About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First attempt to really quit - With current Depression and GAD diagnose   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Sep-8 by Hope1989; 538 views.
Hope1989

Sep-8

Hi everyone,

So, I  won't write my life story here but I'll try to go straight to the point. I have been a smoker since I'm around 16,17. I'm already 31 years old. Now I am a heavy smoker and chan smoker (i have been for around three years). 

As a result of different life circumstances in the past year (especially 2020, thanks to COVID and ex-GF for dumping me), I fell into a clinical depression and horrible anxiety. It has been crippling and affected me deeply. Most of the day I barely survive the depression and anxiety. But it will be fine. 

One of the things in my recovery for these mental health issues that have actually helped is exercising. It has gone from a nice thing that might help to a MUST EXERCISE. 

I guess by now you'll realize that while my intentions in working out are beautiful, my physical endurance and lungs don't respond as I want. 

The pickle for me comes in the following: I need to exercise and for that, I need to quit (I started around 10 hours ago, which is a lot for me without smoking), but I also know that this might bring big stress and contribute to my already very crippling anxiety.

Yesterday when I bought the Nicotine Patches I started automatically a huge panic and spent an awful day.

I am not sure if someone relates, but I am open to suggestions :) I really want to do this. For me.

Loreficent

Sep-8

Hi Hope!

Im pretty sure there are many here who relate, maybe all. Quitting smoking in itself is an anxiety inducing endeavor. There is a ton of science looking at the addiction aspect from many angles. First thing for you to do is recognize it for the addiction it is and not just bad habit. I mean really recognize that part. Get to know your addict voice and the plots and ploys it makes and the toll it takes on your psyche overall. There is no inherent need to smoke. We trained ourselves to cope with many parts of emotional regulation by smoking. It is going to take time to undo this. But...like the rest of us, you’ve got as much time as you’ve got! The time will go by either way. Craves will come frequently at first, so expect them. The tough to ride out part is generally only a few minutes. There are days when they will turn right around and come back in short time too. That’s ok. You can’t stop them. Like everything else in life, it is about 10% what’s thrown at us and 90% how we deal with it. One thing that helped me was realizing there was only ONE thing that mattered with how I handled (and still handle) craves and that is DON’T SMOKE. Give yourself permission to do anything else it takes (within reason: no physically hurting people and no hurting animals allowed!) to ride the crave wave. Run, walk, dance, sing, shower, cry, watch YouTube, eat a crunchy healthy snack, wash your hands, do the dishes, talk to yourself out loud, scream, punch a pillow, whistle, brush your hair, etc., etc, on and on. Maybe make a list of things to do instead on one of them. 
This will take work, sweat, energy, effort, and mental and intestinal fortitude. And it is so doable! Look on this Forum at the index on the left. At the top make sure you click the grey box right under “Discussions” and set it to all. This opens up all of the tabs. Scroll down and go to “Quit Journals”. There is great stuff there to read to inspire you. At the bottom is the Library tab. I recommend reading all of the articles there from “Very Well Mind”. Once you open one there are links to others at the bottom. 
If you get really pressed and feel like you will cave, open the “Quit Support” Tab and post a new message with “SOS” in the subject line. Promise yourself you will wait for 3 replies. Read while waiting and that will help pass the crave. 
There is a friendly, supportive, and strong Community here just waiting to lend you a hand on this journey. Welcome aboard!!!

Forgot to say go to the September New Quitters Tab and there are instructions the first couple of pages how to use the Forum. It took me a tad to get used to and I still will nuke the occasional post. Post there too so you can connect with others that have made the decision for better health this month. It is always helpful to have folks right with you that are first quit, though we are all here for each other. Read all of the posts from folks several years out. I’m sure Debbie will jump in here and encourage you. She is a Force of Inspiration for sure. Stay close to here and you will do this! 10 hours is a great start and shows you already are doing it!

