About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

the journey begins   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jul-30 by EliNish; 709 views.
EliNish

Jul-30

Hello everyone. I just joined today.  I am at the very start of living cigarette free.  I'm so scared because I'm realizing all the things that I need to change/transform/let go.  For example, I'm typing this in a space that I commonly smoke in - that will have to change because I want a cig so bad.  What started this is after 40 years of smoking, the doctor has told me I'm in the beginning stage of COPD. That is even scarier. I don't want to keep harming my health - I have a zillion reasons to quit. But oh my goodness, I still crave the cigarettes.  I'm preparing to quit ... but haven't taken the leap yet.  I'll be reading the posts here to get encouragement and ideas on how to make that leap. Thanks for letting me join!

slowblumer

Jul-30

Hi there EilNish,

Welcome.

Having a plan will help you greatly.  The more you know about nicotine addiction the better your chance of success.  Stay with us.

Lubbercat

Jul-30

You are in a great place to get lots of encouragement.  Read lots and post when you are in trouble and post to help others and post just because you can.  When you are having a rough time, keeping your hands busy is always helpful.  I found drinking lots of ice water to be a lot of help and I sucked on sour hard candy and strong mints.  Are you using any NRT?  Good luck

TinyBadger

Jul-30

Welcome! We're here to support you in any way we can. You'll find good people here, ones with lots of experience, lord knows I've quit a thousand times. But I'm making it stick, and you can too! Post an sos if you get desperate, we'll come to your aid. I recommend reading everything you can here, and post a lot! Jump into the pool with us when you're ready and start the beginning of a new life.

arlcruise

Jul-30

Welcome. And I hope the best for you. I was told I had beginning COPD about 5 or 6 years ago, but they said they were not 100% sure. Said it could be scarring from coughing too much. Bottom line is I did not quit. Until a month ago, when things had become much worse. I hope you are wiser. I can tell you stopping was not as bad as I thought, once I was underway. I also was so scared to begin, and worried if I could do it. The health changes are so nice it really is hard to think of going back. Take advice and read articles from the moderators. Research, research and research. Know your enemy, and yourself. Also seek out Joel's aids at whyquit. It is aimed at Cold Turkey but it is incredible insight. And I must say, today, day 34 I had a few woozy desires. Do not know why, but I am so happy to be able to step back, go "oh my! no no no"... And then things are good again. 

• Edited July 30, 2020 3:40 pm  by  arlcruise
Nope62

Jul-31

Hi!

Welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of helpful advice and support here. Read everything you can. The more you know about nicotine addiction the more you will understand what is happening to you as you are going to the process. Don't fear it! You are doing the very best think you can do for your health. By quitting now you can breath easier in the future. I know form experience!

Decide how you are going to quit.

Pick a quit date and stick to it.

Make a list of the reasons that you are quitting. Keep that list with you at all times. Read it when/if you feel yourself weakening. It takes resolve and commitment to quit smoking and then stay quit. I know, I'm on my sixth quit this year alone. But it doesn't have to be that way for you! You can do this!

Take Care!

alreadysick

Jul-31

Did your doctor tell you about the emphysema from listening to your lungs? If so, emphysema can only be properly diagnosed with a lung CT scan and/or a spirometer test. I had a lung CT after 46 years of smoking. I have mild centrilobular emphysema. I'm happy to say that after one year of being quit my emphysema has not progressed. Ask your doctor to order the CT scan for you so you can find out just what stage of emphysema you have. Knowlege can help you with your quit!

EliNish

Jul-31

Hi Marge! Thank you soo much - I was going to start looking on the internet for quit-smoking tools like this! You've saved me the trouble. So grateful.

EliNish

Jul-31

I had to think for a moment what NRT is - then I figured it out! I am open to it. Right now, on Day 3, I'm vaping. I know that's not the best option, but for now I'm taking a harm reduction approach. I've ordered those "harmless" cigs I see on the internet - when they arrive I will try an NRT product - probably the gum or the spray and not the patch. I tried the patch years ago and I had so much trouble with upset stomach and really freaky dreams that it discouraged me from using it.  So my plan is to use the "fake" pacifier cigs (haha - just a term I am using) and an NRT.  Thanks for the encouragement!

EliNish

Jul-31

wise words for inspiration - thank you! I'll be sure to read/research as much as I can.