About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 5 - foggy    Quit Support

Started Oct-7 by Jaka38; 430 views.
Jaka38

Oct-7

Hi there. This is my 5th day without smoke. I feel better, it's a bit easier than before with occasional strong cravings coming out of nowhere. I drink cold water than. My mind is still pretty dull, finding really hard to concentrate etc. It's hard to adjust after all those years of smoking. Everytime I think of situation related to smoking, craving arises along with some thoughts about how great that was or what am I missing... I try to talk that through or rationalise: that's your junkie mind talking. Doesn't work all the time though.

Yesterday evening I actually had really great feeling about quitting: I was genuinely happy that I quit smoking. It was actually a bit too ecstatic but still, very pleasant experience.

In reply toRe: msg 1

Another thing Allen Carr's book pointed out - when you see Smokers  puffing away pity them because they are addicted and you are free. Be proud of your ability to stay quit. This is such a monumental achievement and you will forever be grateful to get through the entire first year. 

Smoking cigarettes isn't a pretty sight and just watching older people smoking is even a more disgusting image. Our lungs were meant to filter the air that goes directly into our bloodstream - not poisonous chemicals on an hourly or nonstop basis. On top of that our brain had to rewire and made sure a steady nicotine level got maintained and it all became routine.  Now to undo the damage we must never shove another cigarette in our mouths and let time, patience,  commitment and just plain stubborn determination bring us to a new improved lifestyle where cigarettes no longer rule. 

Always think of taking this One Day At A Time as that missing something feeling is also part of the withdrawal and eventually will fade away over time. Just keep saying no way no how I'm never smoking ever again. Protect your quit like you would a tiny puppy or a tiny baby and don't let anything or anyone sabotage your quit. Be proud every time you get through another day smoke free. relaxed

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Jaka38

Oct-7

Thanks for your very inspiring answer. It's rather difficult to change whole mindset at once. Step by step and day by day as you mentioned it. I hope it'll get easier sweat

In reply toRe: msg 1
Anne2020

Oct-7

Doing great Jaka28, keep up the great work!  One of the best parts of quitting is the pride and perosnal sense of achievement.  You love yourself again.  

Cheers!

Jaka38

Oct-7

Thanks blush Today I could just eat sugar all day. It's hard not too...

In reply toRe: msg 5
Anne2020

Oct-7

I know what you mean.  Chocolate covered raisins was a favorite of mine.  Then I switched to salty caramels.  Now I am on chips but I am starting to eat better meals  - more fruits and veggies.  You are doing great - and it only gets better.  Well done!

Jaka38

Oct-9

Thanks How long are you without? Did you do it with or without nicotine supplements? 

Yeah, I eat healthy food as well... I read somewhere here I suppose that craving for cigarettes and craving for junk food, sugar,... have similar origins in mind. And when one eats sugar actually magnifies cravings. But sometimes it's just impossible...

Elzbieta

Oct-9

It sounds strong convincing:

"Our lungs were created to filter the air!"