• Edited September 8, 2020 4:39 pm  by  Loreficent
TinyBadger

Sep-8

I too struggle with anxiety and depression. I do take medications and see a therapist. Exercise has been very helpful for my mental and physical health. I was sure that when I quit smoking (with patches) that my anxiety would be through the roof, but it wasn't. I actually felt more calm without smoking. Now don't get me wrong, I was still anxious when a crave hit, and I felt like I was going to die without one, but once that craving was over I felt more confident and composed than I had felt in a long time. I admit that there were a few times that I snuggled in my bed and cried, but it's so worth it. I know I'm a stranger, but trust me, you will never regret quitting. Now my anxiety and depression didn't just go away when I quit, so please don't interpret what I'm saying that way. I believe that with healthy choices you can have a good life. I know it's scary, but loreficent is right. Do whatever you have to do to not smoke. A lot of people here use straws and I've found that helpful. Kinda like smoking, but not. I highly recommend ice water with those. Posting here has been really helpful, too. Take heart, there are other people here that are going through something similar to you. You are not alone. Promise. Post often, we are rooting for you.

Jia (Jav22)

Sep-16

Hello Tiny Badger,

You are certainly not alone.there are many of us quitting.Its a nasty addiction that keeps you chained.No one has the ability to overcome it but you,yourself.I am so proud of you for taking this step,just don't give up on yourself

TinyBadger

Sep-16

Well, thanks! I'm just rolling along, doing pretty well if I do say so myself. I'm not going to quit quitting! 

Eve1973

Sep-16

You better not! Lol, you are doing well! In your Nope Pledge you said having a tough time, anything particular? 

TinyBadger

Sep-16

Well, work has been a little stressful and I'm having a bout of insomnia. My husband has to read to me with his low, soft voice (so cute) to put me down and it takes over a half hour. I haven't had a lozenge in a while and I really want one but I know I need to get off of them, at least according to the package directions. Plus, it was making my gums hurt and inflamed. Then you've got this covid thing and what's going on in the world. Really brings a gal down. I'm staying strong but the other day I was super close to buying some. So I went to the local bakery and got my husband and I each a bagel and we ate together. I've been running late to work so I've been driving instead of walking and that gives me opportunity to go to the store. I dunno, just the day 98 blahs? I hope this passes soon because I'm losing some of my perk and motivation.

Msg 6163.8 deleted
Eve1973

Sep-16

Oh you got the smoking/Covid blues.......yep totally went through that. I think mine was mixed in with being constantly exhausted. Never had the insomnia problem (now I will get it). But honestly I have been in your shoes! I swear it’s all psychological. Meaning thats what I think. Last couple of days just been thinking about it, and that annoys me. I’m thinking “Will I ever have peace?” Then today someone at work asked to bum a smoke......happy to say No.  Then preceded to tell her how I’m 7 months and so happy to be quit.....told her about this site etc......And really realized for the 1st time how I am Truly HAPPY. She was talking about how she had to plan when she could smoke.....remember that? It was exhausting just listening to what we used to HAVE TO DO. We don’t now. 

So Tiny, I know you probably don’t want to hear, but it does go away. Just ride it out...... I know you are numerous months in, I forget exactly how long, but you do not WANT TO GO BACK! 

I don’t know if maybe if you walk after work, if that will help tire you out. I will just say for me this has been a roller coaster of feelings, energy, exhaustion, and plain BLAH! Remember in life we probably had these feelings and issues before we quit, but maybe didn’t pay attention enough, because we had cigarettes to distract us.......hmmm .... maybe true. I thought of that as I wrote you. 

Anyway I hoped I helped you somewhat! Hugs!

TinyBadger

Sep-16

Well I hope this goes away. I've been having an urge here or there, but the last couple days they were intense. We walk to and from work and then we walk the dogs just shy of three miles at night, according to my watchy fancer thing. I haven't the last few nights because I've had to work late but maybe I need to make that a priority. I have got to get some sleep. I know that I don't ever want to go back to smoking. It's not the smoking I fantasize about, it's the first deep inhale. That's what pricks my ears. I know it will taste awful and stink and I'll be disappointed in myself. I do not want to smoke and I've come too far to give in, but this tiny voice does the just one junkie talk. That's what it is, junkie talk and I know that. It just nags and wears on me. I guess I'm just whiny today. I'm tired and grumpy and I had two doughnuts for lunch and I'm telling myself to cut me some slack because this quitting thing is hard.