About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 60475 views.
SusanK1960

Nov-13

Well crap Tiny!  That is a pooper of a day!  The good news is at least you are not a smoker! 

• Edited November 13, 2020 10:38 pm  by  SusanK1960
TinyBadger

Nov-13

I agree, but I do admit I seriously considered it several times today.

SusanK1960

Nov-14

Thinking of it is OK, doing it wouldn’t be.  I will tell you, it won’t help anything, but you know that.

Loreficent

Nov-14

Starfish. We can’t see them, but they are still there. Going about their sea lives and carrying on. 
Well, that sucks about tardive Tiny. So, changes then? Ugh. Well, probably good then the nicotine is out of your system. So, what part of smoking did you consider? I think it might be a good time to make a list of negatives. Ok, so that is kind of redundant and lame advice, but I’m a bit brain dead. Do the dogs sleep on the bed? I bet they are like little furnaces. Are you getting a new one tomorrow? 
You will be ok Tiny. I do believe that. Maybe is hubby’s turn to rub your head. Feet too. Yeah. Cup of cocoa, and a good book. Go to sleep early. Turn on your Ocean and think of all the creatures under there. Did you watch “My Octopus Teacher” yet? 
Im sorry. I’m pretty darn tuckered right now. Waiting for my second wind. Well, it’s actually gonna be about the 5th wind as I had a cup of coffee at work at about 3:30.

Things are gonna work out. Did you find the socks???

• Edited November 14, 2020 12:07 am  by  Loreficent
TinyBadger

Nov-14

My octopus teacher was so sad. It made me incredibly sad at the end. You're supposed to recommend fairy tales, loreficent! It was neat though, before the shark bidness. I didn't realize there is more than one bookstore! Anyhoo I was looking on google to see if that company made other socks and gadzooks! They do! You simply must look at this company's offerings. So many inappropriate socks to choose from, mostly profane, but I think it's funny. We had a store downtown that sold local offerings and I bought a hoodie that was super nice. High quality. Unfortunately, it had profanity intermingled with the word montana that I didn't notice! I thought it just said montana! I had worn that thing everywhere and I'm sure offended many a person. It was funny though, and I was sorry to see it go after a ton of wear and damage. Socks and potholders are on the way, maybe that will ease the pain. The dogs do sleep on the bed and it wasn't too bad last night. I slept in a hat and my chilly willys, though. I have central air and a very nice furnace, but it is older, it came with the house. The people in town that do estimates, not the techs, were either gone for the day or busy so we hope to find out something Monday. To replace it with something similar will be thousands of dollars, I'm sure. Thank goodness we don't buy each other Christmas gifts. We normally just give to charities, so it won't put a huge damper on our merrymaking. At least next week the highs will be low 40s so that's a little warmer until Friday when it goes back to 30s. And we have a fire pit, also good. Cocoa: check. Book: check. Feeling grateful for everything I have:check. Now all I need is a plan to stay smoke free until January. I just need the holidays to pass smoothly.

Loreficent

Nov-15

Haha! Chilly Willis? Nice. I think I need those. Except maybe I have them and they all have 4 legs and fur. 
ok...so plan for the Howlidays. One.Day.At.A.Time. Plus I just read what you and Jaka were talking about in your 5 months congrats thread. I like it. So you and hubby should start putting little post it notes around for each other. Daughter still does this for me and I like it. Just a line or two. A thought for the day kind of thing. Something positive and encouraging. Something personal. Like, tell him you like how he smells at night. He can tell you how your skin looks brighter, etc. I don’t know these are just examples, but hey. Use a little treat a day. Write some for yourself too, something like “I’m strong enough to have gone 5 months, I can do today”. Put up some pictures of tats you want. Anything that inspires. But do not look beyond the day your in.
Buy more socks! Gawd. I went to the actual website too and I have like 7 or 8 pair of them. I get them at the bookstore but it was fun to see them there and pick out ones I still want. I’m gonna order some pot holders too. Seriously? Who doesn’t need profane potholders?? Goes with my dislike for cooking! Love it. 

