About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 44348 views.
Loreficent

Aug-4

Oh no! Sorry about the rock. Yes, AAA worth having, right? You getting a lot of rain now? Glad it doesn’t make you want to smoke. Yup...blips. Just wanna keep staying under the radar...from smoking, from Covid, from tear gas, from snarky people, all of it! Yeah, Aunt not so bad, but I have 4 more days yet. I do love her dearly. I am a person who needs SPACE. Yes, very gregarious to those in passing and in stores and at work, etc, and truly enjoy other humans but in small quantities and doses. Which in passing makes that perfect. Pat tells me how he can’t believe I’ll strike up conversations out and about and am so quiet at home and always need to take walks alone, etc. So, Aunt went with me down to see John the Agave, which is probably not even a mile away and it took half an hour to get there! I just can’t walk that slowly for long. Trust me...I talk more on here than I have probably anywhere! But I attribute most of it to times when I would have been sitting down reading and smoking. And...I love the connections I’ve made with my Forum Friends!! Mostly just natter here about stuff that flows through my mind. Which is mostly not much, haha!

Yeah...and now we just find ways to make work humorous, which can’t always be done, but, we did have a PPE fashion show and it was hilarious! Somehow we got these extra large gowns that were made for someone way bigger than me...arms a good 6-8 inches longer than mine, and even in my clogs which make make me a couple few inches taller,  it was dragging on the floor like a blue plastic wedding gown with a train. And we had to use them cause it is all we had. They were even long on our folks who are like 5’8”. Yeah...we’ve made some good funny videos. And we got our bet pool going too...sick, I know. Not looking forward to flu season. At all. So, stopping those thoughts now and moving on!

Taking the Aunt in a bit here to the beach...late start, but will come back after sunset. Pat gonna entertain her while I go to work for a break tomorrow, haha! She talks all the time. Non stop. Even right now while I’m writing. And gets all excited about stuff she is reading on internet news and yells out loud...pretty funny! Oh, and she likes my one Kombucha with the Mango/Cayenne so that made me feel good. Saw somewhere you and Peggy talking about the ones with Ginger that you buy. Well...the Ginger in the store bought ones is way too strong for me too! Making your own is so good as you can control the amounts of stuff like that and it is fun to experiment too. Do you like honey? I bottled one yesterday that is Jun and didn’t flavor as the honey I used was this Star Thistle Honey and man....so good all on its own! Can’t wait for it to get bubbly!! After Aunt goes I’m gonna try my hand at one with alcohol, which requires a third ferment. I don’t drink alcohol really so will give that away mostly. Get my friends drunk, haha! Not me. Nope. Having a hard enough time these days being sober...can’t imagine being not all there. 
Well...stay dry over there!

Oh...came back to ask if you’ve seen Jersey on here? Or Ana in Portugal? Hope they are ok!! Miss them.

Eve1973

Aug-4

No, haven’t seen Jersey or Ana, wrote Jersey, she was supposed to have that surgery. Didn’t hear back....me too.

Loreficent

Aug-4

Mmmmm. Hope they are well. 
Didn’t make the Coast with the Aunt...couldn’t get things moving with her. Been kind of warm here and she is used to AC. We did get to a nice river beach on the Columbia though, out on this farm island I love. Beautiful. Watching some Osprey, saw one Bald Eagle. I love this place and go there alone a lot. There are some houseboats on one side of the island. Always want to live on one, in theory anyway. But I think I’d miss my garden. All the Blackberries are ripening now, and Oregon has tons of them, you can stop just about anywhere and find some. Yum.

Well, if you hear back from Dee, please send her my regards and let her know she is in my thoughts.

In reply toRe: msg 240
Loreficent

Aug-4

Ok...anybody got any ideas on how to HIDE ice cream??? Seriously. This is the third time it is gone! Went to have a little and not even quite a spoon left in the carton, but carton in the freezer. Argggh! 
Maybe Aunt needs to smoke and leave my ice cream alone...or at least leave me some. So...this is a difficult conversation for me as it isn’t that I don’t want to share...I just want some too! She said she got up in the night and was hungry. Good gosh. Off to the store and am walking on. My. Own. Harrumph.

Came back to add this before I go:japanese_ogre That’s me. I’m bummed. Won’t smoke, but am a slight ticked. 

Eve1973

Aug-5

Lol...the only thing you could do is write your name on it! Buy two write this on it ...... THIS BELONGS TO LOREFICENT THE MAGNIFICENT.....YOU WILL HAVE CONSEQUENCES IF YOU EAT!
I’m watching you! Or you could guilt trip them, tell them you were seriously thinking of smoking because you didn’t get your ice cream.... good grief!

Sometimes I get happy when BF doesn’t like something I like, that way I know will always be there.

Loreficent

Aug-5

So I took a spoon with me and sat down on the way back on the curb by John and ate out of the carton. Came back and said to Aunt and Pat that there was ice cream in the freezer but they might not want to eat it as I ate from carton and think I’m getting a sore throat. Got them a little Ben and Jerry one for them. Ha!

