About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New here, on my way   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jan-17 by MJoe79; 1507 views.
MJoe79

Jan-17

Hello!

I don't know how I found this forum ,but I'm glad I did.  I was searching and googling and searching and googling some more about how to beat nictotine cravings, what foods to eat to stay healthy while quitting smoking, etc.  I have not quit yet - my Q date is January 26th. I am on day 4 of Zyban and preparing myself for the date.  I don't know if not having quit yet is a problem here, I hope not.

I am 41 and this is my 3rd time quitting.  My 1st time was a million years ago, and my last time was when I found out I was pregnant and I didn't want to smoke while pregnant.  This was 14 years ago and lo and behold, I didn't smoke, but look at me now. Ugh.

The thing I am most concerned about is dealing with emotional stress. I googled and googled and all it really says is to go for a walk or squeeze a stress ball. I was hoping maybe people on here could tell me what you do to handle emotional triggers like stress and anger? 

Thanks for listening.  I am really glad I found this site and I look forward to reading through all of these posts and having support buddies and, hopefully, in return, I can support some of you as well.

In reply toRe: msg 1
gkim

Jan-17

Welcome welcome! Like you, last time I quit it was because I was pregnant. Then stayed quit for them years and started smoking again for close to 20 years. 
planning your quit is a great way to start! This site has tons of good reads. There are also great people who will give you advise and share what they went through. It helped me a lot to read others Quit Stories and Journals. It’s listed when you hit “show menu.” 
I have 74 days of not smoking. I did it cold turkey. In the beginning I went through the withdrawal symptoms and cravings were difficult. I ate hard candy to keep my mouth occupied. Also drank lots of tea. Ate fruit, popcorn and whatever I felt I wanted. Anything was better than smoking. After about two weeks the cravings slow down. I now actually have mornings where I don’t think about smoking. Mornings were the toughest. You’re still young, well younger than me, so you have a head start on getting your health back. I just saw my pulmonologist and she said once you damage your lung it damaged for good. One thing you can do to decrease my chance of getting lung cancer is to not smoke. 
I’m glad you’re here. Good luck to you. And congratulations on making the decision!

In reply toRe: msg 1
Denim50

Jan-17

Welcome to the forum MJoe79. It’s great that you have set a quit date and are making preparations to help you get started. The forum is a friendly wonderful place for support, information, and encouragement. I see gkim has already posted to welcome you too, I’m sure others will also. We’re happy to have you join us here. 

I was reading your concerns, you’ll find a lot of useful and helpful information, articles, advice, and support here to help you with any issues concerning smoking cessation. Here are just four of the many articles available to help with your concerns of stress, anger, nicotine cravings, and food to get you started. 

I know you’ll find some great quit buddies here. You definitely won’t be alone on your smoke free journey. So, stay close to the forum, read, post, join in, and I wish you the best with your upcoming quit. 

If you look in the ‘January Ex-Smokers 2021’ thread you’ll not only find others, like yourself, that have chosen to quit in January but at the beginning of the thread you’ll find a lot of great information about quitting and about navigating the forum. Here’s a quick link: 

https://forums.delphiforums.com/quit_smoking/messages/5459/1

Finding the thread for the month we quit provides a home base with other quit buddies, at the same stage of smoking cessation as ourselves, who are often sharing many of the same experiences. However, we do post all over the forum and I look forward to seeing you around the forum too. 

Have a great day. relaxed 

MJoe79

Jan-17

Hopefully I am responding to both of you (Denim and Gkim) hahaha I am currently still trying to navigate this website. I really appreciate the feedback and welcoming responses! I have been reading through different posts and it's nice to see people on different parts of their journey to quit.

I'm not sure why is the time I decided to quit.  I think a lot of it has to do with being 41 and while I don't have any known issues at the moment, I was thinking, "You know, this time is not going to be on my side forever".  I've been a smoker for 26 years and that in and of itself kind of still surprises me.  

I'm a single mom and work full-time, and I am also part-time caregiver to my Dad who is gravely ill.  My family isn't particularly easy to deal with, (meaning, the others besides my son and Dad), and I told myself, "It's never a good time to quit and it's always a good time to quit."  I can come up with 1,000 reason why now is not the right time, and then I realized: Stress and things that upset me will always happen because that's part of life.  I don't live under a rock, life happens. 

Plus I have an athletic 14-year-old son who is very health-conscience, so that's been fun hahaha. 

I read on here, and I forgot who posted it, that there's all this support for Alcoholics or other Drug addictions, but there is basically nothing in terms of nicotine and that's so true.  People don't get "why others smoke" as much as they don't get why it's hard to quit.  I'm glad places like this exist. (At least, that's my experience)

Anyways, thank you both again.  I am so glad I found this site and I look forward to meeting new people.  It's nice not to be alone.

CC to gkim
In reply toRe: msg 4
Eve1973

Jan-18

Hi MJ,

Good for you for deciding to quit! It absolutely is a hard process, but guess what, there iS NEVER a great time to quit. Life will always happen! I stopped last January and have 12 more days to get to the 1year mark. 

Would like to tell you if you make it 3 months all goes back to normal.....HAHA! Not quite....even at almost a year I still have thoughts. I am NOT trying to discourage you, I’m trying to prepare you for what to expect. If 1979 is the year you were born, then like me we have smoked basically our WHOLE adult lives. We don’t really know how to live without it. So one thing I would suggest is to give yourself a year. If you can put 26years into smoking, you can give it a petty 365days. Lol. This is a year of 1sts....every time you do a chore/drive/outings etc something in your mind will say “oh time for a smoke”......that’s when you say NO! And every time you do, the easier it will be! Drink ice water thru a straw when craving hit, stress balls are helpful, still have one in cars. Boy people can’t drive. 

