About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Lung Cancer   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Jun-13 by skythrutrees; 4550 views.
Loreficent

Sep-17

Hi Mike,

Checking in afternoon the storm. You fare ok where you are? Hope all is well! 
Somebody told me rainbows are coming. Let us know you’re doing all right there.

skythrutrees

Sep-18

Hi Lori,

Hurricane Sally formed so quickly that I didn't even realize it was near us. It brushed the coast and brought some heavy rains, but no damage was done. I live in Fort Myers. This has been a brutal year for so many. Hurricanes, fires, and the pandemic. It's so sad.

I'm feeling so much better. I have a PET scan coming up soon and will post the results.

How are you?

Mike

Loreficent

Sep-18

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear you’re feeling well! That’s great news.

Yes...a challenging year for sure. Glad no storm damage. It’s been a rough year here too. The air quality has been in the “Hazardous “ zone for over a week. Smoke so thick you couldn’t see more than a hundred yards at times. I am considering myself very lucky. Several of my colleagues are still evacuated, a few have lost homes, and a dear friend of mine lost her home and barn and some animals. I have one of her dogs for the time being and the other didn’t make it out. We are hoping he may turn up. We have rain now and I haven’t checked the impact today that is having but we are all hopeful. Our air quality is now down to “Unhealthy “. So that’s a big improvement!

Yes, will be sending you good energy and thoughts for that PET Scan. Must be nerve wracking awaiting that. 
Take good care and rest and eat well!

Lore

skythrutrees

Sep-19

Hi Lori,

Sorry for my delay in writing back. My sister lives in Washington State and is exhausted from the smoke. I can't imagine  how terrifying the fires would be.  I can't remember where you live, but it must be somewhere in the West? 

I had to cancel my PET scan last Thursday, but am rescheduling tomorrow. I had a couple days of painful muscle spasms in my back because of overextending myself, and am fine now. When will I ever learn to pace myself! I'm feeling quite normal at this point so I'll be happy to get the results of the scan. 

Best wishes!

Mike

Loreficent

Sep-19

Hi Mike,

Sorry about the spasms. Hopefully it means that you were doing something worthwhile and fun...? Pacing oneself likely has some value, but there’s a chance it’s a bit overrated! My philosophy is generally live life to the absolute fullest, though I guess there is a time for calm and rest too.
Yes, I’m in Portland, OR. It’s been a rough go around here with the smoke, etc, but things are turning around now to some degree. I see actual clouds today! Woohoo! 
Have you been out to visit your sister?

Rest up and heal and get your scan rescheduled.

Talk soon!

justkee

Sep-22

Please tell me what immunotherapy is as I have been diagnosed with cancer in both lungs and will be going through radiation and chemo!

skythrutrees

Sep-22

You may want to joint the American Lung Association Lung Cancer Survivors group, which is an extremely helpful forum. https://www.inspire.com/groups/american-lung-association-lung-cancer-survivors/

Immunotherapy is the infusion of medicine that prompts the immune system to recognize cancer cells and fight them. You could ask your oncologist if the treatment is a viable treatment for you. 

Best wishes.

skythrutrees

Sep-22

Hi Lore,

I hope the situation with both the protests and the fires is easing in Portland. I'm not up to date on how things are going.

I love your philosophy on living life to its fullest! ♥ The temperature is starting to cool down here so I'm going to resume my avocation of taking videos again this week. We have so many natural preserves and the Gulf of Mexico near Fort Myers.  I like both taking videos and the production side as well.

I'm feeling so much better now to the point that I realize how sick I was for several months. My oxygen level and blood pressure are normal again. I live alone and am so grateful to our healthcare system and meals on wheels since I could barely stand to prepare a meal after my discharge from the hospital in late April.

I also really appreciate our conversations! Thank you!

Mike

Loreficent

Sep-22

Hi Mike!