So, I’m trying to figure out how I’m getting through the end of year without getting COVID. Geez. This is worse than the beginning for us. Our numbers are through the roof. Even folks I’m testing without symptoms! No offense to anyone here, but where the heck is leadership??? Seriously? How many Americans does it take dying a day for one who is in the most esteemed office to quit bellyaching about himself? If this is not a wake up, well,  all I can say is it sure the heck ought to be people. Truthfully, I am not at all surprised as this has not really ever been about the people in my opinion but a political s*** show. Whatever. All of us will keep doing what we do the best we can. It sure is sad though, what I’m seeing. People are scared. People are sick. I’m stressed and worried. But I’m not smoking Tiny, and you’re not gonna either. 
We’ll see about this surgery. So far those things that don’t require an overnight stay are not canceled. Hope it stays that way. I’m kind of looking forward to a few weeks off! 
Good news, I’m home on time, not raining, and I’m gonna walk out my angst. Got a date with an Agave. That tenacious plant is still inspiring me, and I’m gonna let him. 
Oh...came back to add that I’m glad you watched the Octopus movie. Yes, sad. She dies. I warned you you would cry, but did you see the babies?? Circle of Life Tiny. Hers was very special indeed. 

• Edited November 15, 2020 11:09 pm  by  Loreficent
TinyBadger

Nov-15

I call them chilly willys. They are actually called hot chillys. Kind of a base layer long underwear mixture. So warm. The covid thing is scary. I saw the ama and cdc are pushing hard to have people not do their typical holiday gatherings, but neither group thinks people will follow that advice. People here are scared, too. When I did the drive through covid test thing at work I said I was sure I didn't have it but the nurse said she had 4 people that day who showed positive and didn't have symptoms. Scary stuff. My governor keeps trying to get people to mask up and stay home but every time I'm out most people aren't wearing masks or social distancing. Our hospital is filling and people just aren't listening. So I guess we can only do our best to protect everyone. We can't convince everyone but we can be kind and gently informative. I do live the potholders, the dishtowels too. You need to start knitting stuff like that and selling them during covid times. Keep the cash coming in. Every gal needs a back up plan. My back up plan is at fwp at the fisheries. I could help those little fellas and gals breed and move it upstream. Who doesn't love fish eggs? Round here they breed and die and then the eagles and hawks swoop in to get the floaters. Schools kids get brought to the water just to watch and take pictures. I researched the octopus movie this time with my husband. So sad. The baby at the end was very cute. He thought it was very touching how the river dude was almost crying at the end. I'll leave some notes round the homestead. Love notes, indeed.

Loreficent

Nov-15

Ohh, well I miss you too! I’m good. Got over whatever it was pretty quickly. Wait...do I answer this already?? Haha, lol! 
Max is still here, which I’m ok with. Friend may leave him over the howlidays. She was worried about me walking him after my surgery but I got help with that, and reassured her it will be just fine. I like you thinking about Riley still being somewhere safe, and I don’t think she has given up on that completely either. Definitely stranger things have happened. I had this cat once that came up to me outside a convenience store I had stopped at to get some smokes when I was in the Army. He had a tag on with his name, “Spinnaker” like the sail. I made a couple calls to the county where his tag was from. Long story short, he had been gone 8 months and was 3 and a half hours away! Well, this gal was just beside herself. I mean just beside herself. She drove that night to come get him. Was so joyful. I was glad she came and got him as my cat I had at the time was not into him at all. She was a rescue, thanks to my 20 Gauge I had at the time and me telling the boys that were drop kicking her back and forth they could either stop right then or I was gonna drop them off at the knees. Ended up spending a lot of money on that cat for her broken pelvis and hind leg. She stayed with me 14 years after that and resides in another Urn on my dresser. Was the only time I ever saw the Ex cry was when I had to have her euthanized. Only time. She was a terror that cat, and would attack people out of the blue. I never blamed her though. She never trusted anyone but me. The Ex a little bit, but she’d turn on him outta the blue too. Anyway, how’d I get here? Oh. Rescues. Yeah. May see Riley again. 
Glad you got some stuff done with the brush. I like the sounds of this guy. Yup. Power tools are the way to my heart to, lol! I like the sound of that spa room too! Be kind of fun to do a mosaic with that ethereal lighting. I’ll help! 
Gotta go unwind a bit. Needs some darkness and music. heart

euknight

Nov-18

Hey hey,

That is some rescue job.  Don’t blame you at all for keeping that cat.  Was very empowered to hear the 20 gauge story with those animal abusers!!  No tolerance for that!!

