About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

ONE YEAR FOR DAN!!!   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Jan-1 by Loreficent; 624 views.
Loreficent

Jan-1

Congratulations Dan!!

Wow. Way to go! 
This is quite an accomplishment and I hope you do something special today for yourself. It’s been wonderful to have you here with the kind and solid support and advice. 
Im cheering you on with a great big bedtime glass of the World’s Best Chocolate Milk!!! blush There’s no need to think about forever if you stay in the moment you’re in. After all, no matter where you go, there you are!

Have a wonderful day Dan! I’m really proud of you!!! blossomhibiscusrosesun_with_facesunflowerrainbow

Ooops! I had to move this to the ONE YEAR AND BEYOND folder! Yay!!

CC to DanJF3
DanJF3

Jan-1

Thanks so much Lore and Happy New Year!  Remember you have a one year anniversary coming up soon yourself and I'm also proud of you and the others on this site whether they have maintained a long term quit or are still battling to get started.  I know the last 4-5 years of smoking I really felt pressure and desire to quit and just couldn't gain any momentum for anything longer than a few days or few weeks on maybe 3 occasions.  

For those that may be reading this that are just starting out, from my experience the keys are to get started, form a support system and educate oneself about addiction (Allen Carr's book was super helpful) and most of all never quit quitting.  It's hard to believe it has been a year as in some ways it seems like yesterday (oh and in some ways NOT).  

That's great advice about being in the moment.   I still am not able to say I won't smoke at some point in the next 10-20 years but it's OK, all anyone has it today so that's all any of us can do right now, not smoke today.  I admire those that strongly state they will never smoke again but I also don't want to gain a false sense of confidence.  It literally is one day at a time.

Thanks for being part of my support system and wishing you many great things in 2021!  Now I want some chocolate milk and don't have any!

In reply toRe: msg 2
Eve1973

Jan-1

Congratulations Dan! I know how you feel! I still take it day to day. I’m hoping that one day we will actually get through a week without thinking about smoking, a month, a year! But I think for me anyway it will definitely be a thought that comes often.

One Year is still a great place to be and of course you can always be proud that you stuck with it and didn’t use 2020 as an excuse to smoke! We all could have easily thrown in the towel! We are the 2020 rebels!

DanJF3

Jan-1

Thanks Eve!  I'm thinking you also quit in 2019 or 2020 if I recall?  It's nice to have other 2020 rebels out there.  We had no idea what we were getting into at this time last year but yes it would have been easy to throw in the towel and just smoked our ways through it but that's never a good strategy.  I know it is tough to totally get rid of thoughts of smoking but hopefully they are just thoughts and not overwhelming urges  :)

Keep hanging in there and make 2021 a great year!

In reply toRe: msg 4
Eve1973

Jan-1

Yes I’m 2020 also. 29 days for my 1 year milestone!

Not overwhelming urges, but still there after all this time..... crazy! But gonna stick with it. It’s amazing the extra money you save, energy and the many other benefits. So I will be here! 

DanJF3

Jan-2

That's awesome Eve!  I am confident you will make the 29 days.  Having upcoming milestones always helps when the thoughts of smoking pop up and I think my experience is similar, they do pop up now and then but nothing so strong that I feel a need to act on it.  I know I feel way better physically and mentally than I did a year ago so it's important to remember how we did feel as smokers and the apparently $1,100 I have saved to far is a nice motivation to keep going too!  Keep on moving forward!

In reply toRe: msg 6
Jaka38

Jan-3

Congratulations Dan. That's the most important milestone probably. I like when you said it's still one day at a time and not saying you'll definitely never smoke again. That's probably more safe and not so huge, in a sense of a pressure. I found some of your words very grounded and calming when I started this quit and wanted to say thanks for that as well. Happy new year and all the best 

In reply toRe: msg 7
DanJF3

Jan-7

Thank you Jaka!  Sorry I am slow to respond.  It's nice to see you again.  I am not great with navigating this site and just now seeing your message 4 days later. 

I'm glad you found some of my thoughts to be helpful and I hope all is well and still smoke free?  I think for all of us it is just taking this a moment at a time.  Really that's not just for smoking but really anything we experience in life.  If I said I could never smoke again that definitely would be overwhelming and make me want it more so yes, one day at a time  :)

Wishing you a Happy 2021 as well!  

In reply toRe: msg 8
Jaka38

Jan-10

It's ok Dan. I've been off lately and was so glad to see your milestone. It's such an accomplishment. I'm well and still smoke free and it's great. Bad days are getting very rare and it's so much easier than at a beginning. I still need to stay alert though smile 

DanJF3

Jan-10

Awesome Jaka!  I'm happy to hear you are still smoke free.  It really does get better as you go.  The last few months of 2020 I was so focused on the one year goal I literally had no thoughts of smoking but yes, we need to keep the guard up.  The cravings do pop up on a rare occasion but they go away whether one smokes or not so why smoke?  :)