About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Just signed up and needing some help/   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Nov-24 by DavidSobo; 1184 views.
DavidSobo

Nov-24

Hi everyone - My name is David and I've made the decision to stop smoking after 50+ years. Should be a weird trip for sure. I know I'll need help so signed up for this forum in hopes of getting some. Wish me luck and I'll be in touch -  

June2019

Nov-24

Welcome, David!  Glad you found this forum, Introduce yourself i the 'November 2020 New Ex-Smokers Start Here' thread if you haven't already, to connect with others who have similar quit dates

That thread will have lots of good tips from the moderators - links to articles to read through when you're feeling unsure & like giving in. 

Have a list of what to have on hand (toolbox or warchest) to get through 1st  3 days , 5 days, week, month , 1 day at a time. Wishing you strength and peace

Loreficent

Nov-24

Hi David!

Welcome! You are making an excellent choice. Definitely not an easy one, but you are young enough yet to turn some things around, and as my Dad always said, “you can’t do it any younger!” Speaking of, if you stick with it, and give it some time, I firmly believe your only regret is going to be that you didn’t do it sooner! 
This is a wonderful community of people from all over the world that are here because we all “get it”. There are a lot of long time quitters here too that come back with years under their belts now and all of them have great insight and advice. We all have one thing in common, and that is to be free of this horribly destructive and expensive addiction. It likely seems like a tremendous mountain in front of you. In some moments, it definitely will be. This is not Mt Everest though which for most is insurmountable. This one is totally within your grasp! It truly is. 
If you haven’t already, start at the beginning of the November 2020 Ex Smokers tab just above where this post is and read through the information the Mods put. Also, if you open drop down box above that by putting the drop arrow to all and open all of the tabs, at the bottom there is a “Library” tab. I highly recommend reading some articles there! Once you open once, at the bottom there will be links to others. This is is great way to keep yourself motivated and distracted during craves, as well as educate yourself about this journey. Knowledge is power. Take it ONE DAY at a time. Stick close here, post as much or as little as you like, but promise yourself you will post for support if you feel like you’re having a tough moment and wait for 3 replies. By then the crave will pass and you will be able to continue on your journey!

DavidSobo

Nov-24

Thanks for your input. I have already done a lot of reading about the journey I'm on and I am motivated. After 50 years of being a slave to tobacco it's time to end the relationship. Turning 70 in few days and want to make it to at least 80,  figure my chances are better if I stop smoking. Also I started, for the first time, to feel shortness of breath. Anyway, thanks again for being there and I'll stay in contact.

Loreficent

Nov-24

Yes. Do it! 
70 is the new 60 by the way. I noticed a difference in my breathing in the first few days and it helped keep me motivated. Now I run over an hour 3 times a week, and walk for 2-3 hours every other day. It’s the most wonderful birthday gift you will give yourself and those you love!

Vickie106

Nov-24

Welcome David!  So glad to have another newbie like me!  I’m only 5 days in and need all the help I can get too!  Have you already quit or preparing?  

strong1977

Nov-25

Hi David, congrats on wanting to take this huge plunge which is going to make your health better, and it's also going to help you in the long run so congrats to that for sure. I am someone who has stopped smoking for the past nine years i have been smoke free, and so i am going to give you some advice to help you, stay close to this forum because when your needing to vent you can vent on here, and get some help right away. Also drink lots of cold water with ice, that will help with the cravings and as much as possible get out side and get some fresh air, but also make sure that are thinking positive about your quit, because that helps as well, some of us list reasons why we stopped smoking and so we carry that with us every day so that when we get discouraged then we turn  to those reasons and it helps you to stay smoke free.

you got this,  it can be done i am living proof of that, just remember to keep your quit going 

your non smoking friend   Liz 

DavidSobo

Nov-25

Vickie - I'm a little embarrased to say I'm only "preparing" at this point. I turn 70 this coming Sunday [ the 29th ] and have set that date as my lift off. It's sort of stupid of me to delay this but it's a huge decision for me and I'm thinking of it as my birthday present to myself. I wish I was 5 days into as you are, good job and I will reach out to you for help along the way.  Keep it going Lady, you are my inspiration right now. Sorry to put this pressure on you, probably not what you need right now but sometimes a person needs a role model to keep them going. 

Vickie106

Nov-25

This is a huge turning point and a great birthday present! I’m here for you, as are so many more!  This is a great support system from what I’ve experienced so far and I’ve read threads where people are celebrating successes and offering encouragement through urges and sometimes just having a good laugh.  I know this is going to be a big part of my quit journey...that and some NRT. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye  I was afraid “cold turkey” wouldn’t work for me.  So buckle up David!  This is going to be a great journey!  
Oh and I realized earlier that I had my quit date wrong...not sure how but when I looked back at my journal I saw where I am 1 week smoke free!  

Screwadriver

Nov-26

Hi David with my quit it took 3 or 4 weeks to start, I would avoid smoking till say 10 am one day, maybe no smokes after lunch to 4 on. Then non all morning etc. I just wanted to prove to myself that I'd be ok. After about 2 weeks I tried all day but usually had one and that went on for a couple weeks all the time I chewed Nico gum. Then one day I had enough and quit, I used the gum sparingly and after 10 days of no smoking I felt a relief. Yup it was tough couldn't take my mind off smoking but hour by hour it got easier.

Now 2 years and a day later I feel totally renewed again. Please accept this post as an inspiration that if I can do it you can do it especially since we are only a few years apart. Take the time and effort stick around this forum you will make some good friends in the process. Hopefully see you next year about this time.