About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started May-6 by Musivore; 37357 views.
TinyBadger

Sep-25

Look at you, living in the wild! I've got bears and you've got coyotes. I didn't realize you see them all the time in pdx. The fire must have scared him out to see him like that, I hope he's not hurt. I do worry about living things. Don't worry about the starfish, I know the perfect suctioned sea star will show himself when appropriate and you'll be able to snap a portrait. I ll be so pleased when you get it. In the meantime, I'll sit tight and think of good names for him. More max pictures in the mean time?

euknight

Sep-26

Wow....the description of you guys coming back to the house after a very surreal and empty afternoon; there really just are not words to describe the echo I am hearing; the wretched stillness and then the sound of a rain too late in coming.

I know you never thought of publishing...but this description of  what went on in your head....I really think it would be healing for so many who are at a pure loss of what to think or feel beyond grief.  Seriously.  There is beauty in those words.

So very devastated for your friend.  You are truly the best to be with her during this time.

euknight

Sep-26

Lol love the books in birdhouses, Tiny.  I like a geriatric neighborhood.  Sounds nice!!

Have to agree about keeping you on our good sides.  The bad boyfriend move was a very clear fork you message.  Don’t ya think?  You must have scared your parents some.  Lol.

Yep, you would be a handy one to have around.  My friend is traveling up to Washington...she loves Montana and Idaho....hates CO now because of horrible drivers and she had altitude sickness there bad.  Her Indian name is Bending Spoons.  She must be a distant relative of yours. When she got mad at her mom growing up she would bend all her spoons out of shape!  Lol.  Love.

Loreficent

Sep-26

Yeah, I’ve seen Coyotes in every part of the city, including downtown at night. Pat is born and raised here and says all his life he has too. They are quite skittish when I see them out walking at night and I’ve never been worried about them. I don’t take Whoopi after dark but I’ve taken Max. I also don’t let my kitties out. Know plenty of folks who have their kitties go missing and the general thought around here is that what happens. A colleague had her dog about Whoopi’s size fall prey to one. Sad thing is it was in her yard at night and she heard it. She lives on the West side in the hills and there are a lot more there that live in Forest Park where I run during the day sometimes. I’ve seen them in front of my house and all around my neighborhood on walks, but like I said, never early afternoon which had me worried for this one. He was bigger than he looks in the photo. I’d guess maybe 50 pounds. Max size but thicker coat. Yeah, certainly a lot more birds here from the fires. And Owls. He didn’t appear hurt, and looked quite healthy Tiny. He did look confused. That is a busier street I turn off to get to my street too, and there were a line of cars stopped behind me when I stopped. Well, 3 or 4. I pulled over and walked down the hill about a block behind him until he slunk off the more main road into side streets and felt better. He will be ok. He is Wiley! I loved your Bear story. I’d rather have the Coyotes as much as I’m out at night, thank you. Was a Bear in NE PDX a couple years ago and they did the same thing as your town did. That is definitely not usual for here and made big news. Was during the Gorge Fires. 

Loreficent

Sep-26

I think thank you, Peggy...? I write here to process and most just comes out. Don’t know if I could sit down and “try” to write something though. Other than my required creative writing stuff at University I’ve never written anything. Now just not smoking natter. Funny all the stuff that was behind that veil, yes? I surely have written a very discombobulated “journal” here. Much still and often to my surprise. Have a thought or memory about a smoke and write stuff, or what I would have smoked over. That’s all it is. That day though, going out there, is stamped on my heart forever for sure. Still processing it and suspect I will be for some time. Can’t get the smell out of my mind and it kept me awake a bit last night. It was different than the smell of smoke that drifted into the city and work for days. Funny what the senses combined will do. To see and smell and feel what the fire left in it’s wake...

