About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Just one .. : ( ...    Quit Support

Started May-29 by JerseyDee; 447 views.
JerseyDee

May-29

Well this is an update I hate to make but feel I owe it to the group to level with everyone in both, good times and struggles as well.  Over the weekend I had an unbelieable craving for just one from my neighbor .. this was after 12 weeks into my quit.  Well on Monday I did it.  I am sorry to say but I bummed a smoke from neighbor and smoked a yucky, stinky cigarette : (  ...

I just could not control myself.   Tuesday was bad and I struggled all day but did not cave and it took  a few days to get myself right back on board right again.

In the end I did only have one cigarette and have fell off the horse but dusted myself off and am right back on that horse again.  I am not counting that cheat into my quit equation consider myself still quit since 3/5/20 ..

I can and will do this but felt the need to share with everyone.  I do not recommend doing what I did as Tuesday was really rough as a result and felt like I was back at square one.  It was not easy but am over the hump again.

Wish I had not done that.  But that is the story I have been meaning to share with you.  I know it's a bummer ; (   Thanks for listening and support.  - Dee

modanjim

May-29

Hi Dee,

Well you have dusted yourself off and your back on the horse.  Fantastic!!!  How did it feel to have that cigarette? beside guilt?  

The feeling of wanting another cigarette may come again, How are you going to handle it next time?  

I am someone who fell off the horse and never got back on  right away ,so I commend you  for continuing your quit journey.  

Keep focused and move on...  A slip up does not define you.

Keep your eye on the prize....A smokeand disease free life.

Maureen

04/15/2020.

livtoswim

May-29

Dee,

You smoked a cigarette.  Dust yourself off. Stand proud and keep going.  Write down in your journal why you caved.  It wiil help.    I started quitting  3 years ago on this forum. 

My quit journal will show that  I am a Chronic relapser.  Over the years,  I have learned that no way can I just have one, use all the tools in my toolbox and take it one day at a time.  That seems to be working so far.   Why don't you start the NOPE pledge tomorrow?

Note to yourself- Your best is always good enough.

SusanK1960

May-29

Hey,

What are you going to do now so that doesn’t happen again?  The seeds were planted long before this slip happened. Please take time to figure out where the seeds came from and change it so it doesn’t happen again.  It is junkie thinking and junkie thinking will always be with us, even in the forever quit, so you need to figure out how to change it while you are still close to the slip, so your feelings and memories are still fresh.  

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-do-i-recover-from-a-smoking-relapse-2825216

JerseyDee

May-30

Thank you Maureen -- I like how you said a slip up does not define you.

JerseyDee

May-30

Thank you Deanne -- I will start the pledge today and take on a hardy NOPE today.

JerseyDee

May-30

Thank you Susan -- I will do as you say.

Loreficent

May-30

Life goes on Dee...just keep going with it. You are stronger than you know...and often stronger than you feel.

JerseyDee

May-30

Thank you Lore!

overdoz

May-30

I appreciate your honesty Dee. Nicotine is a very underrated drug, and sometimes i am ashamed to say that i have junkie thoughts of having one or two, its incredible that when i quit in the beginning it was cause i was sick to death of smoking, and the headaches and the first week or two weren't that bad, but lately 6 weeks into it, I am still having junkie thoughts of smoking, i cant believe it. Although they are a bit quieter than before, they are still there. So i think of eating pasta or pizza and the cravings go away. If the gym were open it would help a lot i guess to lift weights. Yeah by having one, you can get back on with things it had happened to me once a long time ago i had been quit for over a year and had two at a bar, i didnt get hooked right away, its the psychological part of it. If you think about it, we socialized a lot by smoking, and hung out on our balcony and took deep breaths. Thats a lot to give up also right? 

Overdoz quit 04-17-2020