About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Jeff One month Today   Dots and Stars Milestones

Started Jun-18 by euknight; 283 views.
euknight

Jun-18

Happy Anniversary, Jeff!  5-18-20 One month is a fabulous milestone.  All the ups and downs are a major challenge but you got here.  Congrats to you!  You have been a great support to many on this forum and are a fellow MAY QUITTER so I wanted to be the first to congratulate you.  

You have gotten this far so you can make this one day at a time!!

Have the very best smoke free day!!

Peggy

5-8-20

DbAnne

Jun-18

A star is born - congratulations Jeff on 1 month - well done!!!

Come in! and turn on my Christmas lights! | Stars, Glitter ...

Nope62

Jun-21

Thanks Peggy,

But it is not deserved! I went one month two days, and then lost my quit. I am pretty discouraged this time, as it was my fourth quit this calendar year. I have no excuses! I am going to have a hard time getting my mind back into another quit, but I'm sure I will.

Take Care!

In reply toRe: msg 3
livtoswim

Jun-22

NOPE62

You deserve every day you don't smoke.  I relapsed.  again.  It's not a mark on your character.  Cigarettes are so addictive.  It's easier for life long alcoholics to quit drinking. 

I know.     Keep going keep quitting.  Some folks can quit cold turkey- well not all of us can. Those folks are super amazing I guess.  Some people need help.   Pull up your boot straps, set another date and keep going.  I am with you.  Every day you don't smoke is a good day.  Don't ever ever feel ashamed ok.  Hugs

• Edited June 22, 2020 11:23 am  by  livtoswim
DbAnne

Jun-22

A relapse or a slip is an opportunity to learn.  Figure out why that happened and, regroup, and restart your quit.  Don't stop quitting.  They say that is takes several attempts for most people to quit.  So, keep working on it.  Eventually, it will come together for you.  Maybe this time, maybe the next time, but if you keep at it, you have to win eventually.  Don't quit quitting.

DbAnne

Jun-22

It may be discouraging that you broke your quit but look at what you did, you quit for one month and two days - that's incredible!! Don't underestimate yourself.  You are building up the tools you need to make it permanent every time you try.  One whole month - you have shown yourself that you can do it.  You owe it to yourself to try again.  Regroup your thoughts, get your tools in order, make up your mind and set a new quit date.  Don't quit quitting - you never know how close you are to winning if you give up.  

You can do this!  

• Edited June 22, 2020 11:51 am  by  DbAnne
In reply toRe: msg 5
livtoswim

Jun-22

Hello DB,

My conversation was to NOPE62 but thank you for your post.

Yes,  I have figured out what happened.  I smoked.  Good for you Dbanne.  Your posts are very clear that your quit journey seems to be very successful - I think you said 5 mos.  Congratulations!   Keep working on it.  Your doing very well.  I do believe if you do relapse though that you would get right back on that horse.  Your so strong.  don't stop quitting.  As you say, it takes several attempt or several years to quit.  Keep working on it.  Sometimes that urge for a cigarette will hit.   I don't forget that we always have the bible of the art of quitting by Allen Carr to keep us on track.   One day at a time.  You can do this.

Best

• Edited June 22, 2020 1:54 pm  by  livtoswim
DbAnne

Jun-22

Hello, sorry, Did I mix something up?  If I did, my apologies.      

euknight

Jun-22

,Jeff,  

Yes it was deserved!!  You got a month and 2 days!   That is great.  So did you smoke a bunch?  Are you still smoking?  Everything you learned made you stronger and you are not alone.  Many people had several tries on here before the quit took.

You can call it a slip and not lose your date ya know.  Guess it’s up to you.  I have some thoughts about that.

Tell me, do they smoke in your meetings or hang around after smoking?Was that a part of it for you?  Just wondering what triggered you.  How did it taste?  Did you read some research that flicked the switch?  Too much time on the forum and away from your program? The addict mind is always looking for an excuse.

So you have had a few lapses?  So what. You have learned and can do this if you really don’t want to smoke anymore.  Do not be discouraged!  You have 2 years sobriety.....give yourself the same smoke free!  It always bothered me in AA when you relapsed you have to start your time over.  Over the years I found that people stopped admitting their relapses and I get that.  There is much shame and discouragement in that, like why try at all?  Why tell anybody?  I have just observed this behavior again and again.  Then I notice some come to group high.  We tell others here because they know, have been there, and you don’t have to look them in the eye!  Lol

I know without a doubt this thing is so much like alcohol it’s not funny.  I also personally believe to quit both at the same time is too much.  For me the distorted inebriation and damage to others is worse with alcohol so that has to go first.  You have done that...Hooray!  Now you can do this.  

Praying a smoke free day for you,  Jeff.  Be well

Peggy

5-8-20

Hi Jeff,

I have little to add to what Peggy said so well.

Nicotine addiction is insidious.  No matter how many times someone slips, they learn more about themselves.  Anyway,  to me any day we don't smoke is a good day.  During this last quit your lungs had a significant 'break'.  

One of the worst things when someone has a slip or a relapse is that:

"They think that all is lost and, therefore, that there is no point in trying any longer. It is like the dieter who has that first piece of cake: “I have blown my diet, so I may as well finish the whole darn cake.” Thinking like that only gets you into more trouble. :-) An entire cake is worse than one slice, and a pack of cigarettes is worse than one puff. The second thing that happens after a cigarette, is that smokers tend to feel guilty and depressed. They tend to “beat themselves up.” This makes them feel worse. And remember that one of the big risk factors is negative mood. This leads to an even greater urge to smoke, and then they often keep smoking".

Hope you will jump back in soon.

CC to euknight