About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 1 begins now   Quit Support

Started Nov-5 by Mimikur; 2154 views.
Mimikur

Nov-5

Hi all. 

It's 3pm where I am now and I just had my last cigarette. 

I wrote on this forum a few days ago, saying that I will quit after my last pack of tobacco. There must be enough tobacco for another 10 sticks or so but I thought, meh, I don't wanna delay this. 

I woke up this morning with a different feeling. I was thinking about my quit process rather than sneakily planning when to smoke next. So far today, I didn't really have any smoking urge, but wanted to have that final puff just to make it official. Haha! 

Some background: I am in my 30s and have been smoking consistently for more than 10 years. At the peak of my smoking I did around 10 sticks a day, sometimes more. In the last few years I brought it down to around 5. The change in work and social environment definitely helped this reduction and now, after being at home since March, I can see and understand clearly my habits, good and bad, and feel like I have better control over them. 

I am feeling motivated right now. Will keep updating here. You all have been an amazing support, although you might not know it, in pushing me to go on this road to freedom. Thanks to @Loreficent and @TinyBadger for encouraging me personally after my first post. heart

Loreficent

Nov-5

Fantastic Mimikur!

Your awareness of habits and associations will pay off. The first few days are the hardest. Be kind to yourself and if you feel like a nap, do it. Drink lots of water. Many here swear by ice water through a straw. Perhaps tell yourself now this what you will do and have that ready and say, “oh, it’s time for my ice water!” I don’t know, perhaps that sounds silly. I’m sleepy. 
Have you been to the library tab here yet and read some articles? Here is the thing...there can always be a last one. I told myself that and years went by, filled with “last ones”, so be glad you did not feel compelled to roll those last 10. I’m glad you said it’s time. 
You can do this, and we will help! You are 8 hours behind me. So the time change can make things hard for answers right away sometimes. Don’t worry though...I will check back in and see how are you doing! I know you can do this. Believe in yourself. Also, was very nice what you wrote to Luke. Thanks for joining our community.

Mimikur

Nov-5

Thanks! I spent my last 3 hours playing computer games downloading a few now, and also some books for night time activities. On a typical day, my crave starts at night. I'll update!

Jaka38

Nov-5

Congratulation on your decision. It's tough but it's worth it. I think your attitude is quite skillful. That's awesome. Just stick to it and you'll be through the hardest part in no time. I believe you're already equipped with all the tools how to beat this junkie mind.

Lore mentioned 8 hours in between. Where are you from if it's not a secret?  GMT probably?

CC to Loreficent
In reply toRe: msg 4
Mimikur

Nov-5

Hi Jaka38! I have seen you around, and needless to say, you are of those who inspire me and give me the courage to do this. Thank you!!

It sounded so nice that you said my attitude was skillful. If i know myself, i am stubborn, realistic, practical, cynical, high-achieving, competitive (with myself), paranoid all put together. I can't bear the thought of failing this, but I also can't simply power through like a lot of amazing people here managed to do. I needed a plan, i needed truly to understand what was going with myself. Each side of my character that I named up there has a role in my quit, but most of all it's the kindness and sincererity I find on this forum! Incredible. 

I am in Kuala Lumpur, that's GMT+8. What about you?

It's 11pm now here. That means I'm 8 hours smoke-free, and I'll be going to bed in a couple of hours and then wake up and go straight to work, and by 3pm tomorrow, I'll complete 24 hours God, I cannot wait. Night time is more difficult so I am glad that this first night is almost over. I do feel the crave a little bit now, the exact thing I felt yesterday. And I know exactly what would happen if I chose to smoke. Tsk tsk. Nope.

I feel confident about this at the moment, but let me illustrate: it's like having an obnoxious cartoon cigarette with smoke and ash flying about dancing in front of you and mocking you for not wanting to smoke, when smoking is the last thing on your mind. Gets on your nerves doesn't it?  

I'll update tomorrow as i hit the 24-hour mark! 

• Edited November 5, 2020 10:12 am  by  Mimikur
TinyBadger

Nov-5

That's how my husband was, late night cravings were the worst for him. Just stay busy and plan ahead. If you have a plan, you won't be lost in the crave. He had special snacks, a sippy cup with a straw and juice...and would sometimes wake me up for a back rub. I hated it, but I'd wake up and rub him if  it meant he quit.  We've got people in multiple countries so there is usually someone around if you post an sos. You're on the path to heal from this terrible addiction! Stay strong and don't give in! You've got this and we've got your back. Post, post , post and don't forget to read the articles. Computer games are a great idea and I read in the evenings as well so you're on the right track. 

Sheilamz

Nov-5

Hoping you're making it through your first 24hours. Sipping Ice water, super cold ice water helped with my cravings those first few days. Hang in there. 

Mimikur

Nov-5

Just 3 hours before I complete Day 1. Am I going to make it? HELL YES! 

I'm not a willpower sort of person joy I think what's helping me is that I'm used to postponing a smoke for hours (I was kind of a closet smoker, except around other smokers): no smoke breaks at work, or around my family, which could mean a one-week vacation where I had to sneak out at night for a cigarette after everyone had gone to bed. So without realizing it, maybe I have been dealing with the crave for years, though of course before, I always got to satisfy it in the end. I'm hoping my theory is correct and that I can keep dealing with this each time. Trying not to think of the coming days and weeks. I am focusing my mind now on what to have for lunch. Just going from one thing to the next to occupy my mind and the time. 

Though I'm not having a terrible time, this has got to be the longest 24 hours I have ever lived through. persevere (the description for this emoji is "persevering face" hahaha!)

In reply toRe: msg 8
Mimikur

Nov-5

Random thought: 

While never-smokers have absolutely NO IDEA what a struggle it is for smokers to quit, I personally look to them for something very specific: how to enjoy life without smoking. See, they've never smoked, never wanted to, but many if not all of them have gone through a stressful life too. And most of them enjoy life just the same as smokers do. They give me proof that we don't need to deal with the longing with a junkie mentality. I actually had a thought, what if something amazing happened, and I can't celebrate with a smoke??? That's unthinkable. That's a shame. What a loss of enjoyable smoking opportunity. This kind of thoughts made me postpone my quit all this time. 

As I contemplated when to quit, maybe a week go, I was thinking, "maybe after the weekend, because weekends are nice and I deserve to smoke". AS IF THERE ARE NO MORE WEEEKENDS AFTER THIS! This kind of realization makes me annoyed with myself and the way I am thinking. So coming back to my main point, I look at friends who don't smoke, with whom I have a lot of other things in common. They seem to really enjoy their lives. They have bad days too, but WHY DO I NEED TO SMOKE AND THEY DON'T? It just doesn't make sense. 

Two more hours for me. OMG. Did somebody slow down time??? I think I need a break from the computer. See you all later. 

Sheilamz

Nov-6

When I first quit I dealt with it literally one.hour.at.a.time.  I would tell myself, I just won't smoke for this hour and then when that hour was up I'd say, now I just won't smoke for this hour and repeat this until I'd get through the day. Pretty soon I found myself getting through multiple hours at a time and then a half a day and then the days and weeks started adding up. 

As to your other post about non smokers way of thinking and dealing with stress and enjoyable moments vs us smokers, you're right - it's going to be different for you until you get some recovery time under your belt and get the junkie thinking out of your head.  But that comes with retraining your thought process by reading every article on this site and talking-to the people here and posting and processing throughout your quit journey.  I starting to seriously lose my junkie thinking by the 5th month of quitting. It is different for everyone.  But it will eventually go away if you work for it.   You can do it!