About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Mental illness and quitting   Health Support and Encouragement

Started Jun-1 by cassDragon; 427 views.
cassDragon

Jun-1

Hi everyone. I know I want to quit. My pack will run out tomorrow. Recently I feel like something is really wrong and it scares me. I got diagnosed with bipolar disorder, PTSD and anxiety 3 years ago. Since then I have smoked a pack and a half a day. I’m most concerned that by quitting it will set my moods off. I’m already struggling and I don’t want to make things worse. I guess I’m just trying to see if anyone else has had this experience. I want to stop I just don’t know how if that makes sense. Thanks for listening. 

DbAnne

Jun-1

Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking

http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

Here is the link - start reading it before you quit.  This will help.

Amicahomi

Jun-1

It makes lots of sense, cass.  Will you be sure to work with your health care folks while you do your quit?  Maybe you'll be sensitive to the brain chemicals clearing out of your system.  But you might reflect on that, and I'll bet you will notice that the wheels soon stop spinning and you will have a solid sense of accomplishment and a cleaner environment for your good health.  Post here when you're frustrated or concerned - members have experienced everything and will help you along.  {sending serenity vibes }

DbAnne

Jun-2

See you Doctor.  Get vitamins and extra mineral supplements to help off set some of the changes in your system.  B12 is a big one for me.  Also pick up some soothing music to help you with the mood swings.  It is going to be tough.  Listen to what your doctor tells you and stay close to us here on the forum.  Best way to quit is cold turkey - its faster and you don't have NRT's interfering with your ptsd and anxiety meds.  But overall, you should consult your doctor to find out what you can and/or cannot do and what you can expect.

Good luck and cheers to you for making the decision to quit smoking.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Elizaquits

Jun-3

Hey DbAnne,

Just curious as to why you say quitting cold turkey is best?

Studies and statistics show that only 3-5 percent of people who quit that way, remain quit for more than 6 months..

Heatherfree

Jun-3

I also struggle with anxiety and depression - for a long time I thought smoking helped with this - but I have realized when I quit for 5 months that IT DOES NOT Help - my anxiety increases when I am in constant nicotine withdrawal - after about a month of not smoking it is very clear to me that SMOKING does not help at all - it just feels that way because I feed my withdrawal. I use NRT for the first few weeks as I do not need my anxiety off the charts - once I get stronger in my quit then I slowly decrease the NRT until I am free. 

DbAnne

Jun-3

I say quit cold turkey is best because you quit only once.  You don't have to quit smoking, then quit the NRT's.  And, because to my way of thinking, you get a cleaner quit.  You know, when you don't smoke, that's it.  No nicotine in your system to purge.  So you have the first three days of not smoking to get the nicotine out of your system and the rest of the year to re-progam yourself to not smoke. 

I don't like prolonged torture.

To be clear - I also suffer from generalized anxiety and depression and I have felt that the sooner I was off the smokes (no NRT's) the cleaner I felt quicker.

Everyone is different.  What matters most is that you quit the smoking.  If you need NRT's to do that, then use them.  No matter what, the goal is to quit smoking even if you stay on the NRT's for months and years.

Cheers 

• Edited June 3, 2020 9:51 am  by  DbAnne
In reply toRe: msg 7
Elizaquits

Jun-4

Good morning,

Ah, okay. It is just a personal opinion - thanks for the clarity!

DbAnne

Jun-4

Yes it is my personal opinion and the opinion of many others (not just me) who have quit cold turkey.  I do however recognize that most people cannot quit cold turkey.  Most people have to use NRT's.  What NRT did or are you using?  Did it work for you? Are you still on the NRT or have you quit that as well, yet? 

To many, cold turkey conjures up visions of torturous pain, suffering and general drudgery. In fact, it is easier to stop smoking using the cold turkey method than by using any other technique. Cold turkey induces less suffering and creates a shorter period of withdrawal. Most important, cold turkey is the approach by which the smoker has the best chance of success.

Smokers must recognize that they are drug addicts. Nicotine is a powerfully addictive drug. Once the smoker has smoked for a fairly long time, the body requires maintenance of a certain level of nicotine in the bloodstream. If this level is not maintained, the smoker will experience varying degrees of drug withdrawal. The lower the level, the greater the intensity. As long as any nicotine remains in the bloodstream the body will keep craving its full complement. Once the smoker quits, their nicotine level will drop to zero within three days, and they will have moved beyond peak withdrawal. Within 2 to 3 weeks, all symptoms of physical withdrawal will cease. Cravings for an occasional cigarette may continue, but this is due to past psychological conditioning and not to a physical dependence.

Cutting down on cigarettes or use of nicotine replacement strategies throws the smoker into a chronic state of drug withdrawal. As soon as the smoker fails to reach the minimum requirement of nicotine, the body starts demanding it. As long as there is any nicotine in the bloodstream, the body will demand its old requirement. Smoking just one or two a day or wearing a patch which is gradually reducing the amount of nicotine being delivered will result in the smoker not achieving the minimum required level, creating a chronic state of peak drug withdrawal.

This state will continue throughout the rest of the smoker's life unless one of two steps is taken to rectify it. First, the smoker can stop delivering nicotine altogether. Nicotine will be metabolized or totally excreted from the body and the withdrawal will stop forever. Or, the smoker can return to the old level of consumptions accomplishing nothing.

Therefore, cold turkey is the method of choice. Once the smoker stops, withdrawal will end within two weeks. If you smoke, we can help you over this crucial period of time. Once it is past, you can rest assured that you will never need to smoke again. Then, to stay off you will simply need to remember to Never Take Another Puff!

• Edited June 4, 2020 11:34 am  by  DbAnne

Hi there, 

Many folks agree that cold turkey may be the ideal method for quitting smoking.  However,  the use of NRTs is also an acceptable method to quit, especially if someone is determined to quit.  Generally speaking this forum respects whatever  decision the quitter makes.

it appears that you copied and pasted information from a source - please correct me if I am wrong.  If it is from a source it is best to quote that source.

Best wishes.