About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started May-6 by Musivore; 26841 views.
TinyBadger

Aug-12

I LOVE Mr. Rogers. He's so kind and tender. Did you know all his sweaters were made by his mom? He was such a cool guy. I haven't seen the Tom Hanks movie, but I've read a lot of books about him. Maybe we should all treat each other with a little more kindness. Isn't everyone really your neighbor? Aren't we all in one big neighborhood? Maybe we should all take a minute to think of someone who loved you and supported you. Someone who inspired you. Have you considered telling that person, if they are still alive? Have you been there, in the same way, to someone else? Just a thought. 

Loreficent

Aug-12

Mmmm. I just about to walk off here, and last time I took your words with me I found a treasure. So I am gonna take these thoughts with me now and let them float on out there with every step. You like Science right? So you know about “energy begets energy” theory, yes? Well...it is true in all forms. When we send good energy out it has that ripple effect. And it creates more good energy. Yes...we are all neighbors and brothers and sisters. Some may not like that idea...but perhaps, like Peggy said too...if we can get back to that a bit we may have hope of getting out of this quagmire and heal a bit, yes? Think about it...how the body heals when we quit smoking. Imagine what the soul can do when the heart and mind quit hating. This is just a shell we live in really, the real energy comes from way deeper inside of it. That Mr Rogers was a fine man. Just think of all the seeds he planted in so many many children. Simple truths. I didn’t know his mom made those sweaters. That is the sweetest thing I’ve learned today. I bet they loved each other so dearly. 

euknight

Aug-13

Ok you guys have made me cry.

CC to Loreficent
Elizaquits

Aug-13

Hey Lore!!

I hope this finds you safe and well!

Yes, I am living vicariously through you when it comes to John!! As an east coast girl, I am in awe of the life of agave plants! I hope to see it for myself in person one day. I appreciate you sharing photos and updating us, I feel like to some extent, it is symbolic of the growth and transformation that we are going through during our quit! We are shedding our old selves, as we transform into our new nonsmoking selves! I am sure there is a much more eloquent way to say that, I will think about it and circle back, I only have a few minutes before I have to start working!

I am looking forward to more updates! 

TinyBadger

Aug-13

I have a hoodie with his picture on it that says, "I think I'll make a snappy new day". We made a donation to our humane society and they posted a picture of us on their site. I was wearing that hoodie and I got lots of compliments. It's very cozy. One of my favorites. I could go on and on. You simply must read his biography.

TinyBadger

Aug-13

It is a quagmire. But I am hopeful and optimistic that we can heal, probably more slowly than I'd like, but still. I agree on the energy idea. I feel like when you put good stuff out there it does ripple. We don't have a million dollars but we do our best to be charitable whenever possible. I don't usually drink coffee but we pay for people behind us at Starbucks. We donate to the humane society and buy Christmas gifts for patients at the mental hospital, etc etc. I'm only saying this, not to say we are awesome, but to say that everyone had a gift to give wether it be money or time. I would challenge everyone to give a balloon to a kid or a banana to a monkey after this covid thing is done. Everyone has something to give, even if it's 50 cents or wrapping a gift for someone in need. Ok, I'm off my soap box. It's a tender spot for me and I feel strongly about giving locally. I promise not to pontificate any more. 

• Edited August 13, 2020 10:40 am  by  TinyBadger
Loreficent

Aug-13

Oh dear! Well...we made me cry too. Seems I’ve been doing this a bit more lately. Not in a bad way...just a touched way. There are those that would definitely say I am “touched” but I don’t quite think they mean that in a good way...? Kind of reminds me of when I moved to Atlanta from Seattle...folks would say “where are you from?” And since I’d been in Seattle for 10 years, I said Seattle. Well, a few of them kind of snickered and said “oh, you’re from the left coast”. And I cheerfully said “why yes!” Well, in my mind...I was thinking of the directions. It made sense to me that if one faced North, the West would be to the left, right? Well...these little digs and jokes about it went on for several days at my new job. Which is another story...but suffice it to say it was a very tough and sad work environment with a lot of trauma. So, one day as I am still laughing off another comment as I thought they were truly laughing with me, one of my kind colleagues pulled me aside and said “you know they are actually insulting you don’t you?” And...I didn’t know that. I was thinking West is left of North. They had an entirely different angle on that which I will let you piece together as you likely already have pieced together something that took me several jabs and days to do so. Yeah...I guess I’m probably “touched” too. Lol!!!
Hopefully that little story made you smile and not cry Peggy dear. dizzy

• Edited August 13, 2020 11:27 am  by  Loreficent
Loreficent

Aug-13

Eliza!!