I can have ice cream in freezer for over a month if just me. Hardly ever put it in a bowl and usually just get a spoonful here and there and it lasts a long time. I know better than to put it in a bowl as I love it way too much! 
We’ll see if any is left after work. They both said they thought the freezer would kill any germs. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye I told them we don’t know enough about Covid yet to chance it....I feel bad now. Lol! 
Later I tell you what happens to a spoon when someone leaves it in a Ninja blender while they are making a smoothie. Like I said...she is comedy of errors. 

Loreficent

Aug-6

Hey Lovely Lady...

Hope all is well. Have been musing on what you said here about the thought getting one craving...the change. So far I’m noticing the change in my routine and life right now are prompting more the thoughts. Don’t worry..,not obsessing or won’t go buy any. Just noticing that I’ve not had my normal space and routine and am getting angsty. Cool temps and some rain this AM felt good and now everything smells fresh again. Love that after the rain smell in Summer. 
Also thinking maybe it is good to mix things up a bit and vary my routine as I don’t relish the idea of becoming a creature of habit. Just am wishing I was mixing it up by my own choosing and desires right now instead of those being defined by someone else. 
But yes...it will pass. All does. In the moment perhaps it is best to stay cognizant of that fact so that when it has passed I am left with sweet memories and not feelings and memories of angst. 

Eve1973

Aug-6

Hey life at times throws us curve balls, and that’s when people tend to say “I wasn’t ready got that, and it’s challenging so I am going to cave.” 

You didn’t do that, so that’s how I would look at your Aunts visit as a test/learning time. Because life is always an up and down thing, you needed to be shook up from your routine, otherwise you may be tempted to go buy when a real upsetting thing happens! 

Just be grateful when she leaves, you will cherish your alone time more with John! 

Hugs

euknight

Aug-6

Lore,

Just wanted to respond to this visual and there is one other for later...

“Ahhh...what an amazing walk back across the bridge and through the neighborhoods. Not quite as warm tonight but still enough heat coming up off the streets from earlier today and in the air to carry the smell of all the Jasmine. Magnolias are blooming too and I just love the fresh almost lemony smell of them. The blossoms...so big it takes both of my hands to cup them. Mmmm. In some ways I want to live where the nights are like this year round, but then I wonder if I would appreciate it less? 
Walked by John on the way home. Amazing. I think he’s going to make it a full year. I talked to the owner of the place about a week or so ago when my Nurse friend was here and we walked down there and he was out gardening. I didn’t notice the spike till last October but he said it started in August. Makes sense as he is up pretty high from the street and the spike would need to get up above the plant a bit for me to see it from below. I asked him if he was just going to let it topple on it’s own and he said yes so I was really happy to hear that. That darn plant has so much symbolism for m”

Jasmine and magnolia...lemony smell.  Whoa....I love that.  Our soil is not acidic enough to grow Magnolia but when I was in East Texas going to school they were amazing.  The way the rain fills them up like lovely little ladles.  Those scents....also gardenia definitely a tropical vibe.  You have mentioned New Zealand and Spain...wonder if they have those....surely the islands do off the coast.  I agree about the seasonal bringing more appreciation.  I love changing seasons.  I get so thrilled when we have snow.....and Fall colors....nothing like it.  For me it wud be difficult to have the same weather all the time.  Besides I am allergic to gardenia and magnolia....lol

As far as John goes, is he not a marker for all of us for 2020?.  We are ALL rising above the racial unrest, Covid and kicking smoking out the doe for good!!! Yes sista and bruthas....unite!!!  So nice having this family on here, like amazing.!!,

This all brings me to the subject of change.  Change is always the worst thing to deal with in recovery of any substance!!  Take alcohol and drugs...any change usually sets the newcomers into an avalanche of tears and fears.  I guess that is cos the one thing we learned to depend on has been taken away.....so every change is equated with this trauma....in our case tobacco, nicotine, chemicals in cigs.......Now it is recommended we change things around???  Really??  Yep, establishing new patterns.  Even people without addictions have an adjustment period...just not end of the world level of fear pain whatever and physical withdrawal.  Lol.  We are survivors, warriors, overcomers!!  Such a better feeling than living in defeat; doing the same thing we have always done and feeling like crap about it.  Kudos to all new healthy habits!}. Your long walks, Lore, I tip my hat off to ya!!!  Glad you went to that farm with Georgia.  That is a beautiful visual too!!!  Like stepping into an Anne of green Gables book.....Love!,!

ok I am totally up with labeling the ice cream!!  Absolutely!!  Not rude!!  This is survival we are talking about!!  Such a tremendous idea.  So simple. Yes, Eve!!!  Take her up on it, Lore.....

CC to Eve1973
euknight

Aug-6

Oh Eve,

I LOVE THESE NOTE IDEAS.  Yes.....consequences will be severe!!!

Lol.  Bravo!!  Yes that’s the thing...you can hide cookies in obscure locations.  Not ice cream.  My nephew ate all 35 of my mozzarella cheese sticks last time so am hiding half under the flatbreads and tortillas this time.  Maybe I will put a note on it...

Hugs

pS I did write my quit date wrong but LOVE the eye closed....

CC to Loreficent