New pole saw is the bomb.

Ok ladies....found Powell’s bookstore and saw some cute socks but not the ones you pictured.  I love that you wear those to work, Lore.  Adds a little interest to the day for sure.  

Tiny, did you get your heater fixed or get a new one?  That is concerning with you guys up there in Montanaland!!  Eeeeek

Got the pool covered with tribe today.  We are having a beautiful mild Fall.  So the girl who was missing today tested POSITIVE so I have been exposed and soonest test I could get is Thursday.  I figure results not back til Monday.  No symptoms and 7 days since I was around her.

Temporary crown broke this AM so they got me in in the morning but now have to cancel it cos of this exposure.  So on hold but might be nice to be in quarantine with no males except Jackson who got a partial bath today cos of something oily around his neck.  Who knows!!

Hugs to All.  Have a fabulous smoke free day

Peggy

5-8-20

CC to TinyBadger
Loreficent

Nov-18

You know, I’d do that rescue again in heartbeat. Don’t have the 20G anymore, but I’d still find a way. There are some things one best not eff with around me. Animals, old folks, kids. That shotgun was one an old police officer BF got me as he didn’t like where I was living before I went in the Army. Kept it quite a while, finally gave it to a friend of mine’s husband when I was on my way West. Those boys are probably still wondering to this day who the crazy B was that took their cat away. Some things are just the right thing to do. Actually, hopefully, those boys aren’t poisoning the planet any longer, and I sure as heck hope they didn’t add anything to the human gene pool if you know what I mean. I was full prepared to make sure they wouldn’t. Yeah, sounds harsh and heartless. Folks have had their lives or legs shortened for less that’s for sure. And I’m not heartless, just thought more of the cat than them. Anyway. I knew you Peggy dear would understand. She was a real good kitty. 
Don't worry so much about the test. One, if you get this crud, you’re good stock and quite strong and would likely be fine. Two, it doesn’t change anything. So if your 7 days now, Thursday makes 9 days. Either way you have 5 more days of quarantine after the test even with a negative test. This is the hard part for folks to understand. With no symptoms, false negative rate is high. Sorry...can’t believe I’m writing about this. Sorry. But it sounds like you’ll get results right at the end of that time. Ours are taking that long now too. Was a little under 24 hours a week ago, but since last Friday it’s 3-5 days. Vaccine sounds promising. Not sure I want to be in the first round. Be nice to have a reliable antibody test. Good article in NY Times today about immunity potentially for years if you’ve had it, so that’s good news. It will be ok. You will be ok. 3 of my coworkers are back. 1 new one out. 
Bummer about the tooth! Do you have some of that putty stuff to put on there? Oh man. Some day I’ll tell you about my Dad’s homemade teeth. He was definitely a resourceful man. Chainsaw guy sounds like that too, lol! Is he exposed? 
Wait...how do you do a partial dog bath? Was it stinky oily or just oily? Poor guy. He probably thought he smelled handsome!joy Dogs. So good. 
Im gonna go walk again. Trying to get out of a funk since last workday. Now I’m thinking I should stop trying and just be in it. It is hibernating time after all. 
Big hugs back to you my friend. Things will be just fine. yellow_heart

P.S. Glad you found Powell’s. Love love love them. But, in the pic of the socks you can see the brand name on the tag I think and they have a website. Warning: Socks not for virgin eyes. Which is precisely why I wear them a lot to work! joy Keeps things entertaining and right now, that is most welcome around there. Anyway, you will probably laugh at many, and find others offensive, lol! Just ignore those ones. They are only socks and mean no harm....

• Edited November 18, 2020 3:26 am  by  Loreficent