About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 43957 views.
TinyBadger

Aug-29

I admit I've never heard of an alarm but I imagine it's a sewer gas/ventilation sort of gig. Most everyone in my city has a septic tank and a leech field. I think most people have old septic they get pumped every so many years, not new fancy stuff. Gross. Although how ingenious to put an alarm on it?!?!?

Loreficent

Aug-29

Lol...well I‘m glad you liked hearing about my crow friend. He was pretty special. I felt a bit guilty about feeding him, but know better than to think a Crow will get dependent on a human. They are much wiser than that! They are such survivalists really. I mean seriously...anything that eats carrion on a daily basis has to be, right? I kept wondering if he found it dead and thought it a trade for the cat food? Who knows. Daughter got a kick out of him as did Pat. For a long time they’d ask “is that your buddy?” Daughter used to call them “Black Eagles”, so yes, they get pretty big here. We have Ravens too. Nice. 
Yeah..humans are funny the way we get so threatened by things that escape our understanding. Mixing of herbs and seeds and flowers and bark and you name it has been around way longer than Westernized medicine. I don’t knock Western medicine the way some do, but I don’t exalt it as the sole healing answer for everything and everyone either. Probably shouldn’t start on that train as it is a very long thought train with many cars and not a caboose in sight, haha! My summary is an integrated approach to things is probably the best treatment for most things. 
109?!?! Ugh ugh ugh! And no turning in the water??? Thank goodness for those ice cubes of yours! Fixed yet? And yes...a septic tank alarm is a grand idea! I knew they existed for sump pumps but not septic tanks. Grass is always greenest over the septic field! Hmmm. How analogous with so many things, yes? Haha! Speaking of...I have not had grass in my yard since the first summer I lived here. All Manzanita, Eucalyptus, and a huge variety of perennials and...wait for it...yes, an Agave! Soon to be another Agave next week! Have not put a drop of water on my front yard for 3 summers now. All xerascaped. And gorgeous. And brimming with bees and other pollinators and bunnies and all kinds of stuff. Way back in this thread I wrote about my disdain for grass so won’t boringly repeat it here, it is a post or two after the poppy picture. Yes, grass is nothing more than environmental waste. An aesthetic illusion of a healthy yard. Nothing healthy or productive about it. And...not a natural thing at all. Ok...I’ll stop. 
So I love the idea of the weights in the water!! I’m not good enough with Physics or whatever area of science has to do with figuring this out, but does the water make the weight heavier or lighter to move? You have a whole gym in that pool! Way cool. 
Well Peggy...I hope you get your septic fixed soon. Does Burdock grow there? Haha! Nature’s TP. Just make sure you watch out for the Tarantula  and any Copperheads before you squat! Lol! Oh my. I’m so sorry you have to deal with that. At least you live in some privacy! And I know you know what poison ivy and oak look like too....

Big hugs my friend!! Almost all dark here now at 8:29. Nice for walks but not looking forward to the Winter at all this year....

• Edited August 29, 2020 11:36 pm  by  Loreficent
euknight

Aug-31

Lol....thanks Tiny.  Was just curious cos you were in the mountains..well kinda..Yes I suppose it is ingenious!  I had just never heard of it or heard it after 25 years here!

Have the best smoke free evening!!,

Peggy

5-8-20

Msg 5840.451 and the next 1 deleted
euknight

Sep-1

Ha black eagles.....too cute.  Ravens sound cool like the poem.  We have vultures.  Tab loves running after them.  They are pretty smart too.  They will swoop back and forth and she runs and barks and has a grand time. I really think she thinks they are her friends.  They have been gone lately and no kidding it depresses her!!  When they come back she can chase them again. She will just smile and bark.  Such a happy carefree girl!  Jackson gets in on it too. Adorable!!  These 2 are not adventurous at all.  Took the tractor up to the barn and mowed some this AM and have to hike back...it’s a few acres away from the house and I call them and those bums stay up at the house.  So weird.  She will finally come down when I come into view.  None of my other dogs were ever like that.  It’s funny.  Really am blessed because it is a lot of trouble when they go on adventures getting them home sometimes.

