About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 44674 views.
Loreficent

Oct-31

OMG. Can’t sleep. 2:20am. Alarm at 5:30. Yay. 
At least the moon is lovely.

Msg 5840.772 deleted
euknight

Nov-1

Tiny,
So the freeze never came but almost....kinda weird we were both getting it on opposite ends of country.  Yes...I like dry snow.....that is like REAL snow.  So often here it is freezing rain that just breaks trees and causes car wrecks.

Yeppers I transplanted the basil...still alive...better keep it in sunniest part of greenhouse.  Am going to turn the greenhouse into a warm winter greenhouse sooooooo am going to have to research heaters.  What I have been using is on its last leg I think and never made it actually warm in there.

I took off all the leaves and froze them.  Pesto I love.  Nothing like just sautéing a ton of Fresh basil, olive oil and garlic right Into al dente pasta. You need nothing else!!!  Well onion is always a given of course.  I put a bunch in this potato chicken soup with a bunch of other Italians spices the other day......Yummo.  I have the stems in my rosemary clippings fire pit.  Gonna be a most fragrant burn!!!!  Woohoo!!

You must try it...you can root it easily to in a clear glass jar/vase!!  Basil is such a distinct fragrance....lightens the mood.  Would not mind laying in a bed of basil....like Dorothy in the poppy fields!!,!!  Lol....maybe not quite!!

Peggy

5-8-30

TinyBadger

Nov-1

Well the snow is melting here, but it's still cool. I didn't realize you can freeze basil! What a neat idea! I admit I use it in place of bay leaves at times. I have also cheated and used the basil paste from the store to make pesto...no judging! Before I met my husband I didn't cook much because the guy I was dating worked at the crunchy food store and it had a deli, so he was always bringing food home. Of course, he was a vegetarian. So anyhoo, I dumped him and ate a chili dog!!! Hahaha! I didn't cook a ton, but my husband loves being in the kitchen so it's something we do together. My house is from the 1950s so our kitchen isn't huge and we sometimes get in each other's way, but we have fun and that's the important part. When we were dating he would come to my house every night with groceries and we would cook. We just kind of kept at it. One of my neighbors has a very large green house and it's heated. I wonder how she does it...I never hear generators or anything. I'm going to try the rosemyfire thing and I can only imagine you flopping around like a mackerel in a bed of basil. Made me laugh out loud!

Loreficent

Nov-1

Im coming to one of your houses after work for dinner! Lol! This kind of talk is above my head for sure. Can you microwave basil with olive oil and pasta? Hahaha! 

CC to euknight
TinyBadger

Nov-1

I'm so sad for you right now! We need to get you some cooking lessons! I know, I know, cooking isn't something you're interested in. You're a tuna sammy kind of gal and I respect that. I think its ok to only make a few things because then you do them well. I think I remember you talking about frying eggs, too. No shame in your game. I think that cooking is a lot of work. And I hate the clean up. Before we bought this house we rented one with no dishwasher. Man, it was awful! It was fine when I lived on my own and wasn't really cooking but sheesh! Our house now didn't have one and I made room for that sucker. And I bought a good one. And it paid off because when our plumbing had problems and we couldn't use the kitchen drain we could still run the dishwasher because it only uses 4.5 gallons of water and I had a five gallon bucket! Haha! Victory! You're always welcome at my table. Everyone is, as long as they treat people kindly and with respect. And you have to pretend my food is good. And pet my dogs. I don't know if I can trust someone who doesn't like dogs. Oh, and a whoodle sounds very cute. I'm going to Google this. 

Loreficent

Nov-2

Haha! Well, I got a dishwasher too Tiny, and it’s name is Lore. That’s the problem! Lol. Actually I can’t really say that as the last place we lived had one and I used twice the whole two years we were there. But I’m with you. Do t like cleaning up the mess! I make this one dish called Tamale Pie. It’s vegetarian and so good. You have to roast a bunch of tomatillos and Poblano Peppers and Onions and then put them in food processor with a ton of cilantro and some cumin and garlic. It makes this slop that you mix with pinto beans and tomatoes and some cotija cheese and then you put it on this corn bread mix that you make and bake it. It is really good but lots of steps and mess. I also make a lot of “scrambles” which have whatever veggies I have and eggs and usually some sort of cheese. Sometimes I mix it all up and bake it like a crust less quiche. I make the best Salmon too. And soups. I do miss my navy bean soup with a big ol ham shank but doubt the piggies miss it! Figure they like keeping their legs! Lol! I make a variety of grilled sandwiches too with veggies, and by this time you’ve probably guessed it...cheese. My favorite thing ever is breakfast for dinner!! I like what is is called a bunch of different things, and actually, I think Joel mentioned it that he made it, but basically you butter the bread both sides, cut a hole in the middle and fry an egg in there. We always called it “hole in the bread” joy. What kind of lame name is that?? Haha. Typical Midwesterner I guess; a spade is a spade. Yeah. Tuna Sammy is the best though. So many things to do with it really. Sometimes I put chopped walnuts and apples and it’s really good! So I’m not totally starving here. I eat pretty good, just simple. With a glass of milk. All meals come with a glass of milk. 
Ok. Now I’m hungry! 
Oh...and I have a rule of you can never have too much cilantro! heart_eyes

• Edited November 2, 2020 3:04 am  by  Loreficent
TinyBadger

Nov-2

Now you're cooking! It sounds like you are well fed! I do love milk but I must say that cilantro is my nemesis. I almost throw up when one little leaf touches my tongue. I got tricked the other day and picked up a honey herb fruit salad at work. Didn't see the BLOOMING cilantro all over it! I tried picking it off but I couldn't. Who does that? Fruit with cilantro? We call the egg bread thing "toad in the hole". Not sure why, thats just what people say. I love eggs! Probably one of my favorite things to eat. Besides popcorn. I'm glad you're eating well because covid takes a lot out of people. Good nourishment is important to staying healthy. People sometimes neglect their diets and end up not feeling their best. So eat on, and drink up, loreficent! Scramble those eggs with pride!

Loreficent

Nov-2

Bummer! Are you one of those folks who have a certain gene mutation  that makes cilantro taste like soap? That’s a real thing apparently. I will say...since I don’t have that gene thing and love it so that it is very good with fruit. Particularly mangoes, pineapple, stuff like that. I like it in eggs too. Lots of things, really. Watercress same thing. Folks either love it or don’t. How about arugula? Do you like that? That’s good on...Tuna! Haha! 
Ok...so, another Veg favorite. Ready? Good peanut butter, the one that is just peanuts and salt, nothing else. Even better if made with unblanched peanuts, so maybe a trip to the crunchy store. Then good jam. Strawberry or cherry, but not grape. Maybe blackberry but haven’t tried it with this. Then...you take jalapeño peppers, slice them thin and put on sandwich and grill it!! Yup! And if you are inclined, the first time I had it I was still eating meat, so some really good bacon on there too. I’m telling you. One of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had. Still really good without the bacon though. But...bacon will always have a special place in my heart as will a REAL hot dog. Those two things cannot be replicated with soy, or tempeh, or whatever. Like cheese. It is meant to be made from real milk. Nothing else. 
Ok...gotta go eat now! More later. I feel a lot in the air here right now and will probably have to write out some angst. flushed

• Edited November 2, 2020 9:02 pm  by  Loreficent
Msg 5840.780 deleted