About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

For my fellow patch people..   Quit Support

Started Jun-7 by Elizaquits; 2049 views.
JerseyDee

Jun-8

Congratulations in coming off the patch successfully Eliza! .. And good on you in getting 8 weeks down.  YOU GO!!

Elizaquits

Jun-8

Thanks Dee!

It's weird because technically it is 8 weeks, but I won't hit the 2 month date until the 10th. Which do you use? Also, I should be honest and admit that I still carry a few pieces of gum with me where ever I go. It is my just in case gum, and I think it is better to be safe than sorry! I wanted to ask, do you wait to chew it after you eat/drink? It says to wait 15 mins, but that seems to defeat the purpose! I don't want to wait! lol 

On another note, I was just thinking about you this AM as I did yoga! I have been meaning to tell you, turns out, even before yoga, I was naturally doing a few poses when I stretched! Cactus arms, warrior pose, and another one that the name escapes me right now, are very similar to how I stretched before even knowing it was a "pose". I am really digging yoga, thanks again for the recommendation! :)

JerseyDee

Jun-8

Good Afternoon Eliza - no shame in game in carrying the gum. I do not wait 15 mins after I eat .. I rinse my mouth out with water and then take gum immediately after. Still take after lunch and dinner but downgraded to 2MG.

I know what you mean about having been doing poses befote ypu even knew they were poses .. I did that eith a few of them too .. Relaxing child's pose comes to mind.

Have a great day. It is absolutely gotgeous out there today .. So my kind of weather .. Enjoy!

TinyBadger

Jun-9

I know that Allen Carr's book says nrt isn't the optimal way to quit, but every time I've made it more than 5 months it was with patches giving me a head start. I love them, because it does take the edge off and it does help me battle the psychological cues to smoke. To each his own, but the patches are a godsend to me. My downfall is anxiety and stress. Note that I do follow the directions precisely when I use them. Anyhoo, I've also found the lozenges to be helpful for those considering that route. Congratulations and well done!

Nope62

Jun-9

Hi! I am happy about your quit! I hope that you continue to be successful in your quit!

I read this thread and I've read a lot of other material about the best way to quit smoking. I have personally tried every way that I know of at least once, with the exception of the gum. From what I've learned there is no evidence to support the fact that any specific way of quitting is any better than the other.

Now, someone will come on here and provide facts that state otherwise. It's just not true! I can find facts all over stating different things. A person's chances of quitting smoking have nothing to do with the method. It's all about the individual person's mindset. Everyone's quit is different!  If your mind is not into the quit, your not going to make it. If you are committed mentally to your quit you will make it, as long as that commitment is kept up.

I quit once using Chantix. It was the longest quit I ever had. Tried it again several years later and couldn't quit at all. It was never about the Chantix, even the first time around, it was about me. I wasn't ready, mentally, to quit the second time. I thought the drug would do it for me. WRONG!

Lastly, I would like to congratulate everyone who has quit smoking, no matter how they did it!

Take Care!

In reply toRe: msg 6
TinyBadger

Jun-9

I agree. It doesn't matter what it takes, just quit, that's  the important part. I've had a million people tell me a million ways, buy at the end of the day I know that I have to want it. I have to want it so bad that I'm willing to do everything in my power to fight for it. 

Nope62

Jun-9

Your doing fine! If using patches keep you quit, so be it. Whatever it takes.

I have quit so many times in so many ways, I can't even remember them all. But over the last couple of months I came to a conclusion. The only way I'm ever going to beat this addiction is to get my mind right about it. I'm doing alright now, but I still have to take it one day at a time to stay quit. It's all up to me.

Take Care

In reply toRe: msg 6
slowblumer

Jun-10

Nope62 said:

A person's chances of quitting smoking have nothing to do with the method. It's all about the individual person's mindset. Everyone's quit is different!  If your mind is not into the quit, your not going to make it. If you are committed mentally to your quit you will make it, as long as that commitment is kept up.

Thanks Jeff, well said.

Elizaquits

Jun-10

Hey Tiny, 

I hear you and feel the same! For me, patches were the way to go as well. I did intend to use them as directed, but due to the allergic reaction, I sped the process up a bit. I also understand what you mean about anxiety and stress, I suffer from both as well. Have you checked out the articles on the verywellmind site? There are a number of articles on there with tips/tricks to help combat those thoughts/feelings, I personally, have found them very helpful. Don't get me wrong, I have not been cured overnight by any means, but now as those thoughts/feelings start to creep up, I have tools to help dismantle them and stay present in the moment I am in. 

I haven't tried the lozenges (I still have SO much gum left!) but I have heard good things about them.  

Forgive me, where are you now with your quit? Are you using patches now?

Elizaquits

Jun-10

Hey! 

Thank you! I hope to be successful too and I hope the same for you! How is your quit going? 

A good friend of mine used Chantix and that worked for her, yet, my sister used it and was unable to deal with the dreams/side effects that it caused. I agree with you in that there are different strokes for different folks. I will have to agree to disagree with you on the chances of quitting smoking, but we can leave it at that. I am not trying to put anyone's method down, whatever method, if it helps to quit - go for it! I truly do believe all methods can be used to quit smoking - what is most important as you mentioned is the mental commitment to quitting. If you are not mentally ready, the chance of the quit sticking diminishes. While the patches helped wean me off nicotine, I do believe it was my mental commitment to quitting that made me successful this time. The other big thing I think is helpful to quitting is building up a toolbox of information that you can always reach back and rely on, as well as knowing what to expect in the quit. This site has done a tremendous job in doing just that. Every time I felt some sort of way, there was either an article or a quit buddy on here that explained why that was happening and  how to navigate it (not to mention with a reminder that it would pass!). 

I will join you in congratulating all the quitters, no matter how they did it!! 

Cheers to quitters and quitting! :)