About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Emma's journal   Quit Stories and Journals

Started Jul-11 by Em (EmJ88); 963 views.
In reply toRe: msg 3
Em (EmJ88)

Jul-20

Day 1 has felt good. I've felt like I've got a bit more energy and I haven't really had any cravings as such. I've had minor pangs when I've fleetingly thought 'I'll just pop out for a smoke now' and then recalled that I'm a non-smoker, only just a registering of the old habit, not a dwelling on it or craving it. 

I've been looking forward to this day, really glad that I won't be burdened by this addiction anymore. 

In reply toRe: msg 4
Em (EmJ88)

Jul-22

The start of day 3 of this journey, I have been waking up much earlier than usual. I've been using three different apps : smokefree, tobano and smokitten. They have been keeping me busy and motivated in the little times when I might have smoked. One of the apps informed me that the nicotine is out of my body today. I also started to read Allan Carr's book.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Em (EmJ88)

Jul-23

I had 2 rollies on the trot on Sunday evening - I think the first one was a bit of a blur, I guess I was focused on smoking it down and I might have been noticing that the nicotine etc was settling in. The second rolly, I tried to smoke 'mindfully' and notice what was going on for me. This is what I wrote, and it kind of brought back hazy memories of when I first tried smoking - I didn't like the taste then, it was a bit of a challenge to start... I'm glad to have stopped, I'm glad all of this is gone:

What a horrible acrid taste at the back of my mouth and on my tongue
That horrible sticky swell at the back of my mouth that I can't swallow 
That makes me feel like I need a drink
That kind of congested feeling that doesn't go away 
That discomfort from sitting on the cold hard floor
The dirty little butts sitting in the gravel, all soggy and disgusting 
That nasty smell
The smoke in my eyes, up my nose, in my hair, on my clothes

TinyBadger

Jul-24

I think its helpful to have your list of why you are quitting written down, on your app or memorized. When I get a craving, I think about the things you have mentioned. I hated stinking. When I walk by a smoker in the grocery store, they reek. Even with my mask on, they smell so foul. My teeth are starting to look whiter and my gums are bright pink. I'm exercising daily because I can breathe! I'm saving money and my health. Now when I see smokers, I feel sorry for them. I have never met a smoker that didn't wish they could *poof* make their addiction go away. They say that there is nothing worse than an ex-smoker, but I know that's only because we know it's possible. We know the joy and freedom that I'd possible with work and determination. Be determined, my friend. Hold on to a quit and stick around. The people here are ready to help. 

Em (EmJ88)

Jul-29

Good morning Tiny Badger. Thank you for your words and your support. It's such a gift and I really am grateful. I am indeed determined and I am here to focus my mind this morning before my first day back at work since I stopped 10 days ago. I'm saying Nope for today. It's great to hear your positivity and wise words Tiny Badger, you stay determined too mate and have a great day

TinyBadger

Aug-1

How's the quit going? You holding up ok?

Em (EmJ88)

Aug-2

It's going well, thanks so much for asking it's been a little bit triggering being at work, I have had cravings but they passed quickly.

It's like reprogramming: every situation/ place/ person triggers the old programme and a trigger flags up 'you have a cigarette now'.. I am determinedly reprogramming every time this happens ( I have been thinking about triggers and when they will appear in advance so I'm prepared). 

How is your journey going TinyBadger? I hope you enjoy your day today x

TinyBadger

Aug-2

I'm pretty good, better than I've been in a while. I'm on day 53, and the pangs are getting less often. I don't have many more of my little patches left, so we will see how that goes. You're really smart to plan ahead for triggers. Being prepared is a great idea. I think I could've saved myself some pain had I been better at that. You're doing great and it sounds like you're committed to quitting!

Em (EmJ88)

Aug-2

53 days is a good chunk of time, TinyBadger, nicely done! I'm glad the pangs are getting less frequent for you. Are you going to try and have something instead of the patches? Have you tried the NRT chewing gum? X

TinyBadger

Aug-2

Well, I went to a freedom from smoking class (the American lung association puts it on) and the pharmacist there suggested that because I smoked 2 packs a day I should use the patch and lozenges. Im currently on the smallest patch- the 7 mg. I'm also using the smallest lozenges- 2 mg. I only use 2 or 3 lozenges a day, and I've got a ton left. I figure I'll keep the lozenges handy until I run out, then I'll be off all nicotine. Using both does sound like overkill, but it truly has been a lifesaver. Everytime I needed a pick-me-up or a celebration, I smoked. I smoked to wake up in the morning and go to bed at night. I really smoked a lot to deal with stress. I know nrt isn't for everyone, but it's been instrumental in breaking the behavior and triggers for smoking. Now I've had to learn better ways to manage my stress and feelings, and to communicate better to people around me. I feel like I'm changing a lot about me, not just my addiction. You're very brave for writing a journal. I like reading about what you're going through so I don't feel so alone.