About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Newbie Here   Quit Support

Started May-20 by Jayceelum; 805 views.
Jayceelum

May-20

I'm Jaycee and I haven't quit, yet. It's my goal to quit at the end of this pack of cigs. I hate them so much... the way they taste, the way they make me feel, how they make my breath smell. They're gross!!! Every time I buy another pack, I feel SO disappointed in myself. I only smoke five a day, but that's enough to compromise my health and make me addicted.

I came here to find inspiration. I have read statistics that say that cold-turkey is how 85% of successful quitters quit, so that's how I'm going to do it. I have eleven left and I'm not going to destroy them, although I know that would be best. I will smoke one or two more today and the rest tomorrow and Saturday. I know I have a lot of withdrawal to go through and I'm looking forward to hear about your successes and even your failures to see how I can gather strength and hope from that.

Thanks so much for sharing your stories.

~Jaycee

DebraAnne60

May-20

Hi Jaycee,

I quit cold turkey and I have to admit, after the first three days, it got real easy.  Then in came and went in waves for a few months.  Now it seems fairly peaceful.  We shall see.  There is plenty to read in the Discussions column to keep you distracted from your smokes when you decide to quit.  Also, I highly recommend Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking - great book.  Really helped to deal with the mindset.  At least it did for me.

Keep in touch and good luck.  Remember - if you think you can't do it, your right.

Cheers

Jayceelum

May-20

I love that! If you think you can't do it, you're right. You probably know how many times I've said to myself, "I'm just not ready!!" After literally praying the night before that I would be able to resist the craving...  Well, I know I could go on saying that until the damned things kill me!

Also, I know I can do it, as I have before!! I quit for fifteen years, then I left my husband. For some reason, they became my new best friend. And it seems like in the last few months (I've been smoking for about five years now) the cravings come faster and faster!!! I have begun saying to myself, "You gotta quit, you gotta quit, you gotta quit..." It really is time.

Thanks so much for responding. I've never been part of a group like this and I have a feeling it will really help! xo

troy4868

May-20

I started smoking after I separated from my wife about 4 yrs ago. I had stopped for 16 yrs before when I was married. I'm on day one today.  Good Luck Jaycee!

Jayceelum

May-21

Hey Bud! I started reading the material suggested in one of the forums... it's pretty interesting! http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf    One premise is that we don't enjoy the cigarettes while we are smoking them and I have ALWAYS known that!!! I HATE the effing things! Just can't resist the urrrrrge. You must know what I'm talking about. ;) 

Hope your day's  going well. 

troy4868

May-21

Yes I can relate,  Usually I tell myself I'll quit tomorrow, tomorrow,tomorrow after I've lit up.  Sometimes I tell myself  I must not really want to quit because if I really wanted to quit it wouldn't be this hard. I'm glad I got on here because I was starting to have cravings and starting to begin to talk myself into lighting up  Talk to you later

Loreficent

May-21

Hi again Troy,

What you just wrote reminded me of something I wrote at the beginning; I said if I waited till I was “ready”, I’d never quit.

Here is a quote I put a ways back that I had found helpful:

”Don’t wait for your feelings to change to take the action. Take the action and your feelings will change”.

Jayceelum

May-22

Well, Troy, now it's my turn to follow your inspiration. I smoked my last cig in the pack tonight and the craving started so immediately, it almost made me laugh! We are strongly addicted, but like Loreficent pointed out, our feelings will eventually change and we'll be free from the prison of addiction to those foul-tasting cancer sticks.

Deep breaths because we're going to be able to take them, now! :)

~Jaycee

troy4868

May-22

I hope you guys are right!

Jayceelum

May-22

Good Morning,

Woke up thinking ahhhhh time for a cigarette... lol sneaky thing. Didn't smoke!  How are you doing so far today, Troy? I suppose it won't be so minute by minute after the first couple of weeks, but man, it sure helps to know there's someone else out there going through it, too. Hope you're staying strong!! xo

Jaycee