About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Closet smoker   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started 10/22/20 by jlbenham123; 1758 views.
blackbird912

Apr-28

Searching and just found this, thankfully.  I am a recovering closet smoker.  I think being a closet smoker is the worst kind because we know every trick to not get caught.  This is the kind of articles I could stand to read everyday.  Thank you for posting this.  Got anymore?

Loreficent

Apr-29

Hey Chris...

Try this one:

https://whyquit.com/john/stop-smoking-cravings-tips-embracing-crave-episodes.html

More soon if interested....

blackbird912

Apr-30

Thank you.  I read this last night before sleep. Helped a little.  Also looked at some more stuff on this site.  Many thanks. Cravings are a bit crazy right now though.  I woke up with cravings that I haven’t had in a while.  I don’t plan on smoking today and will keep reading.  I think this is my hardest quit yet so I sure hope to keep it because they seem to get harder and harder.  There.  Just admitting I am in a rough patch helps a little.  Thank you.

oxanquits

Apr-30

Hi Chris, great you don't plan on smoking and I really like the article, this kind of thinking helped and is still helping me to stay smoke free.. although I had a feeling my cravings are few hours long not few minutes like mentioned there :)

Try to accept and be grateful for the cravings you have rather then fight them, be sad or angry. "You are witness to the most frightening part of most amazing healing your mind and life will likely ever know. "  Those cravings are healing you, celebrate it, "Allow yourself a smile." it is reminder of the success you're going to get today. I know it's probably hard to think of craving as a good thing when it happens, but you should make this shift in your mind somehow, you don't loose anything. Quitting smoking is a transformation really, with each craving you change your identity - you are a non-smoker now and I am happy for you, I hope you are happy too.

You can also imagine the situation which trigger you most and visualize what you would do as non-smoker, like imagine how you would refuse the cigarette when a smoking friend comes or when something stressful happens.

blackbird912

Apr-30

All good points and I did seem to eventually feel settled but  my cravings felt like they were lasting forever today.   One big continuous crave!   So eventually I told myself that instead of using the words nervous and anxious ( I was feeling these words a lot today), I finally changed to a different word and that was the word excited.  Then the word excited really did make me feel excited and I began liking the idea of being excited because life is exciting and everything I was doing today really was exciting.  Forget the nervous and anxious!!  EXCITEMENT indeed!  And I can celebrate my nicotine-free life after all.!

So I then realized I wasn’t craving a cigarette anymore.  How about that?  And now, grateful, I am enjoying my evening!  Thank you!!...I appreciate your help.

oxanquits

May-2

Hi Chris, it was very wise of you to change negative feeling to positive, that's exactly what I meant about transformation. It is amazing how we can make a switch of our reality with just switch of the thought. I wish you and me to do it often, I am pretty sure that it's a big help in our quit journey.

I have no major cravings... I am now trying to reduce my weight, because I got some recently, sometimes I think that it's because of quitting smoking and that I was in a better shape smoking. Even if it is so I don't regret quitting, just adjusting my routine.

blackbird912

May-3

Funny how you said you felt you were in better shape smoking.  Haha ...l ya know that statement just can’t be accurate.  Did you increase your food when you quit?  Increase exercise?   I would guess most people gain a few pounds when they quit and yes we adjust our routine.  I must admit food does taste better.  I also think most people lose the weight they’ve gained after quitting eventually.

Anne2020

May-3

This is the Ticket that I used when I quit cold turkey 16 months ago.  I enjoyed every craving knowing I was getting farther and farther away from addiction with every wave.  Excited and smiling all the way through my quit.  I definitely believe that is why my quit so easy.  

Cheers!

oxanquits

May-3

Yes its funny haha it is the junky thinking left.. but there is some truth there, from what I read online, nicotine increases metabolism so I guess you should take care of it additionally once you quit, eat less and move more. I can't say I did enough of that, but I do now, we'll see the result.