About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Regroup Joe!   Quit Support

Started Dec-26 by Loreficent; 2365 views.
Loreficent

Dec-26

Hey Joe,

Just read in other thread you had a slip. Bummer. Not the end of the world! So your date is the 22nd. Was it before then? You posted about it this morning so I am wondering if it was yesterday? If so then you did make it 3 months. So would still be easiest to let it go again now before you’ve been smoking for a few days. Make a list of what you had been noticing that was positive. Make another list of how you feel about your slip. Then recommit and carry on! 
It’s a tough addiction. Won’t do any good to beat yourself up, rather forgive yourself and just keep going!

Not so sure it is productive to look at it as a particular method failed. Sounds like Carr method got you through nearly 3 months and I don’t consider that the method failing. It is still a good method and works well for lots of folks. You have to look at what was going on in the moment you gave in. Reread the book. Add some things you’ve learned here. It comes down to choice no matter what method you use. Those are support tools, but the ultimate deciding factor is you as an individual. So, doing what you did by posting for support and acknowledging the slip and moving forward is what you do now. 

• Edited December 26, 2020 11:43 am  by  Loreficent
SusanK1960

Dec-26

Hi Joe,

I am sorry to read that you were not able to find a way to redirect your thoughts away from your inner addiction’s voice.  That’s all that happened.  It is a consequence of being addicted to nicotine.  You haven’t failed at this point. You only fail if you give up trying.  There is no one method for success and no two quits are the same, even your own.  Don’t quit trying.  Don’t look forward and don’t look behind, just focus on the minute, the hour the day that you are in for this journey.  It is tying moments of success together.  

This is very painful journey, however, that is what make the successes that much more poignant.  You still have the right frame of mind which is you slipped.  You didn’t think this a few months ago when you would light up without any emotion involved, so you have had some success, just use this slip as another lesson to be used on your journey.

So you lost the game today, the season ain’t over!

Loreficent

Dec-26

I really like that Susan, how you said “ you lit up a few months ago with no emotion involved”. That is such an insightful and healthy way to look at it, and so true! I know for me if I were to smoke now it would would come with a huge emotional burden, and there are moments still that that is the only thing that stops me. I’ve at least gotten to a point that knowing how crappy I’d feel outweighs the fleeting desire. 
So, Joe, she is right. Stop now before you get back to the point where you are lighting up with no emotion around it. Guilt and a feeling of loss can be very productive when directed appropriately. You haven’t undone the work yet, so don’t stop moving forward!

TinyBadger

Dec-26

I've recently had a few slips, myself. I just wasn't using my support and toolbox. I was going to post here but came to the conclusion it's the holidays and no one would be hanging out. I smoked this morning, had one 5 hours ago. I don't have a lot of "quality" support, other than here. A lot of people say garbage like, "well, just don't smoke!" Like it's so simple. When my closer friends found out I slipped, it was like I screwed up so bad, " what a waste, now you have to start ALL over again. Sucks to be you." That's why I come here. I can own my slips and be honest about my struggles. I restarted my timer this morning. I'm 5 and a half hours in and determined to keep trying. Don't give up, when you stop trying and resign yourself to a life of smoking, well, no one wants that. You have tons of support here and everyone here wants you to succeed. I wasn't as prepared for the holidays as I thought I was, but now I have a whole year to plan for next Christmas! What a gift that is! Here's to a new year or non smoking!

• Edited December 26, 2020 5:27 pm  by  TinyBadger
Loreficent

Dec-26

So...how did the day go Joe? Did you stop smoking? 
Let us know how things are going. You can do this!

Loreficent

Dec-26

Well.... did you use the patches before? I know you have lozenges. Maybe give the patch a go Tiny. Might be better while you’re working on your other meds. Actually, all the data supports use of NRT for higher long term success rates. Not at all saying it is better or best, and clearly cold turkey works really well for lots of folks here for sure. But if you haven’t tried the patch you might consider it while everything else is going in. The goal is stop smoking no matter what works, so pull out all the stops and keep going!! Take the emotion out of it. It’s a mind eff for sure. We all know that and all agree on that. You really do gotta stop telling yourself you need to do it “or else I’ll go nuts” or whatever it is you say when you smoke. Nobody ever died or went nuts from quitting smoking. Start turning things around to the positive spin on the thoughts. It’s ok to want one and to acknowledge you want one, but add something onto that thought instead of stopping with that thought. Something like, “I want one and I know I can choose to have one, and I know how much better and stronger my walks are when I don’t smoke”.  Maybe time for the “front leaning rest”. That’s Army speak for push-ups. Do it. Set your sights and aim steady. 

TinyBadger

Dec-26

I went and got some patches as soon as walgreens opened. I'm at 11 hours and things aren't awful. I'm holding steady but the worst time is when I first wake up so that will be my challenge tomorrow. I do feel like I'm going to die when I can't have one. My throat and chest get tight, I feel like I can't breathe and I get all sweaty. It's awful. I'm working on retraining myself to say I can have one, but I'm choosing not to. I have choices all day and today, maybe it's just for the next five minutes, I'm choosing not to smoke. I am strong, powerful and will succeed in beating this addiction. 

GI_JOE (JoelJose)

Dec-27

Thankyou Lorie!regroup Joe!interesting title right?does that mean i am out of your friendship group now??we were all non smokers and i turned to be a smoker all of a sudden.i broke something we had in common :(

I knew my determination level to stay quit was going down and down.i really needed some backup plans.i would have thought of posting here before i smoked.i had a pack by now and nothings have changed.the damn addiction is real and is following me like a shadow.i am pretty much messed up and i learned a lot from this relapse.i will incorporate the things i have learnt in my very next quit attempt.i am never going to give up and continue the smokers life.its not for me.not for anyone else here.i need some time to plan on my next quit date.let me suffer some more of those godamn cigs in the meantime.. :(

Loreficent

Dec-27

Yup. You are strong and you will beat it. Did you use patch earlier this year? 
So you went almost 190 days and didn’t die from not having one. This shows it is a feeling and not that death is actually imminent. I think the patch may help you with those physical symptoms you experience with the craves. I hope so. I know they suck. They really are transient though. 
What’s it like where you are now? Have snow? Do the dogs like the cold? Getting outside will help a lot. Is hubby still on the wagon? 
Hang in there Tiny. This can be done.

Loreficent

Dec-27

Regroup means basically to reorganize or reassemble. Like after a battle, regroup to attack again. 
So you smoked a pack? You’ve made your mind up you need some time before you quit again? Ok, but, why? 
Don’t focus on breaking anything for anyone else, focus on you and your quit. It is something that each of us does for ourselves, or should be. It would probably be easier to stop again now. Like Susan said, the season isn’t over. 

• Edited December 27, 2020 2:34 am  by  Loreficent