About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Phoebe Magnolia rounds the bend toward 12 years being smoke free   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Dec-3 by Susan1206; 399 views.
Susan1206

Dec-3

Dear Forum Friends ~

It was eleven years ago and the day before Thanksgiving that I put out my last ciggie for a lifetime.  I had reached a point of no return ~ age, too many ciggies ~ a husband who smoked with vascular disease and grandchildren who were old enough to see I smoked.  I was ashamed that I was a smoker.

I had found the Forum before Thanksgiving and lurked around.  Soon,  friends were made in the Nopevember group.  They would become my literal lifeline for the next year or two or three or four.

In the beginning, I quit for my health and to become an example to my husband who was already on his third aneurysm.  It was the single most difficult task (other than childbirth) that I have ever endured.  The Forum saved my LIFE and that's why I am still around ~ eleven years later.

I wear a small silver cross around my neck and next to it is the key my daughter gave to me.  I always want to be reminded what I accomplished.

Carry on ~ if I can quit ~ so can YOU!!!   ((hugs))  Susan   aka phoebemagnolia

On a sad note, the day after I lost my husband to a brain aneurysm, I brought his clothes back to our home.  In the pockets, I found several loose ciggies.  He simply chose NOT to quit.   If you take anything away from my message, take this.......... Smoking is an addiction and smoking kills.   

Eve1973

Dec-3

Wow Susan, thanx for sharing. Yes it’s a deadly addiction. I’m so sorry about your husband. I remember watching my dad turn off the oxygen take mask off and have a cigarette. 

Addiction is a powerful thing! I’m happy for you that eleven years has passed and that you were there for your children and grandchildren. You showed them it can be done! 

Keep going and make sure they KNOW what you have accomplished! 

Hugs and best wishes!

Eve 1/30/2020

• Edited December 3, 2020 1:24 pm  by  Eve1973
Susan1206

Dec-3

Thank you, Eve.  I appreciate your comments.  The grandchildren are now eighteen, fourteen and three years of age.  I don't believe the eldest ever knew that I smoked.....and I pray they never become smokers!

Susan

Wow 12 years have passed for you - I bet you are so happy to be free. I am so grateful to be over 7 years quit and this forum gave both of us the support we needed to succeed. New quitters will definitely appreciate reading your posts and know that they too can conquer this drug addiction. Nice job Susan. Onto year 13 for you and you definitely are no sissy.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

GI_JOE (JoelJose)

Dec-17

Hi Susan,wow!!12 years!its a life time achievement.i am so proud of you achievement.you are a brave fighter.your post reinforced my quit resolution.i am on month 2 and soon it will be 3 months smoke free.

Susan1206

Dec-17

Thank you for your posting.   I've stayed with the Forum for over eleven years ~ 

Keep on the good work.  Two months will blend into three...and then four and soon it will be a year.  Wish I would have done this YEARS earlier.     Susan

Susan1206

Dec-17

Dear Debbie ~

And congratulations to YOU, my friend.  I have seen you floating around the Forum for many a year and I congratulate YOU for staying on board.  If we can be of inspiration to just a few ~ 

Job well done!    Susan