About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

One month 15 years ago   Quit Support

Started Jun-23 by CreakyBuddha; 113 views.
CreakyBuddha

Jun-23

At about one month. 

>> Today am thankful for making it through yesterday without cracking. I had that taste in the back of throat all day. You know the one. After you have not had a smoke for a long time, it is there. WTF? I made it. I made it through lunch and dinner and coming back from the grocery store and sitting on the swing and taking a walk and ... it was a long day. I woke up with a smile instead of being pissed off as soon as I opened my eyes this morning. I am thankful for that. I said a prayer this morning and in addition to my usual asking for forgiveness for sins past and future I gave thanks for the strength to get through the bad days. I said thanks for the push to the right side of the fence when I was teetering.

I went to 7-11 for something yesterday and while standing at the register I kept looking down because I did not want to look at the cigarette rack. I could feel that pack o' reds staring at me. I think I have lost my mind. Nicotine is some powerful stuff. It's pull is still there.

I am going to clean up the rest of my little corner of the world today. Last weekend I made quite a mess planting things and moving bushes. I am thankful I can do that kind of work and not be tired and wheezing after a few minutes.

I am just feeling pretty blessed this morning. I feel like something slid off of me overnight. A break in the clouds? I don't know. I am going to go with it though. Days like this, mornings like this, make the bad ones a whole lot easier to deal with. Looking back I guess that is just how it happens. Gradually more good days and less bad days, peaks and valleys. I should know this by now. Though in the middle of a yesterday I wouldn't/didn't allow myself to see that. I am a stubborn type. I hate to fail. Alot of times it is just that that pulls me through. I can go on and on in my head about health, better quality of life, money saved but more often than not it is about me versus "them". I just could not look at myself in the mirror if I failed at this.

Every day like that I make it through makes me a little stronger. Every day like that I make it through gives me more confidence that I can make it through the next bad one.

I am thankful for that bit of strength and confidence I earned yesterday. Tomorrow it might make all the difference

TinyBadger

Jun-23

Congratulations! You give me hope for the future. I haven't ventured to s convenience store yet, I'm so afraid. Even when I buy gas at the pump, I long just to go inside and look. Thank you for sharing, I'm really excited for you.

CreakyBuddha

Jun-23

You are tougher than you think.  You can do it. Stare 'em down. The clerk will think you are crazy.

TinyBadger

Jun-23

I'm sure the clerk will! Especially because the cigarettes are behind them!