About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Leg pain   Quit Support

Started Jul-12 by TinyBadger; 374 views.
TinyBadger

Jul-12

I was just wondering if anyone here had had muscle aches since quitting? I am an avid walker, and admit that I started hitting a bigger hill about a week ago, but...my calves are sore. Sore enough to wake me up from my nap. It's a hard to describe sensation, it's not prickly, just a strong dull ache in the back of both my legs. It came on suddenly, just this afternoon, and I haven't even walked yet today. I looked online and found articles relating to circulatory issues and pain in limbs for smokers, and then there's the smokers flu. Anyone going through this? I'm worried something is wrong. 

Loreficent

Jul-12

Hi Tiny...

Are you getting enough fluids and minerals? That would be my first thought...that and the increase in hills? Sometimes it takes a day or two to feel the soreness of a workout. Did you walk those hills yesterday? 
It seems that it would be a strange time to start since your a month-ish in almost. Maybe it is related to circulation starting to improve?

Drink something with good electrolytes and take some Ibuprofen and maybe a hot epsom salt bath and see if it helps. We all know smoking won’t help it.  
Try not to worry too much about it yet and if it persists for a couple days or you get additional things with it give your Doc a call.

I think you are gonna be fine and am so proud of how well you are doing!! Try the epsom salt bath and relax. Put some lavender in it! Mmm!

TinyBadger

Jul-12

I started the new hill last week, so I'm not sure about that part. I didn't think of dehydration or electrolytes. I do drink a lot of water but it has it has been in the high 80s here. It's just such a weird pain. One I've never felt before. Anyhoo, thanks for the reassurance. I feel like I notice more things and sensations regarding my body now days. 

Loreficent

Jul-12

Yeah...is it both legs? Less worrisome if it is both.

I know what you mean! I am much more aware of physical sensations and sensitivity too!

But yes, lots of water is good, but sometimes if it is just lots of water and no electrolytes you’ll get leg cramps.

TinyBadger

Jul-12

It's mostly the left but a little on the right. Good lord. I should have thought of these things. I just instantly snapped to the quitting instead of water. 

Loreficent

Jul-12

It’s normal and natural to get worried about new pains anywhere when fairly newly quit I think! Just take care of yourself and pamper yourself and go to doc of getting worse or persisting. 
blush

TinyBadger

Jul-13

So the leg pain in my left leg kept me up all night and advil, heat or cold isn't helping so I went to the doctor and am having an ultrasound today. They think it may be a circulatory issue. I'll keep you posted.

Loreficent

Jul-14

I’m very glad you went.
The right leg pain went away? It is good they are checking it out. One leg more worrisome for sure. Let me know...! I’ll be thinking about you and sending you good energy Tiny. 

Lyney

Jul-14

Hi TinyBadger,

Any news on the ultrasound? Hopefully all is ok.

In reply toRe: msg 9
TinyBadger

Jul-14

Well, I just heard back from the urgent care and they said I don't have a clot, which is very good. We like that. It could be a strain or sprain, overdoing it on my walks, or it could actually be a smoking thing. Apparently, smoking makes your veins smaller and tighter. When you quit, even though I'm on 14 mg patches, things move around a little. Your circulation is changing, plus I'm walking s bit more in hot weather. So the bottom line is I'm supposed to pump 800 mg of advil when it hurts, drink lots of water, rest and ice. If it still hurts in the next couple of days I have to see my primary. I'm sure it's fine, but I was really scared. You see, years ago, when I was a smoker I took orthotricyclen for my acne. I started having left leg pain so they pulled me off it, worried I'd get a blood clot. That was why I was so scared, because I've felt a similar pain before. Whew. Crisis averted.