About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 59631 views.
Loreficent

Nov-26

Never too much Eve!

Love mashed potatoes! Do you use butter and sour cream? Just butter? Daughter making those this year, so...I’m thankful for that too! Really you don’t like fresh cranberries? Have you tried them? For years, that was my oldest sister’s job on Turkey day. I grew up thinking it was the hardest part of the dinner to make, lol! Probably cause she made it so dramatic maybe? Then, once, in my early 30’s maybe, I took it on. Bought a bag, read the directions and did it. Wow. Blew my mind and I kept thinking, really?? That’s it? Boil water, add sugar, add berries, listen for the “pops” and...that’s it??! And I loved them! Also realized I can do sugar however I want (like quitting, right?) and add as much or as little as I want. So I make them all the time this time of year now when they are in the stores and eat them like crazy! I use half the sugar bag says as I like them tart. And... best thing is...you really feel like you made a homemade dish and it is the easiest thing EVER! So, I would suggest if you don’t do it today, just do it once this weekend and try it. Just once! You can add extra sugar if you want! You do you! Haha! joy

Read your other post about your brother and old traditions. I know you still think about and miss him. That’s a sweet memory Eve, and I’m glad you take time to share it and treasure it still. It makes days like today special to still share those things in our hearts. Now that’s enough sentimental stuff from me, so, yeah. Have a wonderful day and let’s continue on this smoke free journey! heart_eyes

P.S. I will definitely listen to Alice while cooking too! Fun idea! Maybe new tradition for me?

• Edited November 26, 2020 1:09 pm  by  Loreficent
Loreficent

Nov-26

Where you keep going off to? Do you have heat for the weekend? Dying to know what you cooked Tiny. Since you like it. I did enjoy making dinner today actually. Now am ready for bed!

Hope you are well friend! grinning

Eve1973

Nov-26

Hey Lore,

Yes use sour cream and butter. Put bacon in in too. Milk, and lots of spices, minced garlic, minced onions, oregano, and others. 

Did you listen? It is not Thanksgiving without Pierre! Love Alice’s Restaurant! I said earlier it was Arthur, but my fault Arlo Guthrie. 

Had a great day! I didn’t smoke! No temptations! All good! Hope your day was nice also! Stuffed so meal was good!

TinyBadger

Nov-26

Well, hello there....we had turkey, cranberry salad, stuffing, rolls and fresh sweet potatoes (NO marshmallows, NO canned produce). My feller ordered a lemon blueberry cheesecake from the fancy bakery so we had that too. They are surveying us at work to see if we want the covid vax on the first round. Of course people exposed to patients the most have first dibs. We cook "Thanksgiving" often so it's no big woo here. Who doesn't love a little gobble! Gobble! In their leftovers? All kidding aside, we have a board at work where you write what you are thankful for. I can think of so many things! A lot of people can't, though. It's so sad. I know 2020 has been a rough year but we are in it to win it and we can get through this. I have high hopes that we can get covid under control. Maybe this is controversial to some, but I am begging you, mask up, wash your dang hands and limit your social interactions/physical distance. I know it may seem easier for.me because I'm an introvert, but a few simple steps can save you and your neighbor. Ps. Don't touch your face. 

TinyBadger

Nov-26

I just realized I replied to you and you know all that covid stuff. It was meant for everyone, not just you.

Loreficent

Nov-26

Oh, that’s ok! Never hurts to hear it again. So, will you get first round of vaccine if you can? I go back and forth on it. Efficacy looks good, but I still haven’t read much about the trials. After yesterday though...wow. Numbers are crazy. Saw this elderly couple, him 74 with COPD, heart issues, high blood pressure, on blood thinners, overweight, and her 72 with Diabetes and some other stuff. Well, they were “bored” and tired of being home, so went to Vegas. Mmmhmmm. Two days after they got back, sitting in front of me, sick. We have rapid testing now which for folks with symptoms is pretty good if early in the symptoms, like first few days. So, yeah. Both positive. WTH. Bored? Is that like, worse than dead and I missed something? My whole day was like that. I haven’t left work that disheartened and actually kind of mad in a while. So, yeah. Their boredom is justification for coming in and putting all of us at risk because “this is what we do”. Well. Tiny, I am over it. Just over it. So many people getting out of medicine right now, or wanting to. Count me in that camp. Hoping to feel rejuvenated and better after my month off. We will see. Enough of that. I got Saturday to work, then off till December 30th. So I will hopefully miss a lot of the Thanksgiving travel surge that definitely will happen. 
Your dinner sounds fabulous! Perfect. I made way too much food! Had only us 4 that are usually here, nobody additional or new. But I cooked like it was for the crowd last year. Actually couldn’t find a smaller turkey and the smallest I could get fresh organic was 14 pounds. Was good in the sense it holds more stuffing than a small one, but what am I gonna do with all of this food?? My fridge is too full of Kombucha!joy 