You said you are taking Zyban, is that similar to Chantix? That’s what I’m using. It helped a lot but still had craves and many many thoughts. 

There are people who have managed after 3months to be fine with the QUit, I do hope you are one of them! Seriously though, this is tough, but my lord it’s SO WORTH IT! I feel SO MUCH BETTER. I no longer huff and puff going up the stairs, I have started exercising and go longer every day. My bags under my eyes went away. I sleep through the night (still having some sleep issues, but could be from something else), I no longer smell! My teeth are whiter, I feel much better all over ....hard to explain. But I want you to succeed so stay very close to this forum! It’s fantastic! 

We are stronger together, best of luck Eve

MJoe79

Jan-18

Hi Eve, thanks so much for responding! Yes, '79 is my birth year and I've been smoking since I was 15.  Zyban is the marketed name for Wellbutrin when used as a stop-smoking med.  I tried Zyban a thousand years ago when I was 19 and it worked, I just chose to go back to smoking which, honestly, I can't remember why now.  I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant, and I made an attempt to quit, I think about 10 years ago, with Chantix but it made me feel like I was the Incredible Hulk about to burst through my own body all the time, so I stopped taking it.  So, I am back on Buproprion (Zyban/Wellbutrin) which is a med that you take 150 mg of the 1st three days, then 300 mg for up to 7 weeks, with the intention you will quit smoking within the first 2 weeks of taking it.  To be honest, it could be in my head that it's going to work - I have so little faith in my ability to actually quit, even though I genuinely want to, that the idea of taking a medication makes me feel like I am actually doing something about it.  

I don't know - I'm going to do my best. I live under pretty impossible circumstances, but "waiting" for those to improve is just another excuse, and I really want to - at the end of the day - own my Quit.  

In reply toRe: msg 6
Lubbercat

Jan-25

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.  I had a cousin that quit with Wellbutrin and honestly, he quit and never looked back.  Said, he literally quit wanting a smoke!  I will tell you not to count on that but, if it happens that way, good for you.  If you do have urges/cravings, just know that every crave you get through without smoking is one step closer to not having those urges/craves.

Those "pretty impossible circumstances" will NEVER go away.  We can all find a thousand reasons why life is impossible to quit, don't let that stop you.  I am a mother of many and a grandmother to many more......I have had all my adult children live in my house with their kids at some point......I have had my mother and now my mother in law living in my house.  I have cared for family members as they have aged and then passed away.  If you wait, the day will never come that life will be perfect to quit.

There are lots of people on here to help.  I can tell you my best helps have been drinking ice water, sugar free mints or sour hard candies........I have started walking on the treadmill whenever possible........I do a lot of when the craving hits, changing my location or changing what I am doing right then.  I also, during that first month if I really want something to eat or drink, I go get it.........

I hope this helps some.  Good luck and check in with us often. 

MJoe79

Jan-25

Lubber- thanks so much for the awesome response! I completely agree with you about not letting Zyban be the thing I count on.  Maybe psychologically I think doing something feels good? I don't know.  

I have wavered in the last couple of days, leading up to my Quit tomorrow.  What I know from this support group and info I've gotten on the web, the first couple days are the hardest.  Every time I smoke, I'm looking at having to "Start the first couple days" over and over.  And you're right about the impossible stuff never going away, and I know it won't be long before I'm tested in this way, but I want to quit. I want to be done with this.  I wish I could fast forward to where everyone else on here is, but I know it's one day at a time and probably one minute at a time.  Thank you again and I plan to check in often. 

MJoe79

Jan-25

Lubber - this is a continuation of my last reply to you because I left a huge thing out. I really appreciate you explaining your kids and grandkids moving in and out, or taking care of a loved one and someone passing.  I am in this spot where  lot of 41 year old people probably are where all of a sudden my parents are older, and have "older things" happening to them.  My dad is terminally ill, my brother pretty much visits once a week and is hands off, and my sister is an alcoholic.  My son is such a saving grace and a literal ray of sunshine - and I love my job which is another saving grace.

I share all of this because any one of these problems can flare up, or become a commotion in some stressful way or another, and I know logically that smoking is really only hurting me. I am currently the "strong one" in the family, and I feel an obligation to help myself so I can continue to be the strongest.

Thanks again for your response - it really meant a lot and has me thinking. 

Lubbercat

Jan-26

I am so sorry to hear about your dad, there is nothing that can make going through this time any easier and, in that same breath, smoking won't help make it easier either!  I know how hard it is when your siblings are of no help but, your brother could just really not know how to help or is unable to deal with it emotionally.  Often people stay away from ill people because they physically and/or mentally really do not know how to deal.  I know my brother in law has been no help with my mother in law (even with my husband out of town for almost 3 months straight now), he is the type that would just put her in a home and not have to worry about it.  As for your sister, there are support groups for that one (for her and you).  It is very difficult to keep your sister at arms length.........We really have to be able to say that as much as we love them, this is their problem and if they are not willing to get help, it is not our problem.  I know, none of this is easy to deal with. 

Thank you for being so open and honest about all that you are dealing with.  Life sometimes hands us so much and just with 2020/2021 being as crazy as it has been is not helping anyone.  If you can, walking is a great escape from the stress of life.

HUGS to you