About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Relapse after few days   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Nov-25 by sandande; 873 views.
sandande

Nov-25

Hello,

I managed to go 3 days without the urge to smoke. Then on 4th day I had some losses in stock market and I lit one. I am frustrated with myself for doing that. I could have just had the nicotine gum like I did on previous days. Hoping to stay stronger going forward.

Anne2020

Nov-25

Sometimes it takes a few dress rehearsals before the show.  Don't give up on yourself.  You are trying to teach yourself new tricks and that takes time and practice.   Next time anxiety hits, reach for a gummy bear or perhaps try deep breathing or go out for a walk/run.  Use some other tactic to distract yourself.  It takes time to teach yourself to reach for something other than the cigarettes in all the ways that you used to do.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.  It is well worth it once you get to the other side.

Cheers. 

sandande

Nov-25

Thanks Anne! Run is something I can definitely try.

livtoswim

Dec-2

Hello sandande,

My cigarette smoking is just like the Stock Market -it's a roller coaster ride!   Certainly a dip in the markets increases stress/anxiety which surely requires a smoke.  Since the markets are so volatile right now you will be smoking a lot.  Me too if I let myself.  The markets will bounce back -  then dip -be prepared for a double dip in January 2021 so get your patches and nicotine gum it's going to be a bumpy ride.  It will be ok!  

overdoze

Dec-2

Yep i here ya on that. Thankfully were not smoking today so that is a good thing. what do you mean a double dip in January? meaning it may touch a low of mid march again? do you trade?

livtoswim

Dec-3

Good Morning !

I don't trade myself.  I have a portfolio that a professional  manages for me.  I tried to do it myself. Didn't end well. Yes the markets will be volatile in January - March.  I like to work with Fidelity. I am a conservative investor.   Hopefully covid will be in the past once the vaccine is ready to distribute.  That will make the markets happy.  Have a good day. 

Loreficent

Dec-3

Ok, I am hoping it makes people happy, and healthy. It is definitely a mixed bag, the capitalistic venture played out here with it all for sure. My knee jerk thoughts are likely not forum friendly, but as with most things I generally have a wide angle of thoughts. Will say was interesting and I am very happy to see Britain moving ahead, and frankly, am basking in the irony of it and can’t wait to hear the potential screaming about that.  This a good conversation to have though as I’ve read other places that these things can be triggers for people, stocks and their volatility. Funny how as a smoker we thought very extremely little of playing roulette with our health and good chunk of change, right? Not sure if you saw Tiny’s calculations here somewhere on what Eve would save in 10 years? I think it was around 40 Grand. Perhaps this can be motivation for all you fair traders, to actually put that money a month even, ahead of time now, into your portfolios and just let your planner know as of today you are adding in X amount extra. Then carry on an ex smoker and do t even think about it as you’ve spent the money you had for smokes already. I’m not an investor or trader so may not know what I’m talking about, but with my work, I can log in and change what comes out of payroll for 401 anytime I want. So I think I will do that today. Yay!

Loreficent

Dec-3

So, how you hanging? Read previous post and maybe get an idea to keep you a tiny bit optimistic about your financial stuff. As an Ex smoker you will have a good chunk of change to play with. I don’t t have one, but lots of people here have those apps that tell them how much money they’ve saved. Perhaps get one and let if offset your woes a little knowing there is something you can do with that money you would have or are spending on smokes as according to these apps it seems to add up quickly. 
Either way, I hope you’re doing better with the quit!

strong1977

Dec-6

Hey there! try not to dwell on the fact that you gave in and try focusing on giving it another try, it helps to have water and ice on hand that way it will help with your cravings, I have nine years smoke free, and i have had a lot of stress in my life yet i continue to stay smoke free because i know that no matter how bad things get it's not going to help  me in the long run, just like for you, having that smoke did not help you with the big loss you had to go thru, 

what has  gotten me to this nine year smoke free point is my way of thinking, if your thinking positive about your quit you will keep going and when something bad happens you need to ask yourself is smoking going to help this situation, the answer will always be no 

good luck!

your non smoking buddy 

Liz 

gkim

Dec-6

Life will always give you ups and downs. You’re quitting smoking cannot depend on that. You need to find a replacement for the cigarette smoking. For me I try sucking on hard candy, eat popcorn, breath, say a quick prayer or just yell out loud and stretch. Do what works for you. It’s really a fight with my own will power. I’ve been winning. I’m on day 32. Keep fighting!