About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Done with day 1   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Nov-25 by HETANGDESAI; 507 views.
HETANGDESAI

Nov-25

I'm writing this message at 01.00 hours from the basement of a hospital where my uncle is fighting for existence due to a lifelong overindulgence with alcohol. I decided to mend my ways yesterday after having seen the ryles tube been inserted. If that doesn't make me quit my 11 year habit of smoking 10 sticks a day, nothing else can. I've tried doing it thrice over the years and 15 days were the maximum I could pull off. While doing my pre-quit research I came across this forum and having been through quite a lot of posts, I'm looking for a new community to fall back upon like I did when I started smoking. The gum has helped so far, your support will take it to completion. 

June2019

Nov-25

Welcome-

Sorry about your uncle. It's a terrible situation, but if it pushes you to quit, latch on to that motivation.

Quitting smokes is the best thing you can do for yourself - it will be a challenge, but every day will get easier.

My suggestion for the next few days is to write down everything you are feeling today in regards to why you are quitting. Make it personal in the description of how much your breath disgusts you in the morning to hating how you cut short important conversations to run out and get a fix (for example) .  List all the reasons you hate smoking while all those reasons are fresh on your mind and in your senses, if that makes sense.

You'll go back to that list several times over the first year in moments of wanting to give in, so keep it handy.

Then have your toolbox of items & little tricks on hand to get through each crave, one crave at a time. The 'november 2020 (then december 2020) new ex-smokers start here thread' will have many great posts and tips from the moderators, as well as suggested toolbox items  .

Today is the PERFECT day to quit! congrats on being here.

Wishing you peace & strength-

June2019

TinyBadger

Nov-27

I'm sorry about whats happening to you, please know that we are here to support you. I agree with june2019, there are a lot of good ideas in her post. You can do this, despite what is going on in your life. You are strong and ready to kick this thing to the curb! Read and make your lists and get your toolbox ready because you've made one tough decision that you won't regret! We're here for you.

strong1977

Nov-29

I am so sorry to hear what your uncle is going thru and for what your going thru as well, it's good though that your making this choice to stop smoking, i commend you for that, just make sure that this is something you want to do for yourself and not for anyone else but you because you want for this to work out 

you can do this, nine years ago i had set down on to this path and i have been smoke free for almost ten years which is something i am extremely proud of and you will get here to as long as you stay focused and know that this is mind over matter if your thinking positive about your quit and have all the right reasons for quitting then your doing the right thing for sure. I always found that when your  thinking positive about something it always works out but if your someone who thinks negative about your quit then you won't be able to get thru this 

drink lots of cold water with ice which will help with your cravings 

get lots of fresh air and keep your hands busy working on projects because it will take your mind off of smoking 

you got this and don't forget to post post post 

your non smoking friend for the past nine years 

Liz 

HETANGDESAI

Dec-3

Thank you June2019,

It's been a good week so far on the no smoking front. I developed a bad case of constipation for the first couple of days. This has led to zero junk food and a healthy diet of fruits and vegetables. I don't miss the sore throat and constant fights with the spouse to get 1 more cigarette for the day. The 14mg nicotine patch has worked wonders, I don't get the urge anymore. I'll be sticking to the prescribed 8 week nrt therapy at the end of which I will be strong enough to not let the urge get the better of me. 

Thank you for the support. 

HETANGDESAI

Dec-3

Thank you TinyBadger,

I'm going to see it through this time. 

HETANGDESAI

Dec-3

Thank you Strong 1977

Your tip of ice water has been a big big help. It's been a strange sort of a week. I'm just happy to get through it. 

Thank you for your support

June2019

Dec-3

Glad to hear you're still smoke free! ONE WEEK DOWN!!!!