I am so happy to see you!! I am also sorry I have yet to comment on your success in the other tab too, so please forgive me. Though the post was not there the thought definitely was and is. If you can’t tell by my writing, I can distracted pretty easily. And I think that milestone may have happened when I was having adventures with Georgie...and I was already distracted in many ways. Nonetheless...Kudos to you my friend for hanging tough and staying strong!! 
Yes...you must make it this way one day and go on Agave adventures. I have a feeling you would like PDX and the surrounding area as well. I’m very happy you find that positive symbolism in them. I do too. John has tons of symbolism for me, some related to smoking, some related to love, a lot related to standing tall and holding steady among the chaos of everyday life, and a lot related to Love and love lost. Among other things! But hey...life is short and I am quite content to find such happiness and meaning in a plant! Yeah...sure am. And! Not sure if you looked back through this post, but did you see the other one too? She is shorter and stout and oh so sturdy looking! So this makes 3 blooms this year I’ve seen. I’ve been following these plants around PDX for a while and never have found more than one blooming in a year. I walk so much and in my mind I mark their locations so I can keep an eye on them year to year. There are likely many more than I’ve seen this year, but these are in areas that are closer to me. The short stout one is a bit far for a night walk, and I happened upon her when I had driven part way to meet Pat’s mom for a walk one day in SE. PDX has 4 quadrants, divided by the Willamette River running North to South, and a arterial called Burnside. So to us we identify each other by NW, SW, NE, SE. And here is a very perfect example of distraction and mind wandering! Lol! So back to what I really have been wanting to tell you...I’ve been reading some Abraham Heschel, and meaning to write you about him. You posted a quote to me from him back after my Seattle trip and experience. What a great great gift that man was!! We often look at our lives nowadays and feel there aren’t many “Greats”. Well...he wasn’t known to me and died when I was a kid, but...just amazing some of the stuff he wrote about with such profound insight and simple clarity, yes? I love his writings on race. So my days reading lately have been stuff from him and Chomsky, and a few others that write fluidly and passionately about some of my passions. They leave me awestruck and aware and often lead to so much more symbolism in day to day life and our current issues... Well, this is long...so better go, and will put one of Abraham’s quotes here that I found for you...

Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself.

Loreficent

Aug-13

I’m with you Tiny with the hope and optimism. Yes...probably more slowly than we’d like...but always worth striving for. Yes, we all have something to give too. Even a smile at times, or even acknowledging someone can make a big difference to their day. This is my biggest issue with masks...though I wear one always...I really miss seeing smiles. They are still there though and I guess we can tell by the eyes that they are. I love your desire and belief to give locally. It really touched me too in the other thread when you wrote of the loss of a patient where you work and how they weren’t just a patient but a neighbor. It is this sense of connectedness and unity that makes such a big difference. 
No...I don’t view at all what you wrote as pontification...I see the beginning of a ripple.

Loreficent

Aug-13

So friend that asked about Wellbutrin had actually called for other reasons too. She said she was seeing some bad stuff on news still. She lives in MI. So...yeah...just wanted you to know Eve. I am not part of the bad stuff you see. I don’t support destruction or violence. That’s not to say I haven’t witnessed it, as I have, generally I’m on my way out when that stuff starts. Think I’ve said before, probably more than once, human nature is an enigma to me. Been thinking about this all day..about Tiny’s thoughts on being positive and doing good things. Am left wondering what effect it might have if those were the things highlighted in the news...all the art and speakers and positive peaceful things happening here? Cause there is still a lot of that good stuff still and the negative stuff is hurting that part of the movement that is working hard and peacefully. What if the negative stuff got no attention or coverage, only the good stuff and the beautiful art? Would people’s appetite for the bad stuff change over time? I mean...that is what happens to craves and the addict voice. We stop feeding it and over time...it fades and gets less demanding.
So, just nattering again. Just a thought on a different approach. Still wearing a 7mg patch. Maybe stop that when I work this weekend as I will be busy. How about you Tiny? You gonna wear a patch camping? 

CC to TinyBadger