anything…..lmao. 

I was agreeing with you on the “preachers “. I know those people. I hated it when I smoked, so I just say if and when…..I’m here!

xvaper

Jul-7

Had a much easier time last night with the cravings..I hope this trend continues. Do you still have them? and if so how do you manage?

Eve1973

Jul-8

Glad to hear! 

Not sure you want to hear, but yes at times I still have the cravings. Most of the time it is when I’m out drinking. I am in a league where I am at a bar usually once a week. Some time in the last 2 years they banned smoking from the building! Thank goodness so that helps. 

Ok so what do I do? I still carry my gum around with me everywhere. Oh I buy the bags of gum and use a old pill container to carry around. (This does get some odd reactions) because I don’t think about it, people give me looks when I’m constantly “popping pills” lol. That’s one thing, the other is something I DO, and not many people can DO THIS. So if you try, really THINK HARD before you do. Can you handle this? 
I at times will bum a cig and never Light it. And just do the motions. It tricks my brain in thinking I’m smoking so the overwhelming craving subsides. Again NOT EVERYONE can do this, so if you can’t control the urge…….to light…..don’t put yourself in that situation. I have been doing this from the beginning of my quit. I actually still have a half pack of cigs still. They at home in a drawer. I feel like they are SO STALE now and if I EVER have that urge to smoke, I have to start with those lol. They will taste so bad! Anyway my way is definitely not for everyone. But it has made me STAY quit, so i am hopeful that someday I will not have to do that!

Hugs you are doing great! Keep it up

xvaper

Jul-8

Thank you for sharing that. It is helpful to know people's different experiences, and how they cope. For me, I would not be able to hold a smoke and not light up so that's out for me. If I had half a pack in my drawer it would be smoked by now. I am really addicted to this stuff unfortunately.

I'll just have to wait and see how mine is going but it is encouraging to know that even if you have cravings, you are still smoke free.

10 days!

Loreficent

Jul-8

Don’t fear the cravings that aren’t here yet. There will be plenty that come and go, expected and unexpected. I think it helped me to realize that they go away, and if you were to time it, you’d realize the time distortion. There is something about that in the ebook I think. Haven’t read anywhere on here that someone has been stuck in a crave for days, much less an hour. Perhaps some days they seem to come in ,ore rapid succession, but, they all do go away. Wave hello, acknowledge “oh, hey, you again. Hi there.” and carry on. 
Yes, I understand what you were writing somewhere else. It is hard to imagine in the beginning doing things without a smoke and enjoying them, and the relief to know that others still find joy down the road. It’s kind of effed up that we thought the smoke is what made certain things worth while or joyful, right? Now, I can at times want one and be completely rational like I could not before. Of course I still occasionally want one. I also know the price it comes with and the struggle to get off it. Take a breath and be really honest with yourself about it. Remember how when you would want to quit so bad? When you would have one and right after it hit the brain you would think, “oh, I don’t really want this. I do want to quit”. Man that fix of it hitting the brain, how as soon as you got it the feeling of actually wanting to smoke faded and you could say “I do t really want this”. Cause the druggie got their fix is why. That cycle in itself, when I’m really honest with myself, does not appeal to me at all. Anyway. Not quite awake and likely to making much sense.

Yes. You will fully enjoy everything you did with smoking. It will actually be more meaningful. Wait and see. 

Loreficent

Sep-16

G’mar chatima tovah, Ms X.

I hope you are with friends or loved ones. 

You will have to let me know how these Holidays have gone without smoking! How does smoking play into things too I’m curious. Is it something to atone for? 

Im on my way for a nasal assault. Feel fine, just sat in our small workroom all last Saturday and Sunday with my colleague doc friend who is now positive. So I have to test before I can work tomorrow. 
Been a while since I’ve been in this thread! Couldn’t remember the title of the other one we were in, so I guess this is as good a place to reconnect as any. 
More later! 
Have an easy feast.

kissing_heart

xvaper

Sep-16

Argh, I hope it come out negative! I had a very bad craving yesterday. I thought it was a good idea to watch '9/11A day in America' series and I wanted to smoke so badly. But I was very adult about it, we can't have everything we want, and besides, its just an addict brain conditioning trigger, it's not enjoyable to smoke at all, its just a nicotine hit, to feed the previous hit expiring.

No way was I going to poison myself.

xoxo

xvaper

Sep-16

and thank you! 

G’mar chatima tovah to you too!

Loreficent

Sep-17

Yup. Negative. Now on my way in to work. Yippeee!

You are doing incredibly well with this quit, and have some great momentum going. I’m proud of you! 
Those out of the blue craves at this point can be hard, but, as you know, you have all the tools you need! Plus, you are stronger than you know. You must be feeling so much better at this point in Recovery. 
No poison needed! joy

• Edited September 17, 2021 2:13 pm  by  Loreficent