About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Back after a relapse    Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jul-15 by andrewuk1983; 1183 views.
Lubbercat

Jul-24

Anthony

I think using the patches is a great way to quit.  The first time I quit, I quit for 2 1/2 years, and started with the patches.  I feel like when you use the patches, it gives you a little time to break some of the mental addictions first and deal with the physical addiction to the nicotine later.  I know that I always wanted that smoke first thing in the morning and after meals as well as anytime I was driving etc, etc........I have been working through all of that while I am on the patch.  I know that there will be some things that I won't go through while still taking NRT but hopefully by the time I get to those I will be strong enough in my quit to be able to get through those on my own.

Jatchat

Jul-25

Hi Andrew,

Yes I have both losenges and gum as well as patches, I was a 30/day smoker, so I needed NRT, to cut down first and then with support give them up, Don't be reticent about posting on here, the support is wonderful, I am on my second day now quit, I am keeping busy, taking photos in my spare time, I live in Australia but was born  in the UK. We have Amazon in Australia, I have not checked out their prices yet for NRT,

Good luck this weekend if that's been your downfall in the past it sounds like you have plenty of medical reasons to give up, as have I shortness of breath being one of them.

Kind regards

Anthony

Jatchat

Jul-25

Yes my trigger points are early in the morning and late at night after tea, Of course being around smokers is a trigger also, If I see my wife's pack laying around that's another trigger point, But I now counter those thoughts of smoking with a firm NOPE, I know if I have just one it will be like stepping on a roller coaster one after the other, The cancer council did another call back this morning and the guy on there said what is going to motivate you to quit smoking today, and I said I will read my list of 30 reasons for quitting, and he said see which one jumps out of the page and catches your eye and meditate on that. So I read through them and the one that jumped out was to set an example for my wife, children and grandchildren, so I am thinking about them today. Good luck

Kind regards

Anthony

arlcruise

Jul-25

I hate to be blunt or insensitive to your friends, but, what comes to mind to me is "misery loves company". When a couple of people I knew that quit (and stayed quit), I was really bummed with myself for not following suit. Especially as my health was getting worse. I was the reverse and told them they were wise and hoped they would stay quit. At this point in time I am retired and living alone overseas, and I am staying low, avoiding most social contact. Ironic that Covid is an aid. I am trying to avoid any and all potential of being waylaid. Even seeing people smoke makes me uneasy at this point. Keep in mind there are going to be people who will want you to smoke again. It's not necessarily that they are bad, just under the influence of a demon who wants us all back.

andrewuk1983

Jul-26

Hi Marge,

I am sorry to hear about your husband.  I think it's amazing that you are here inspiring and supporting others like me to quit smoking.  I think it will take me some time to be fully successful (I won't be totally confident until 12 months has passed as you say), but the support here is excellent.

Thank you.

andrewuk1983

Jul-26

Thanks Anthony :)

andrewuk1983

Jul-26

I think that's very true.  I know in the past I have encouraged people to (for example) have an alcoholic drink when they're not in the mood, I guess because it's easy to feel better about your own self-destruction if someone else is joining in.

To be honest I'm realising that I need to stop blaming my failings on other people.  Even if a smoker discourages me from smoking, I still sometimes cave in.  Like you, seeing people smoke is a real challenge for me.  I need to be strong enough to get to the stage where I recognise it as the addiction it really is.

arlcruise

Jul-26

Without beating around the bush, yeah, it's going to be up to you . I will share this. It isn't near as bad as I feared. Not even close. There were a few Argh moments when I thought "it's easy to just go to the store and buy a pack, and go for it" But just distract, delay, do something else and before long it's gone. Each day longer is a larger quit muscle, and you really start to feel better health and it is too good to give it up. My biggest fear has always been can you be happy without? I am starting to realize you can actually be happier!

andrewuk1983

Jul-26

I can definitely relate to that.  I've smoked for 17 years - 11 of those smoking a pack a day, and the last 6 years I generally have 4-5 days off and then smoke, usually at weekends.  I honestly smoke out of boredom a lot of the time.  I've done loads of online courses over the last few years as a distraction, but because it can feel like work, I procrastinate and then smoking becomes my 'hobby' (ridiculous I know). 

It is great that you are doing so well and feeling happier without.  Cigarettes are horrible things, really, and my rational brain knows that I think.  I'm trying chewing gum as a replacement (normal stuff not NRT) which is good although I'm going through a ton of the stuff!

slowblumer

Jul-26

Hi andre,

Many thanks for your kind words. 

I will say that I do not think I could have quit smoking without this forum and in particular my own quit group.  

We all want the same thing ...to save / prolong lives by beating nicotine addiction.   We really are stronger together.

Here's a powerful phrase I must have told myself this 10 times a day and had it all throughout my journal.

"If I have just one I will be right back where I started; and where I started was desperately wishing I could be where I am today".