About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Lung Cancer   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Jun-13 by skythrutrees; 575 views.
skythrutrees

Jun-13

I am approaching my 2.5 year quit date. I smoked for 55 years and quit on my first try. Unfortunately, I didn't quit soon enough. In April, I could hardly breathe and called 911 to take me to the ER. I had a malignant pleural effusion--fluid on the lung. 4.5 liters of fluid were drained from my left lung.  I have bladder cancer on my lung with no other mets in the lymph nodes or elsewhere. I am undergoing immunotherapy with keyruda, the same treatment President Carter had for his skin and brain cancer.

I urge everyone who is trying to quit to quit for good. Yes, the cravings are hard  for a while, but nothing compared to the fear of not being able to breathe, and battling lung cancer.

Nope62

Jun-13

I am sorry to hear about this! I hope that things get better for you soon!

I've been quit for about a month now. But I often get the feeling that the damage is already done. I'm not exactly sure how long I smoked, at least 47 years. I still believe I'm better off quitting than continuing to poison myself.

Prayers! Jeff

In reply toRe: msg 2
skythrutrees

Jun-13

You are far better off! I have not smoked 14,000 cigarettes since I quit in 2017. I think I have a far better chance in my current situation because I quit.

TinyBadger

Jun-13

I'm so sorry. At least you quit, so that can only make things better. You're doing a great job and quitting can help your situation. Please keep sharing your story, so that we can support you. I've smoked for over 20 years and I admit that many people in my family are smokers and have developed complications because of it. It scares the bejeebers out of me to think about it, and I worry that the damage has already been done. You take care and be strong. We've got your back and will support you. 

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your powerful message. It adds a perspective for everyone trying to quit smoking.  

I remember you from 2017 and you always had a positive  message to the newbies.  

Congratulations on 2.5 yrs quit.  

SusanK1960

Jun-13

Hi Mike,

I am so very sorry to hear this news!  The pulmonary effusion must have been very frightening!  You have bladder cancer in your lung?  Would this be metastatic cancer?  I am so happy to hear you have been smoke free for over 2 years.  If you had the fortitude and mindset to quit smoking, I have all the confidence in you that you will be able to quiet the cancer monster!  Praying to give you strength to fight this insidious monster!

skythrutrees

Jun-13

Hi Susan - Thank you!  It is metastatic bladder cancer. My bladder cancer was in remission for several years until recently when it developed in the lower lung base with no other mets, which gives me hope. I generally stay away from medical websites that are generally outdated on immunology, but have joined a cancer survivors website forum, which, like this one, has posts from people in different stages of recovery.

SusanK1960

Jun-13

Good for you Mike!  It is heartening to hear there is no lymph node involvement.  Your initial cancer was inactivated once.  Fingers crossed for the best possible outcome in the shortest amount of time for you, again!

skythrutrees

Jun-14

Thank you, Susan!