About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 3 of Quitting after 10 Years   Quit Support

Started Sep-21 by mimix015; 442 views.
mimix015

Sep-21

Hi there! I've been smoking cigarettes for 10 years and decided to quit! I am on day 3 & the nicotine withdrawal has started to kick in. I am currently using Nicoderm patches & I've been trying to keep myself as busy as I can but today is really hard :( I have anxiety and smoking was my go to to relieve any feeling of emotional discomfort and now that I don't have that, I'm panicking! I would love some encouragement to keep me motivated, thank you so much!

Panic seems to be a big thing with quitting but we all have to go through the tough first three months till our routine becomes automatic. By day three your nicotine blood levels have depleted so just like a hard core drug user you are now going through some very wicked tough withdrawal symptoms. Do lots of deep breathing to calm yourself. Go for a quick walk around the block or do other things to distract yourself. Drink ice water too as it really helps flush out all the toxic poisons from all those cigarettes. Your brain will eventually fix everything and it does it as we sleep. Your brain will rewire as long as you just don't smoke. Start reading the articles in the September 2020 thread as the moderators have many articles that will help explain the process. This is a long slow journey to freedom. This drug addiction is wicked but you can stay quit like so many others have. Keep taking it One Day At A Time until staying quit is your automatic response. You'll get plenty of support from other quitters and it's important to remember that you are not alone in your goal. Helping support each other really does work. I wish you the very best of luck.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

TinyBadger

Sep-21

You're doing a great job! I used to panic. I felt my chest get tight and my throat would hurt, and I thought I would die if I didn't have one. Total freak out, I tell you. It gets better, I promise. As days go by you'll think about it less and less. You're going strong and rocking this thing. Be persistent and committed, you're going to quit for good! I believe in you.

mimix015

Sep-21

wow, thank you so much! I appreciate your support & encouragement! I'll take it One Day At A Time :)

mimix015

Sep-21

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT! It means so much to me! :)

Loreficent

Sep-22

Hey there!

So you are through the first icky three days! Yay! There are a lot of good articles here in the Library tab. Lots of water, and nap if you are able. Be easy on yourself and know that it will pass. Anxiety is definitely a bugger and initially doesn’t make it easier to quit for sure. I really believe though you will find before you know it that your anxiety will be a tad better with not smoking. Exercise will help a ton too! I know you are maybe tired of hearing that or reading it, but there are reasons some things are redundant; they have truth to them. Of course some things are just redundant and pure idiocy too! Lol!

Anyway, welcome aboard! You will find good support and encouragement here and I’m happy you found us!

JoelJose

Sep-22

Hi, congratulations on your decision to quit.Last day i also decided to quit smoking since 1 year.Seems like we are in the icky 3's now.For me drinking cold water while craving worked wonders as the experts here told me so.and always believe in yourself and never give up on your NOPE (No one puff ever) pledge.its gonna work..trust the process and believe in yourself.All the best and lets complete this journey together.

mimix015

Sep-26

thank you so much for your encouragement :)

mimix015

Sep-26

i appreciate you! i wont give up :)