About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First day as an Ex-Smoker   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Aug-14 by LilianS; 530 views.
LilianS

Aug-14

Hello everyone here, I hope everyone is doing great. My name is Lilian and I'm glad to have found this community. I started smoking at 19 years... for 5 years I never even thought of quitting but for the past 3 years I struggled a lot to quit smoking from reading Allen Carr's books and I'll stay a week or few days without smoking then I'd fall into it again... I began losing hope and I wanted to settle that I will be a smoker for life because I was tired of struggling and always disappointing myself, then I came across the verywellmind website which led me to this amazing community. I have been reading and preparing myself with everything I will need and yesterday night I smoked my last cigarette and I'm determined to keep it like that. I used to smoke 3 cigarettes daily and days, when I consider I have smoked many cigs, is 5-6.

I would like to ask what should I do because those 3 cigarettes I always smoked them after I'm done eating... it's like food is my trigger. 

TinyBadger

Aug-14

Hi there and welcome! Eating is a big trigger for me so here's what I do: immediately after eating I get up and do the dishes. If there aren't many to do, I get out of the kitchen and pick out my clothes for the next day or go for a walk. I also put in a candy or an nrt lozenge or brush my teeth. I feel the key is to immediately replace that behavior with something else, that way you aren't sitting around yearning. Hope that helps and I'm glad to meet you and hope to hear more from you! 

godaMarcele

Aug-14

Yay, welcome. I'm new here as well, just quit smoking - on my day 7 today, happy that cravings comparing with the start of the week are way, way less. For me cravings after food passed very quickly - I think after a couple of meals. I just try to enjoy the taste, the smell, and the feeling after food. Somehow after a couple of times, you do not need cigarettes anymore. 

Though, yes, this journey is interesting and full of temptations, but so rewarding when you manage to overcome that evil voice in your head. Let me know how are you doing!

LilianS

Aug-15

Thank you for those tips... I will go with brushing my teeth immediately after eating! Thank you so much

LilianS

Aug-15

That’s amazing you’re on your 7 day! Still struggling in my end but I know it’s a slow process so I give myself time

Molly010

Aug-15

Hey Lilian,

We all start on day 1 and while the thought of quitting can be overwhelming, just keep going.  Take it one day at a time and do whatever works for you.  There is a thread for those quitting in August that gives some great tips on things you can do to pass cravings.  Drink ice water through a straw, (worked for me), take a walk, post on this forum, read the articles, cry, scream, whatever you have to do not to smoke.

Congratulations on your quit.  I promise you will enjoy life without cigarettes!  I love being a non-smoker.  It is not an easy road, but well worth it.  Good luck to you! 

xvaper

Aug-16

Hi Lillian, I'm on day 47 and I never thought I would make it a day. I have many triggers but I try to take it a day at a time. One thing that really helps me except distracting myself is waiting. The cravings really do subside after a few minutes, sometimes more. I tell myself, ok, wait another minute. And another, and then I realize it stoped. I also thought, how will I do this or that without smoking, but don't think or project too much a bout the future, just concentrate on the here and now.

LilianS

Aug-17

Thank you Molly for the encouraging words, can’t lie it’s still tough and I sometimes feel empty... but as you said “taking it one day at a time” and this was something I got used to doing for many years I can’t shake it off in few days

In reply toRe: msg 7
LilianS

Aug-17

Hello! This gives me courage... I will definitely start to count minutes and see how long my cravings take, this is going to be helpful. Congratulations on your days... I want to get there too

xvaper

Aug-17

You totally can!