Yes we have gone from triple digits to monsoon in the 70’s.  Very unusual.  I feel like I am snowed in!!!  Which I kinda love but only one bottle of tart cherry....boohoo.

So it is the consensus of Larry at Aardvark Septic Services and others that the septic alarm was prob triggered by our power outages but I am taking it as a cue to get it pumped.  So have been using water and the tribe was here today so it’s all good for now.

Your yard sounds fab!  I love your new baby agaves and yes...wud be too cool to see them grown someday!!!  That’s a bummer you walked for 3 hrs and never found that one!  Grrrrr.....I actually think some of the artificial green grass looks pretty realistic...if I had a small area or courtyard I would use it.  

I have gotten poison ivy so many times I don’t get bad cases of it anymore.  Yes we have Burdock which they call Bow dark here...lol or 100 year fencepost wood.  Man those thorns are as long as my hand!,   But they do have a nice yellow fall color if you catch them just at the right time.

I hear ya about Winter...swimming has been my meditative posture and I will desperately miss it until the following April....  In my dreams if I built again I would have a swim spa room!!,!

I believe the weights feel like less weight in the pool.  It keeps you cooler but am really not getting the same burn as out of water.  I do think it still helps strengthen and keep the bones healthy.  I have to haul so much I want to stay as strong as I can for as long as I can.   Right???  I think we all feel that way.

Glad you have no temp.  I know you have to work so take it easy...your wanting to be lazy may also be a signal for rest...

Have a divine smoke free evening!!”

Peggy

TinyBadger

Sep-1

I have slowly been replacing the grass in my front yard with shrubs and flowers. I think it's silly to water grass just to mow it. It's rough sometimes, though, because the deer, rabbits and voles like to nibble. My hydrangea is suffering this year. Most everything else is ok, though. Nothing is deer resistant, they pick and choose from year to year. Desperation is motivation to chomp. 

Loreficent

Sep-2

Couldn’t agree more Tiny. Such a significant waste of water really. I don’t mind grass at all when it is allowed to cycle it’s own dormant season. Problem is that is when most people want to be out on it and long for the soft green-ness of it. 
Hmmm. Deer do make it tough in places to garden. I’ll have to do some reading on “deer resistant” plants in your neck of the woods as I’m curious now. I’m surprised they like Hydrangea. 
Guess you could plant them some corn...? Lol! Pumpkins make beautiful yard plants but not Evergreen. I’m sleepy and not thinking clearly. 

Loreficent

Sep-6

OMG.

I just wrote a huge cathartic thing, processing some of this dang void, and have absolutely no clue how I made it disappear into the ether! Ugh!

Well...one thing in it was how I e been using the visual of Tab and Jackson with their Vulture playmates to stay present and in the moment. Then I said I was gonna go on another walk now and go see John. He’s leaning. Had pondered aloud on why I allowed myself to build such symbolism around something I knew wouldn’t last. Then equated that to nothing really lasts except styrofoam. So, it was a much more introspective and thoughtful thing than this here, but I just can’t recreate it. Maybe it will show up. That’s happened before. If not...at least I got it out and somewhere in the web world exists more useless pondering of an addict. 
Hope you enjoyed your Sunday! 

TinyBadger

Sep-7

One of our neighbors has blue hydrangeas and they are lovely. The deer ignore it. I have white and they get nibbled. I hear the color depends on the pH of the soil. Don't quote me on that. The only thing I've never seen even a nibble out of is my peonies. Even the dumbest fawn won't touch them. Not sure why, but I'm not complaining. I wonder if bunnies nibble pumpkin vines? The birds and bunnies can almost be as bad as the deer. My neighbor has two sheds up on cinder blocks and he puts vegetables underneath it to feed the little nippers. He smears peanut butter on the deck railing for the squirrels. Not a fan of that but if it makes him happy...it just leads a lot of squirrels our way and the dogs go nuts chasing them around. Sounds like a lot of stress for all parties involved. I thought it was funny that Yellowstone put out a thing today on twitter saying no selfies with fluffy cows. What a hoot.