About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

November 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 10/31/20 by Terry (abquitsmking); 26488 views.
F4ul

Jan-9

I smoked half light cigarettes in August then I smoked 2 half cigarettes in September and in October it might be 2 and a 1/2 cigarettes and in November it was like a half cigarette might have smoked one of half in between these months too 

Loreficent

Jan-9

So it sounds like you’ve had 6 or 7 days of smoking since last March, is that right? Well, I don’t know the answer to your question, I’m sorry. I also don’t know if there is a right or wrong answer. Generally, folks on here count “a slip” as just that. This is an extremely tough addiction for sure and all of us here would agree on that. I also had two slips since my quit date last February. One was about 3 weeks in where I smoked a half of one,  the other about 3 and a half months in and I smoked for most of a day with 8 cigarettes total. It felt important to me to discount that day from my quit and move the “official” date ahead a day. I understand how this could seem disingenuous to many here who made it a full 365 days in a row without any cigarettes. So I still struggle with if it will really be a full year for me in that day in June instead. I also see how it isn’t worth a big argument among us which would serve to disconnect the ultimate goal of this forum, which is to support each other. Still, I respect and understand the purist path of so many here and truly appreciate the dedication it takes and why 365 days in a row is such a tremendous accomplishment. It is one I haven’t completed yet. There is also the question of how many slips does one have to have for it to be looked at as a quit undone. 
You see, this could open a big can of worms for a debate that will ultimately not have one single right or wrong answer,  as with many things in life. There is the technical answer of a year is 365 days in a row. Maybe that is the answer...?

I’m quite happy to adjust my date to June because the longer I go with this quit,  I realize the most important thing to me is to remain an ex-smoker, and my hope for me is this lasts the rest of my life. Nothing magical is gonna happen at the one year mark for me. I will still be an addict. I will probably still struggle with temptation at times. I do know I will still be vulnerable in some ways, perhaps for the rest of my life, to slip at some point. I don’t ever want to minimize the one year milestone as it is a tremendous accomplishment for all of us! It is one that most of us at one point thought we could never do, and many of us here still question if we will or can. At some point, it seems many of the old timers reach a point and they can say on here that they know they will never smoke again. Today I don’t know if I will reach that point too or not. I want to. This feels like the beginning of a new lease on life in so many ways! I’m hoping to have 30 more decent years on this planet ( if it survives 30 more years) and in the grand scheme for me, with most things, age included, I don’t get caught up in external time stamps, but try to stay in and cherish the day and moment I’m in. So there is another question of why is the one year mark so important to you? It also works to stay in the moment day to day and let time roll on as it inevitably always does and one day look back and say, wow! Look where I’ve been! I guess you gotta figure out what time means to you. You’re pretty young and have quit while you’re ahead. Embrace that and keep going as you are doing well. Find your own answers and what you can be honest with yourself with and look yourself in the mirror with. 
Bottom line is there are hundreds of philosophical answers and ways to slice and dice your question, but technically, 365 days in a row of not smoking means just that, you made a year in a row of not smoking. Celebrate every single day you don’t as they are the treasures and you cannot ever stop time, only mark it up. 

This could be a very interesting conversation and interesting to hear other perspectives, but I would hate to see it turn into a heated debate in any way. Those who have made it the full 365 in a row really deserve to have that milestone called out and celebrated. It’s tough. 

Also, I think you would be wise to accept that nobody forces anyone to smoke, friend or not. Smoking is a choice for each and every one of us that will always be there. 

gkim

Jan-9

In my opinion ultimately it’s your quit date whichever day you pick. You have to be okay with that date. If it bothers you because you know you smoked after that date then ask yourself is that date always going to bother you. The important thing here is that you stopped smoking. You will continue to not smoke. That’s the key!!

Loreficent

Jan-9

Now how did you sum that up in just a few sentences and it took me paragraphs ? joy

Yeah, it’s bothered me since that day actually. Almost enough to make me smoke at times! joy Not really, and that was supposed to make you smile. But yeah, technically I won’t reach 365 days in a row of not smoking until June 8th I think it is. I have to look back. I’m one that can’t remember the actual date of myself or others to begin with and it really is most important to me to take it one day at a time. Actually, just writing this now, I realize I have again forgotten Peggy’s anniversary! scream The one date I always remember is my Daughter’s birthday. Other than that, I pretty much live in some time warp construed by nature and am much more in tune with what season it is and not much else matters. I remember my days to go in to work, but pay no attention to an actual date. It drives all who know me rather nuts at times, but I’m enjoying my little world and trying not to harm anything along the way. No matter where I go, there I am. I was a bad one to attempt taking on that question for sure! Hahaha! 

gkim

Jan-9

I’m not good with dates either or with names for that matter. Anyhoo, I think by the time we have years under our belts, it won’t matter whether we slipped or that our dates weren’t all in a row. You know what I mean. We’ll just be so grateful and happy that that hell is done with and we are non- smokers!!

Anne2020

Jan-11

It is totally your call.  If you feel that you can call it a year, than do it.  I have to commend you - you took a few puffs here and there and went back to your quit.  That is not an easy thing to do.   Once you get the taste for a smoke, and then you go back for another, and then another - you are on a very slippery slope.   You have to relive that purge of nicotine out of your system and fight a bit harder to stay the course.  You didn't go back to full on smoking everyday.  You hung on to your quit and carried on. 

You could call it a tough first year - and next year a better 2nd year. 

It's your call.   You decide.      

gkim

Jan-11

I totally agree with Ann. You could have just said “forget it!” and started smoking again but you hung in there and kept trying. That shows you are committed! Keep going!

Eve1973

Jan-11

Lol.....As the saying goes 

I LIVE IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD, ITS OK, THEY KNOW ME THERE!

That fits me to a tee.....names! Hmph....forget it, what I came I. The kitchen for.....no clue. You were at the party? I was at the party? Are we sure? Lmao 

Everyone has their own lil quirks....our job is to find someone to appreciate or at least tolerate our “weird crap” lol

Can you believe I had a smoking dream AGAIN last night! Crazy! It’s actually making me mad. Not to mad! But seriously, can we just get past this?

Crap......me too about Peggy!

CC to gkim
gkim

Jan-16

How are you F4ul

fortemdomina

Jan-20

Hello! Just wanted to see how everyone was doing. I am still going strong and just over a week shy of 2 months. I hope you are well and hanging in there!  The urge to smoke has completely gone recently and I don’t even think about it everyday anymore. Hope the Nov quitters are doing great!

CC to Vickie106