Well, I’m gonna go finish cleaning up and go see John and go to bed. I’m contemplating getting up really early to go get some new AirPods. I have never done the Black Friday thing. Ever. I usually work but took it off as we were supposed to have our dinner tomorrow with Pat’s mom as it is her Bday,  but those plans got nixed a while ago and I told her she can’t come over. I am really afraid of being a carrier and am very cautious. Doubt I am, but can’t say 100% and I’m not wanting to try to sleep at night with the thought of getting others sick. Oh, where was I? Oh, so the AirPod Pros are on a huge sale and I want them so might drive down and see if there is a line, I won’t, but if I get there early, maybe? But then I have to spend the rest of my life feeling like a hypocrite for doing the Black Friday thing, so maybe not. Ha! So, I guess if that is my biggest dilemma I think it means I have a tremendous amount to be thankful for right?

• Edited November 26, 2020 11:49 pm  by  Loreficent
TinyBadger

Nov-27

I go back and forth on the vax thing too. The one they are using Is from Pfizer and is supposedly 90 percent effective. We can still opt in later so I'm letting the nurses and physicians take the first round. I guess you have to take some days off work after because it can hit hard. It's also two doses. Luckily I don't have much contact with other people as a lot of people are working from home. I work half and half. New air pods, eh? Did I hear you say they are squishier? I wear hearing aids so my music  gets piped in that way, through the Bluetooth. I've heard good and bad about those. Do give us a full review! And please don't sit on a corner waiting for them! You don't want to be in a tent,waiting forever. People do that for phones! You'll be in turkey and kibblins until next year! What a wonderful problem to have. I admit I am a little jealous. I'm making homemade granola bars today, though. Lots of raw nuts and dried fruit. 

Loreficent

Nov-27

That sounds amazing!

So I didn’t go, but am goi g to the store now and if they still have some I will get them. Will let you know! Yes, that’s why I want the Pros as they have soft tip and shorter stem. Also have good noise cancellation I’m told so good for my meditation apps. Maybe not noise cancellation while walking or running g though as I may end up squishy too! joy

I have to look at the data on the vaccine. Have to have a COVID test Monday for my surgery. Will sure be glad when this is in our rear view mirror. Kind of like smoking. Hmmm. Anyway. 
Gotta run but will check back. Hang in there Tiny. One day at a time. You already quit, so just don’t start again. Maybe try the meditation app? Also, I did that one by Deepak Chopra and Oprah early in the pandemic and it was so good. They have a new free 21 day one again.more in a bit!

TinyBadger

Nov-27

Well I'm going to prattle on because I have nothing to do and am struggling hard core. I've stated this before, but the holidays are rough for numerous reasons. I made it through Thanksgiving without smoking, but I had to work a half day today and I almost went to the store on the way home. I would have bought some if it wasn't for my husband. I'm trying hard to give up pop (without kombucha, loreficent) but I ended up sending the mister out for a coke. I was worried if I went out I'd buy some. I'm struggling hard. I'm trying to focus on my usuals: the oak tree and the tidepools. God I wish covid would end so I could go see the ocean. I want to wander down the sand and peep around the pools. Crabs and anemones. And the starfish. I can't wait to touch one. Loreficent describes them but I know they are even better than she can explain. My only hope is that when the pandemic is over I can go and see the ocean. The rhythm of the waves, the soothing sounds...i listen to the waves when I want to smoke. I play the waves when I'm at work and feeling the temptation. Loreficents oak tree visualization works pretty well, too. Focus on the oak. Strong and wise. Deeply rooted. God, loreficent, where are you? I know you're eorkingy, but dang it, this is very inconvenient!

SusanK1960

Nov-27

I’m not as good as Lore at taking your mind off stuff, however I’ll give it a whirl.  Today is my 38th wedding anniversary.  We had sloppy joes and homemade French fries.  Neither of us got or gave a present cause if we need it, we get it.  I wanted to make a lemon cake with lemon frosting for the celebration, but we still have two pies with one piece missing from each.  We obviously are pretty low key, but like all celebrations in this year of the virus, we have chosen to forego some traditions.  

I have been to the Pacific and Atlantic Ocean.  Do you think they would be different?