• Edited September 26, 2020 9:22 am  by  Loreficent
Loreficent

Sep-28

OH, Hahahaha, oh my my! I have just had the time of my life! Oh boy. So not sure if you girlz have these in your cities, but you know those electric scooter things? The ones you put your card in and hop on and carouse around on and then just leave it wherever when you’re done? So coming home from work I see one ditched off a couple blocks from my house. And I said to myself, oh, how funny would it be to hop on that thing and take it back away from here somewhere and walk back tonight? You know...something different! So I said if it was still there when I headed out on my rounds I would do just that. Oh boy! You Ladies...we have a plan for if this Tribe gathers in PDX! Man. That was fun. Kind of odd at first and felt a bit awkward for sure, but, hey, I’m used to awkward. Oh I have always dissed on those things that have been around town for several years, always expounding on how it is so much better to actually walk or run or in some way actively engage moving the lower body to get around rather than stand on some dumb thing and ride around. Well...so, now I see why kids do all the things we tell them not to do like “don’t go out alone after dark” “ wear a helmet” , “don’t waste your money on that silly thing!”, etc...Because sometimes it is just fun! (Except smoke). Ok. I’ll settle down now. But I do believe this adventure needs to be on a potential “Tribe Bucket List”. I’m not sure what you all really look like, but I had me a heck of a rime riding around picturing all of us on one of these crazy things, just riding all over PDX! Come on! In the famous words of one of the Loves of my life (Bono) “Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?” Don’t think he meant one of these, but...yeeessss!

Ok Peggy...now I’ll go back out and soar on up to that Moon as mentioned earlier and blow that Eastward kiss. Life is just too short. 

Eve1973

Sep-28

I’m in! We only have the bikes that you can rent. Never saw scooters anywhere! Those I would be happy to try.....lol! 

TinyBadger

Sep-28

We've got no rental things, but I'm not really that coordinated so maybe I should skip along side. But I would be willing to try, if there was a helmet involved. 

Loreficent

Sep-28

Oh Eve, we could have painted the town red last night! Was a perfect night out. They’ve got a few different kinds of them here. They also have these really dumb looking things that are like a huge tricycle. Big fat tires on them and big cushy seat. One of those got ditched right next to my neighbor two houses down and was there 3 days. Our whole street was cracking up and nobody wanted to get on it to move it they are so ridiculous. Finally my one neighbor moved as he said his husband promised to take him out to dinner if he would as it was right in front of their Hell Strip. Was so sad I missed seeing him get on that thing but my other neighbor across the street took a little video and played it at our socially distanced BYOBandM Block Party and it was hilarious!!

Tiny you can have a helmet! Not to sound like the behemoth, but “Just Do It!”

CC to TinyBadger
TinyBadger

Sep-28

I'd definitely try it with a helmet. I admit I am a cautious type of gal, and I don't like the idea of cracking my head on the ground. My husband is an avid cyclist and he's been hit by cars three times because people don't pay attention. And yes, he is very polite, he behaves as though he were a car, stopping at stop signs and that sort of thing. One time someone opened their car door on to him. He uses clips to snap his feet into the pedals because all the fancy bikes are sold with them. Dangerous, I say. I almost smoked twice today. This morning I didn't think I could get in the car without going to the convenience store and my husband got a little snappy when I asked him for a ride so I left in a huff. Wanted to tell him to go to heck and get some. I pulled into the parking lot and sat in my car and cried  because I wanted one so bad. Then I'm sitting at my desk and someone asked me how my morning was going and I started crying all over again. So embarrassing. I just want to smoke. I have some lozenges left and I'm trying really hard not to use them as I haven't had one in weeks. I'm telling you, I want one bad. So here I am at work, not taking a lunch because I'm afraid if I get in the car I'll go buy some. On the bright sid e the hospital made bratwurst so I got a bun and kraut with mustard and some german potato salad to ease my pain. Even got a coke. They buy local and organic but I don't know how I feel about a hospital brat. I am just praying that I can hold strong.  I'm dying here and my usual tricks aren't working. Somebody tell me this is going to be ok.