About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 11 - losing my mind    Quit Support

Started Oct-13 by Jaka38; 5394 views.
Jaka38

Oct-13

This really is rollercoaster. I'm experiencing quite the opposite compared to yesterday's optimism. Restlessness and anxiety since I woke up. I tried to do some work done since I was procrastinating from the beginning of my quit. That didn't go very well. I was too restless to sit. Decided to go for a walk. Did that. Walking for two hours or more, don't remember. Didn't help much. After meal sleepiness kicked in and I give up. Was sleeping till now. I'm full of anxiety, worries, feeling guilt etc. In between thoughts of smoking pops in: see, just have one and all that is going away. Something similar. OMG I think I'm losing my mind. I have this awful feeling that this is not going away for a long time, that I'm in some kind of trap and it's going to be even worst... Please someone tell me that isn't the case. 

Anne2020

Oct-13

It is not the case.  This too shall pass.  Your body is healing.  Have you tried meditation?  How about humming or singing?  Perhaps its time for a punch out with the pillow.  Go for another walk?  You will get through this and be so much better for it.   Your body is healing.  Food and drink can help - exercise, hot both, cold shower - any distractions, all distractions.  Your body is telling you you are winning - absorb the good news and soldier on.    T

We are with you  - cheers

Hang in there!! Yup you've got those anxiety provoking jitters! And it totally sucks!! 

But -- as Anne says do things to distract yourself through the toughest parts of the cravings. I really did punch pillows, did jumping jacks and high knee running in place exercises when my nerves got on edge. At times I looked like a lunatic jumping around the house.

Try to analyze your craves and see that there is a pattern to them. Week by week the strength of the craves and the amount of cravings do dwindle a little but it takes months till we adapt to the routine of outsmarting our Want of those cigarettes. We may Want them but we don't Need them. Our brain is working overtime right now and your thoughts and emotions go into overdrive too. But this will eventually calm down as long as you don't smoke.

I know you'll be hanging on by your fingernails at times and you'll have temper tantrums like a two year old but just stay very busy and distract yourself with other worthwhile things. Filling the time we spent smoking is hard as most smokers spend 2-3 hrs daily smoking. That missing something feeling sucks too but that too will fade away by a year. Sticking it through the entire first year is a battle but all I can say is that if I could finally do it so can you. We hear your pain but just do whatever you need to do to just not smoke and keep taking this one day at a time. Keep posting and be proud every time you get through another day.

"Quittimg isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Jaka38

Oct-13

Thanks for that. I just need to put all out. I've been talking to my wife about it and my sister as well. It's great to receive support to beat this awful addiction. I've been meditating for years actuality. But I'm off the track lately due to restlessness. I know I'll be back when this subsides. 

When you said "body is healing", what do you mean exactly? In a sense of nicotine withdrawal and it's symptoms?

You're post made me laugh so thanks again. I'm doing everything I can and will continue to do so. I'm so tried od smoking and quitting endless cycle. Enough is enough.

DanJF3

Oct-13

I think I can speak for everyone here in saying we are proud of you for hanging on during these extreme up and down times at the start of the non-smoking journey!  Keep posting and talking to those around you, it's amazing what support does and it made the whole difference for me being successful in my quit this time where I failed so often in the past.

At some point, hopefully soon, the negatives will lessen and the positives will come forward.  You should be noticing soon if you haven't already that you can breathe better, you will sleep better, you will have more energy and less stress.  Those are some positives that will help keep you going.  You're doing a lot of good things there by posting and meditating and getting support from loved ones so you are definitely not alone.  Sometimes it's as simple as taking things one minute at a time but yes, keep busy and whatever you do, don't smoke or then you have to face the decision of just continuing to smoke and accepting all the negatives it brings or having to go through this all again.  Hang in there!

Anne2020

Oct-13

Your body is healing from all the smoking you have done over the years.  Every day, week, month and year off cigarettes, your body heals more and more.  It takes some body parts/functions just hours to heal and others weeks, months and even years. 

The withdrawals or cravings will subside  - sometimes quickly, sometimes it takes a bit more effort/time to get past them, but they become less and less frequent.  I noticed a very quick reduction in the frequency and veracity of cravings over just a few weeks. 

Then I would get hit out of the blue with a tsunami crave.  The tsunami crave took some effort to resist.  I had to use all my distraction techniques to ride that wave.  Once I got past the tsunami crave (5 to 10 minutes of effort), the cravings would disappear for noticeably longer periods (weeks without any) to the point of no cravings at all by the end of four months.  

I have been quite now for 9 months plus (cold turkey) and never have any cravings or thoughts of smoking at all.  

I found mindfulness meditation helpful.

Cheers on your success so far.  Well done.  Keep it going and you will soon turn that corner into the blissful release from the grasp of a smoking addiction.

• Edited October 13, 2020 12:20 pm  by  Anne2020
Loreficent

Oct-13

Good morning Jaka!

Almost dinner time for you. Sounds like a rough day. But, you know, this ok. It’s just a day that will pass. There will be many many more soon that will far outweigh the burden this one has been and they are coming soon. This snippet in time will be a memory of triumph or defeat and all you must do is choose. Breathe deeply. Don’t struggle. Now I know you are a meditator and you know how to do this. After dinner you find a space for a few moments, perhaps while walking and connect with your wise self in there and just be. 
You are not alone and you chose wisely to write about the struggle and have support. That fix you are romanticizing is very temporary and with it comes way more struggle than you feel now riding this wave. No need to tug of war with the addict. Wave, acknowledge, and carry on. We all know this feeling of weariness that continues when we give in and find ourselves yet again disappointed and tired of the cycle. The way out is through it. Just walk through it. 

Jaka38

Oct-14

I definitely need to introduce some exercising in my routine. I didn't do any in years. To some extent probably due smoking as well. 

I like when you say overdrive. It's nice metaphor and it does feel like that. Can physically almost feel overheated mind area. 

I definitely don't want to smoke ever again. If not for all the cons, I especially don't want to go through this process ever again...

Jaka38

Oct-14

Thanks for your encouragement. I'm proud to myself as well actually. At least practicing that since my strong tendency towards selfcritisism. 

I know what you're saying. It feels different this time compared to all the previous failed quits. Especially due to support from this forum. It's great to talk about with people who knows what that means from experience. 

Jaka38

Oct-14

Thanks for your beautiful words. Actually it's so difficult to meditate right now when I'd need it most. I guess it has something to do to what Debbie pointed out. Mind is overheated, working non stop. Too  many distractions leads to agitation. I want to say it's not so productive as one would wish for. Instead mindfulness I do metta meditation in the evening. Feels better... 

The hardest part of the day ir right now, Morning, around 9 o'clock AM. In afternoon usually gets better.