About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

6th day of quitting   Quit Support

Started Sep-27 by JoelJose; 1069 views.
JoelJose

Sep-27

Hi everyone, its my 6 th day of quitting.its a hard battle these days.i need some advice from you.

Loreficent

Sep-27

Just get through today Joel. One day at a time. If you think too far ahead it feels insurmountable. It isn’t though. Just stay in the moment and be easy on yourself and breath one deep breath at a time. You are almost through the hardest week. Don’t give up now. You will only be back where you started. Just keep looking forwards!

JoelJose

Sep-27

Hi Lore, its a wonderful advice..i really appreciate that..and i dont want to go back to that desperate past..thanks for the motivation and support.

Lots of love

Loreficent

Sep-30

Didn’t want to barge in other conversation but wanted to tell you that one doesn’t have to be experienced to be kind and supportive and it is good to see you offering that. The world could use a lot of this. Hope your quit is going well Joel. 

JoelJose

Sep-30

Thanks Lore, you are right.it doesnt need experience to be kind and supportive.But how important is experience actually when it comes to smoking cessation? Is it more difficult for a lifelong smoker to quit the addiction? If so, i should remain silent with them as i have never been in their shoes and i am just a 1 year smoker and a quitter who just started this wonderful journey.

And yes..its my 9th day of quit.its getting easier day by day.i am very happy now.its my best decision in life to not smoke again, ever..i need your continuous support  as i  break the chains of this nicotine monster..thanks Lore

Loreficent

Oct-3

Hi Joel

You ask a good question about if it is different for a person who smoked many years opposed to someone who only smoked one. I don’t know. I do know that it doesn’t take long to become addicted. For some people with this and other things maybe even just using it once and they are hooked. I think the important thing is acceptance of being an addict and confronting it and overcoming it just like you are. You are doing very well so don’t give up. I do know that if you go back you will regret it and you are at a point where you should just keep going the direction that you are and that is AWAY from smoking! It will definitely get better as you keep going. You will still have hard days for quite some time, so just acknowledge them and keep going. You can do this. One day at a time.

JoelJose

Oct-4

Hi Lore, you are right. The addiction is pretty fast and i was able to realize i am really addicted only on my first quit attempt that was short lived for just 3 days and on 4th day the nicotine monster took me down. The second time i quit, i went all the way till the 22nd day. On the 23rd day, monster tricked me in a different way as he kept on telling me as i went this far, i am not addicted and having just one puff is not gonna relapse.In my experience, i believe that is the greatest trick the monster can do to you.But this time, i am much more educated and commited. I realize its no fun messing with cigarettes knowing how harmful and deceiving  they can be.

Its my 12 th day of quit. Needless to say, i really enjoy these days as a nonsmoker than those pathetic days wanting a cigarette just now and then. And in the end, its happiness and peace of mind that matters the most and for me, happiness is being a non smoker.

Thankyou Lore for your valuable support. Its helping me a lot. I know i am still in the battlefield and i have a long way to go. Therefore, as you said.. Its One Day at a time.

Loreficent

Oct-4

Yes, you are almost done with second hard week! Yay! Are you reading the articles in the library on here? They will help too. Sometimes it is one minute at a time, but those add up to days. Just keep going. Only way is through it.

JoelJose

Oct-4

Yes Lore, do you mean the quit support discussions? The wierd fact is everyone has their on ways of fighting the battle. The ultimate aim is to be a nonsmoker. Does that mean do we need to develop a sacrificing mentality towards smoking? After proper education and understanding, the entire question of craving for a smoke is out of the picture.

Loreficent

Oct-4

Well, I didn’t find a sacrificing mentality helpful. The physical benefits of not smoking were so quickly apparent for me they outweighed the sacrifice part quite well. Like Debbie I threw myself into physical activity and embraced the good feelings of that. Still do. The emotional side of smoking was built over many years though and maybe that is where the time spent doing can make it more difficult, but who is to say what something is for someone else? So it takes time to relearn how to deal with some things emotionally or mentally but those things are a pain whether we smoke or not! Lol!

Forgot to ask Joel...where are you? That sky picture is lovely.