About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ready To Quit But Scared!   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Sep-7 by justkee; 1555 views.
justkee

Sep-7

I am ready to quit but scared of yet another failure! I have COPD and was just diagnosed with lung cancer in both lungs. Starting radiation and chemo! Why do I still want to smoke??? Quit day is set for Wednesday. Any help and encouragement is appreciated.

• Edited September 7, 2020 8:56 am  by  justkee

I'm so glad you found our forum to guide you through The Quit. I'm so sorry you are suffering from COPD and lung cancer? We have had many cancer sufferers on this site who have successfully remained quit so don't despair. 

Also, Don't be scared of quitting or failing as this truly is a very wicked tough Drug Addiction. We made our brain and body work overtime by smoking those poisonous cigarettes. When we quit the shock to our brain and body can be overwhelming for the first few weeks but, don't be afraid and just keeping going hour by hour, day by day one crave at a time. You can live without cigarettes like all of us are doing. 

First start reading everything on this site as all the threads have inspiring stories and will give you an idea of how we all felt during the first few days, weeks, months and years. 

The moderators will send you information and tips and all of us will post words of support to keep you engaged in your quit. Try to keep a No Fear attitude when it comes to this nicotine monster. You can put cigarettes in the past where they belong! Keep happy thoughts and a positive mental mindset as life truly is better as a quitter. relaxed

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

TinyBadger

Sep-7

Hi there and welcome! I'm sorry about your diagnosis but it's still a great Idea to quit. There are a lot of articles to read here and many people here who are ready to offer support. Being unwell is stressful and you are an addict, so it seems like it would be normal to want to smoke right now. Not to worry, Wednesday will be a new day for you! Get together a toolkit with some straws, hard candy, sudoku, healthy veggies and maybe a hobby like crochet. Post away when you are feeling iffy. How long have you smoked? Will you be using nrt? Do you live with smokers? Don't feel obligated to answer my questions, I was just wondering. Take care. 

justkee

Sep-12

Thanks for your reply! I live by myself. Drs don't want me using nrt. I start chemo and radiation in two weeks. A long hard road ahead of me but staying positive. Going to see an addiction therapist next week because I just can't quit on my own. I had almost quit before Covid hit. I can do it again.

justkee

Sep-12

Thanks so much for your support! And words of wisdom. I have tried everything in the past to quit and failed. Now it is a life or death situation. Wish Covid was not an issue.

Thanks Again

justkee

Sep-13

Thanks so much for your support! I still haven't tried to quit but I KNOW I have to. Next week before I start chemo and radiation will be my goal!

Awesome! You have to change your mindset to I Can Do This Proudly! You have a goal now so do whatever you need to help you get through the tough months. Since you are starting chemo, chances are you wont feel like smoking anyways. I wish you strength and tenacity to get through those treatments and your goal to end your drug addiction as cigarettes truly are poison and your body doesn't need any extra stuff to clear out of your body. Please let us know how you are doing during your cancer journey as many others can benefit from what you are experiencing. You will definitely inspire others to quit smoking too. Good luck blush

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept 27, 2013

Anne2020

Sep-14

It's an emotional crutch - that's why you still want to smoke.  You might even want to smoke through Chemo because you have integrated into your being that smoking is how you deal with things.   Try to see it from a different point of view.  First, if you can get off the smokes, you will have more health to fight the cancer and deal with the side effects of chemo and radiation.  Second, find something else to replace it like comfort food (you will need to keep a full diet to deal with the treatments).  Then realize that even now, you could add a couple of years to your life.  

A note on cold turkey quitting - it is much easier than most think.  I a few days of minor discomforts and your done.  Seriously!  It is only as difficult as you set your mind to thing it is.  I decided it was a blessing, I didn't mind one little bit and found almost no discomfort or difficulty quitting cold turkey and I have smoked for many years.  A bit of an adjustment to your thinking will go a long way in helping you through quitting smoking.

Stay connected to the people on this forum.  The support you will get with this group will lift you through this trying time.  You are not alone.  We are with you all the way.

Best regards.

justkee

Sep-18

Thanks so much for your words of support! I just got home from the hospital having a port put in for chemotherapy. The first thing I did when I got home was smoke a cigarette. You are completely right. I have to change my mindset. I am reading as much as I can to help me do that.

Thanks Again

Anne2020

Sep-18

I can understand why you would think "what's the point at this stage" and/or "I have enough to deal with, why would I add quitting smoking to the mix".  I might well think the same things but, you have to grasp hold of any and all of the healthful strength you can give your body to get through what is coming your way.  Even after one day of not smoking, your body is better.  Imagine how much better your body will be after a week, a month and a year quite.  Time passes quickly - more quickly than we realize - when we do not pay attention to every minute.  Forget about smoking and move on to good food,  good drinks and happy relationships - smelling the flowers, painting a picture or whatever else floats your boat.  Use your time to pleasure yourself and the people you love with the good things in life and forget about wasting your time with smoking.   

Think about what makes you smile.  What's your favourite fragrance and why?