About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Lung Cancer   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Jun-13 by skythrutrees; 2195 views.

Lurking on the forum & ran across your post

I am sorry to hear this Mike - you helped keep me sane on this crazy journey 

Stay strong Mike

best

Steve

Molly010

Aug-10

Hey Mike,

I remember you being a few months ahead of me and your posts were real helpful when I first quit.  So sorry to hear about this.  Sounds like it has not spread, which is a good sign.  When people used to tell me that being healthy was such a positive thing, I always took that for granted.  Your story certainly puts things in perspective:  not being able to smoke vs. not being able to breath and going through treatments.  Will send positive thoughts and vibes your way!   Please keep us posted.  

skythrutrees

Aug-11

Thanks for your message, Molly!

It's interesting and encouraging how the treatment for different forms of cancer has advanced in the last few years. I had bladder cancer several years ago, which metastasized into my lower left lung and is considered bladder cancer not lung cancer. It did not go into the lymph nodes or anywhere else.

Cancer is not recognized by the immune system so it can't fight it. I'm receiving targeted immunotherapy, which changes that and allows the immune system to both see and fight cancer. There are folks on the American Lung Cancer forum that have the same condition that has stayed at bay for a long time.

The side effects from the infusions given every 3 weeks are not as severe as chemo, basically fatigue, which I'm learning to manage.

The bottom line on this is that I don't think I would have had bladder cancer had I never smoked or used toxic chemicals in my work as a painter.

My breathing has improved significantly since my discharge from the hospital in late April. I climb stairs in my apartment building and can rapidly climb several flights without stopping. My recovery time becomes shorter the more I exercise.

I live in Florida and can't go outside after early morning because it's too hot. And I am extra vigilant about going anywhere during the pandemic.

I don't think I would be writing this had I not stopped smoking. And I'm fortunate to be able to breathe unassisted by supplemental oxygen.

All the best to you!

Mike

Just dropping in to give you a high five! Quitting was THE BEST THING YOU COULD EVER CONQUER! Having cancer sucks but now your body can fight it without having to filter out cigarette smoke too. Immunotherapy drugs are doing wonders for several types of cancers but it still is no piece of cake. You be proud of your monumental accomplishment as getting covid19  is the last thing you need. I hope you stay healthy and remain a successful quitter for life. I quit at age 58 and at age 60 I climbed the CN Tower in Toronto 1776 steps 146 floors in 33:48. Not bad for a past smoker older person. My lungs continue to heal and I do a lot more exercise because I have great lung capacity now. In September I will hit 7 full years quit and I feel very proud to have conquered that nicotine monster. I hope you continue to keep that cancer at bay and that you enjoy your new smoke free life. All the best relaxed You Definitely Are No Sissy!!!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

skythrutrees

Aug-11

Thank you Debbie!

You're my hero. 146 floors. Wow!

I was also a fully dedicated alcoholic with panic disorder. I've been sober for 18 years, and learned how to handle anxiety. I wrote and published a book about my journey.

So now, when people call be a quitter, I smile and say YES!

Molly010

Aug-11

Nice to see you Debbie!  Just want to congratulate you on your 7 years quit in case I miss it!  Thanks for sticking around and being so supportive.  :)

Rich (lexx0)

Aug-12

Sorry to read this Jeff!  I quit in 2011 and in 2016 came down with lung cancer, 3a, a tumor the size of a egg, and several lymph nodes throughout the left lung.  By the time they finished with me I only have an empty left sack with a rebuilt blood vessel going through it.  Also suffered a blood clot in the tumor.   If there is anything I can do or say let me know.  I have been there and it took months from a diagnosis to finally getting the operation.  Chemo was a b*tch, and today its caused me many probs.  I wrote a full diary here to warn people on the fence trying to quit some cold hard facts about smoking.  I had been quit for about 6 years, so I had no idea ;(  My diary is called The big C and I lived there for about a year or more.  I think a journal would help you as much as it can help others see your pain and day to day feelings on lung cancer, not to mention bladder cancer!  IM me if you need anything.  Its a cold hard world and this forum was my ticket to salvation.

Rich

Rich (lexx0)

Aug-12

Aye, I went through weeks of PT myself.  I had to work up the strength to be operated on. Suck part was the chemo they gave me was so strong that they couldn't use the robot cause the area was all gooey (surgeon's term not mine ;p).  From what I've learned most smokers get cancer in the upper lobe cause smoke lingers up there much longer.   Also, steps was a prob for me, that's when I had the embolism that delayed surgery for 2/3 months because I had to get a blood filter in my leg and go on blood thinners for the duration, and 6 months afterward.  I just had a heart attack July 1.  Again, no reason for the clot, but its going to be another slog getting through.  I bought a fitbit to get through the PT. It was a good motivator to keep track of my daily activity.

You can do this! Rich

Anne2020

Aug-27

I am sorry but what is PT?

In reply toRe: msg 26
Loreficent

Aug-27

Hey Anne,

I realize not posted to me, but I think he is referring to Physical Therapy. I’ve been following these guys too as they are such an inspiration and testament to the quit process. I’m very sorry to learn of Rich’s passing this morning through Eve. He was always one to jump in and encourage and set such a fine example. 
To all of his quit buddies, I am very sorry for your loss of a dear friend. I know there are many still here that started his journey with him and I am sure you will be forever touched by him and grateful for the connection that you made. So glad to see he got that bike he really wanted. 

CC to Anne2020