About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Lung Cancer   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Jun-13 by skythrutrees; 6536 views.
skythrutrees

Sep-23

Here's a link explaining exactly what immunotherapy is: https://www.cancerresearch.org/immunotherapy/what-is-immunotherapy

Loreficent

Sep-23

Hi Mike,

Wow, you have had some experiences and adventures! It is wonderful you’ve worked through and overcome so much. Especially the Xanax. It is very admirable to me the folks that have been down that path and turned it around. It truly speaks to digging deeper and finding an intestinal fortitude that so many folks for so many reasons cannot do. That’s not a judgment in any way. I have a sister hooked on the stuff for many years now and have let go trying to help her with it. I would of course still be there for her in any way she needed when she gets to that point. It is similar to smoking. Something has to click to get one to step off the ledge and be courageous enough to quit. Support is there when we do, but, each of us has to take that first step. With benzodiazepines, many never do. So I hope you commend yourself daily on that still. 
Very cool you were involved in building LEED certified buildings!! We have a large grocery store here that used to be a small local chain that has since been bought out by Kroger. Before that, two of their in Portland stores got rebuilt as LEED buildings and that is the only reason I still shop there. I’m not of the belief that big corporations give a rat’s behind about our country or environment so do not go to places like Target and Costco or any of that. Again, no judgement from me on those that do as I also recognize there are increasingly limited options for us here almost anywhere in our country. PDX proper has an overall effort and mindset to be different and stubborn in this way still, and it suits me to live here where those efforts are encouraged and supported. It is not shameful in any way for many of us to shop at used stores for our clothes and bedding and furniture and you name it. For us it isn’t the “cheap” thing to do, but makes sense as the right thing to do.  There is the underlying feeling of fighting a losing battle in these areas for sure but I refuse to give up. I worry daily about my 17 year old getting to be my age for many reasons. 
Watching Jeopardy brings back memories! I might have to that a go soon as it sounds like a decent distraction. 
It is very cool too you’ve written a book. Outside this forum I’ve never written anything in my life other than required University papers and such. I e found that writing here has been a tremendous tool in processing what I used to process and ponder while smoking. Still trying to wrap my mind around how and why it helps so much and works actually. For now I just accept it for the outlet it is and remain grateful for having found this place.

Well, it is hump day and I hope you are out on your bike! Go Mike Go!!

Loreficent

Sep-23

Sorry...forgot to add I share your reflection and sorrow at the loss of RBG. I would suspect that there would be nobody more sad to depart at this point in time than she herself would be though. You are living a very commendable life as well and have worked through and overcome a great deal also. The aspiration to live as she did is a wonderful thing to have! 
RIP, RBG. 

Anne2020

Sep-23

Were is PDX proper?

skythrutrees

Sep-23

Hi Lore,

I rescheduled my PET scan for next Friday! I sent you a private message with my website and email address if you want to message that way too. It's so refreshing to know someone with similar viewpoints!

I have an immunotherapy infusion tomorrow. 

Mike ♥

Loreficent

Sep-23

Hi Anne,

Sorry...PDX is the abbreviation for Portland, Oregon. I forget that folks outside of here may not use that! 
Where are you?

Loreficent

Sep-23

Oh, great! 
Good luck tomorrow. You’ve got this! 

justkee

Sep-24

Thank You So Much,

I will definitely take your advice!

Much Luck To You

skythrutrees

Sep-24

You're welcome. Please keep us updated on your treatments, and I will do the same. Best wishes! Mike

justkee

Sep-26

Started last Wednesday with radiation at 7:30 then straight to chemo for 4-6 hours then back to radiation. So far no adverse side effects. Keeping hydrated and eating lots of protein. Trying to stay positive and active! 

Thanks for your support!