About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Wow - trigger at 9 months   Quit Support

Started Jun-16 by alexisfree; 734 views.
alexisfree

Jun-16

Wow.  Just saw a guy smoking on a zoom meeting and it looked so appealing.  Had to come here to share to get rid of the thought! 

DebraAnne60

Jun-16

That seems like an odd trigger.  Do people smoking on the street or in movies  not have the same trigger.  I guess its the media that you saw it - in a meeting.  Weird how those triggers pop up.   I have read the triggers come up you whole life 

alexisfree

Jun-16

I haven’t had a feeling like that in months!  Guess I haven’t really seen it in movies recently (lots of kids movies lol bc I have littles).  And I don’t watch much tv.  I guess it was just shocking.  I felt almost jealous.  I guess current events have me on edge too.  All good now.  As it passed.  Maybe some self care is in order.  

alexisfree

Jun-17

Thank you for responding :)

DbAnne

Jun-17

I hear that those kinds of sudden out of the blue triggers can occur years after quitting.  It our job to move past them and carry on.  Way to go for hanging in there.  

Cheers

In reply toRe: msg 5
48yrsmokin

Jun-19

Isn't something that these thoughts just appear out of nowhere- I still get them quite frequently lateley they come and they go that quickly. But they are not as compelling as they would have been back in the beginning. It's just a erg to have a smoke.butt guess what I still say NOPE To Them. IT WORKS.                                      Been a NOPER since OCT 17th 2019.                                                                          

In reply toRe: msg 6
48yrsmokin

Jun-19

Oh bye the way thanks for the post. It's good to hear that I'm not the only 1 to have things happening this late in the Fight. 

Congrats on 9 months! Yes those craves come out of nowhere. You are in the 8-11 month period where our brain still send us those thoughts of smoking but you are so right in telling them to take a hike. This will eventually totally fade away during year two. I found by 14 months all those jitters, aches in the stomach, headaches and the pull of the addiction and blue moods totally vanish. So keep going no matter what crap this addiction throws at you. Don't let that nicotine monster voice tease and seduce you back by saying you deserve just one because it's a trap. Nice job, soon you'll be in the one year clubhouse! You definitely are no sissy!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

48yrsmokin

Jun-20

Thanks Debbie and your right.  Be strong or don't try at all. You have told me that for these entire 9 months and it's true. It's in my head to not smoke. I think of all the past times of quitting and I was a weak person. Now I'm NOPE strong. It still has it's place NOPE is a powerfull thing.

Douglas8845

Jun-20

Hey Alex, 

It's not unusual to get strong cravings at the 9-11 month mark.  There is a discussion group on this topic. I know it's a real feeling because I experienced it... but it's not a real physical craving.  Those are long gone.  I think they're the last stand of an addiction and habit we indulged in  for so long.  Stick it out... after the one year mark everything gets so much better.