Good to hear from you! Is your PET rescheduled? I was going to check in later this week to see how it went. I actually just looked at a Florida map to see where you are exactly. You’re in the Tropics!  Lol! Definitely further South than I thought. Isn’t it funny how many of us don’t know individual states very well? I think generally we all know where the particular state is, especially Florida as that huge peninsula is such a landmark on the outline of the US, kind of like Michigan. They are also states that stand out for other reasons in this day and age. But many of us don’t know much about states we haven’t traveled to or lived in. Such a big country this Nation is....Anyway, you are pretty close to the Everglades which I dream of coming to one day. Better not wait too long for that trip I figure. I’d really really like to see a Manatee!! Such unusual creatures. 
Fires still rage here. It was clearer this morning but smoky and campfire smelling after the nap I just took. They are making progress on the big ones. Heard the one that was closer to here was 25% contained. I’ve not checked the tally of acreage since I last wrote you. It breaks my heart and, I’m choosing to avoid much of the news right now to preserve my mental well being. Still staying selectively informed, but I just needed a few days to cocoon a bit and keep my balance. I don’t want to lose that philosophy you admire. I owe a great deal of my desire for and appetite for living to my Mother. She was also of the mindset that “most things work out”. I’m a bit more of the mindset that many things work out if we work at them, but there still remains much that eludes our control or ability. The majority of the bad news now, in my opinion, we have a great deal of control and ability to do MUCH better than we are and it brings me sadness. Like the fires. A huge part of the West is ablaze due to our poor stewardship of our Planet. And I am not falling for the “dead trees just explode” theory. We need to get a handle on global warming. You see the effects too where you as well. Protests here had largely dissipated and they certainly took a turn and have an element that I do not see as supportive of the cause any longer. They have been a very small group of folks with a different agenda than the greater and meaningful cause I do believe in and I stopped participating early August. There are some of us working hard to try to stop some things in other ways, peacefully of course, and that work will continue for decades yet I presume. I don’t want to charge this in a political way so will leave it at violence will not work and makes things worse. Portland is not as damaged though as my friends and family in the Midwest and East and in Georgia think it is, and I still feel very safe here and it is still a very beautiful and welcoming city. 
I think it is fantastic that you are having that experience now of realizing how sick you were in hindsight! It means you are way better, right? It’s wonderful you will be out pursuing your passion this week. That is a testament to your good care, yes, but also to You and your inner spirit and perseverance and fight for life! Yay! Another gentleman wrote in another thread about not regretting the smoking anymore but rather embracing the quit. That is definitely paraphrased, but I took that as the meaning and thought it a wonderful philosophy. None of us should waste much time on regret. It is much better to live presently and fully and hopeful.

Take care and keep us posted on that PET! You’ve got support for thousands of miles around you my friend.

• Edited September 22, 2020 7:20 pm  by  Loreficent
skythrutrees

Sep-22

Hi Lore,

You wrote such a wonderful letter! Thanks for the Portland update. I'm selective in reading/watching the news too. 

I've had many challenges in my life. The first was panic disorder that began when I was a junior in college. The disorder was not understood, nor was there treatment available, but I discovered that alcohol would make my symptoms disappear. Then I had two problems. I moved to Brooklyn and worked in Manhattan and handled my anxiety fairly well for a while, though eventually it returned full force. I could not function normally. When I was 34, I moved to Fort Worth, Texas, quit drinking, and had a remission of panic disorder for 5 years until I moved to Florida in 86. I went to a psychiatrist, got hooked on Xanax, quit using it, and finally found a self-help group that helped me tremendously. 

So I got a late start in my working life! When I retired, I wrote a book about my journey. I think that quitting smoking was helped by the fact that I had made it to the other side of other serious problems. I binged watched 200 episodes of "Grey's Anatomy" and researched the anatomy of the lungs, heart, etc. during the early days of my quit!

For five years, I worked for a builder on North Captiva Island, Florida after Hurricane Charlie destroyed much of the island. We built a few LEED approved houses that were very energy efficient. I've been an advocate for renewable energy since that time. It's really awful what D.C. is doing in decimating the EPA. I post on Twitter about climate change. Recently, I became interested in the use of bamboo as a building material,. Though I'm retired, I can still post about it!

I had a similar feeling about the geography of the US so I started memorizing the location of the states and their capitols and got some questions right about the subject on Jeopardy tonight!

RBG is such an inspiration to me both with all she knew and how she lived her life. When she battled three different kinds of cancer including lung cancer, she returned to work as soon as possible. That's how I want to live my life.

Mike