About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First Day of quit after 30 Years of Smoking   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Dec-3 by SR25; 1774 views.
SR25

Dec-3

My very first day of quitting after smoking for almost 30 years.

In reply toRe: msg 1
fortemdomina

Dec-3

Good for you!  Great decision.  Welcome to the forums.  I quit about 6 days ago myself and I can already tell some great benefits.  You can post in the December 2020 quitters group to find others who are quitting about the same time as you (you might be the first) and there are some great resources posted in there for new quitters with articles and great information.  Welcome!

gkim

Dec-3

Welcome. I’m on day 29. Still not easy but doing better. 

Dunwithit

Dec-3

Mine too! I’m using patches and day one wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. How you making out?

SR25

Dec-3

Agreed, Day 1 was much easier than imagined. We are riding high on the motivation and may be the next few days will be more difficult. But whatever happens, NO RELAPSE..

DanJF3

Dec-4

Congratulations to you and all the others still very early in your smoke free journey.  I quit on January 1 so almost a full year in.  Know you have a lot of support here and posting in the December New Ex-Smokers forum is a helpful strategy.  I posted a lot in the early days and believe me when I say I was less than enthusiastic about quitting and was certain I would fail after trying numerous times the past 5 years or so and just never getting past a week or so without going absolutely crazy.  Quitting had to happen as I could tell it was taking a horrible physical and mental toll.  

The big difference this time is I tried online support instead of trying to just tough things out when cravings hit.  Education about this addiction is important as is learning from others who have gone through this themselves.  I can't say enough how reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking made a huge difference.  The book totally shifted my mindset and helped me realize that what I am giving up was going to kill me and what I am gaining is a life of better health and freedom.  Apparently not everyone has as strong of a reaction to the book as I did but there are enough positive comments out there that it's definitely worth taking the time to read.  

Keep posting and stay strong!  It really does get easier as you go and is definitely worth any initial discomfort you may experience.

In reply toRe: msg 6
SR25

Dec-4

Thanks for your support.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Vickie106

Dec-4

Welcome and congratulations!  I’m not far ahead of you at 16 days.  I also am using the patch.   My doctor recommended having the nicotine gum 2mg on hand when the strong urges hit.  It’s helped me through several rough patches.  And they will come.  As you know the patches reduce the nicotine withdrawal, but not the habit.  I had a really strong urge yesterday and had to battle through it.  But, as long as you’re prepared, it can be managed.  Some good advice I’ve gotten is when the urge hits, come on here and just send out an SOS.  Type out your feelings and frustrations and  by the time you do that, the urge will have probably passed.  Build a tool box - ice water, straws, games, meditation, deep breathing, whatever it takes to fight the battle.  There are so many caring and experienced folks ready to help you.  We’re stronger together!

CC to Dunwithit
In reply toRe: msg 5
Lubbercat

Dec-9

Hi there, hope your quit is going well?  I am figuring you are 3 days ahead of me at this point so wondering how you are doing?

Lubbercat

Dec-9

Hi there, I have just quit on the 6th so, about 3 days behind you.  How are you doing now?  I also am using the patches to help me through the beginning stages........I had one successful quit a long time ago but, have been trying again for a year.