About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rolling into Day 5 - what I know so far   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jan-30 by MJoe79; 840 views.
MJoe79

Jan-30

So, as I'm writing this, I am 5.5 hours into Day 5 of not smoking.  I cannot believe I haven't had a cigarette since 8:57 pm on Monday, January 25th.

Some stuff I learned about myself in this relatively short time period:

1. It's "short" in theory but 5 days is a lot for someone quitting smoking and I think only other smokers/ex smokers would get that.

2. Sleeping longer in the mornings and purposely cutting down on idle time in the morning has helped me at that point of the day.

3. Taking my dog out for his walks I thought would trigger me because I usually smoke when I do, but honestly?  I've enjoyed the cold (NY) crisp winter air filling my lungs, knowing I'm not smoking.  

4. Day 3 was physically the hardest for me.  It wasn't "as hard" as I anticipated, which made me happy. I was definitely moody, and kept to myself.  I live with 2 people who smoke, and while they have been really conscientious of me, obviously, when I'm edgy, "getting away" is my best play. Day 3 I had a heaviness in my chest and all day shortness of breath. I looked up stuff on the internet and I think it was literally my body expelling what was left of the nicotine.

5. Talking to myself in the car is a great way to stay "busy"when I am driving.

6. I'm enjoying how certain scents are really pronounced now like lotions and laundry detergent. 

7.  I can drink my coffee and not be triggered which is a pleasant and unexpected thing.

8. I do enjoy not smelling like smoke when I go to bed, or smelling it on my hands no matter how much I would wash them.

9. I am keenly aware that I have a dull, nagging urge to quit and it seems to be there for most of the day. 

I think the biggest thing, for me, that's mattered is that this Quit, my Quit, is mine. As I anticipate stress triggers I know that stress happens whether i smoke or not. Family BS is there whether I smoke or not.  Period. Life's ups and downs are going to rock and roll whether I smoke or not.  So, I choose not to smoke.  If stress is unavoidable, then at least I can greatly improve my health in the process. At least I can be on the road to being a healthier ME. At least I can take care of myself instead of letting life beat me down.

I am learing that I am important in my own life.  And it's ok to put myself first here.

Just. Don't. Smoke. 

In reply toRe: msg 1
MJoe79

Jan-30

#9 should've said a dull, nagging urge to smoke, not quit. Sigh. 

gkim

Jan-30

That’s awesome!

Glammy2016

Jan-31

I agree with everything you said. I had to find my voice when I quit . For so many years I just sucked my feelings down the end of a cig. and after that a vape pen. After 3 years smober the vaping was like backsliding for me. I tried to convince myself it was healthier better etc. but bottom line its still an addiction an unhealthy way for me to hide my emotions rather then feel them and deal with them. Ive gotten much better at expressing myself in a healthy way.  Anger is just as unhealthy in my mind as the smoking so I just take a deep breath a walk or do something else to help me process whatever it is Im feeling.  All it takes to quit is to quit. blush

gkim

Jan-31

It does take practice to voice your emotions but it is a healthy way to live. Stress and angry will kill us if we keep it pent up. Good for you! 

Lubbercat

Feb-1

I laugh at #7 because I celebrated the day I could drink coffee again and not want a smoke..........people did not like me much when I was coming into work and had not drank any coffee.  

Sounds like you are doing great.........one day at a time and you will be at the end of a month before you know it.

MDS27

Feb-8

well said! 

Good job! Quitting really is a transformative time. You get to reinvent yourself and the sense of inner strength that comes from overcoming a difficult challenge does wonders for your confidence. Thats how I'm feeling anyway. 

dellsmate

Feb-22

Hi. I’ve just joined. Coming from New Zealand. Every time I’ve quit some stress has happened and I’ve grabbed the cigarettes to help me cope. So I’m glad I’ve read your message first. It’s so true. Life’s going to always have stress. 

Nope62

Feb-22

Welcome to the forum!

Stress is always a big factor in all our lives from time to time. Our addiction will use it to keep us hooked. The little nicotine monster will tell us that we can relieve that stress by giving it what it wants. A fix of nicotine! When in reality it only makes the stress worse! As quitters we have to realize that when we are done with that cigarette the stress will still be there, and we will feel even worse because we gave up our quit for nothing at all. We just did what the nicotine wanted us to do. Take control of your mind, don't let nicotine have it!

How far are you into your quit? What method are you using? Cold Turkey, NRT, etc.

It is nice to meet you and I hope you are successful in your quit. There are many things to read here that will help you understand your addiction. When you have time I recommend that you go to u-tube and watch videos made by Joel Spitzer. The articles here are at a very well mind.com. Knowledge is power when it comes to beating this addiction!

Take Care! 

Jatchat

Feb-22

Welcome dellsmate, I am from Australia, and on my 2nd day of my quit, stress is a killer of quits, some deep breaths and meditation can help, soothing music, a bath with lavendar oil can also help, or exercise get those endorphins working for you. just a few practical suggestions, hope they help.

Kind regards

Anthony